Free Member
Sep 28, 2013
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, I'm a newbie, recently having bought a Roller Team Granduca 255p, low profile coachbuilt based on a Fiat Ducato with 2.8jdt engine, 10 years old. It is running on Michelin Xc Camping 215/70 R15 tyres. I have read the threads about age of tyres, but wondered if I could pick the brains of you experienced guys.
Should your best tyres be on the front or back. I guess for grip they should be on front, but what about blowouts?
We seem to pay more in the Uk than other countries for most things, so was wondering if anyone has bought tyres in France, Spain or Italy?
I noticed in one thread that someone mentioned wider tyres on the rear, any ideas?
Thanks in anticipation.
Gary

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Best tyres should, in theory, be on the back. I have bought tyres from Germany in the past, simply because of availability, they were close to the same price in the UK.

Rgds
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
uk is possibly the cheapest place in the eu for tyres batteries etc , i used to import spares from all overas a trader , but as for retail uk is cheapest very often .

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Gary welcome. dont think theres really any benefit in putting your best tyres on any particular axle. as you know the front will wear quicker coz of the front wheel drive.

i also think tyres in France are more expensive

Upvote 0

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Your best tyres should be on the back. Apparently, a rear wheel skid is more difficult to correct. Presumably, the wider tyre suggestion you saw was to improve rear grip, but be careful, wider tyres could mean lower profile and that might leave you with an uncomfortable ride.

Upvote 0

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
My input is, the tyre is your only link with the road albeit a small one, so that it was one thing I will not go for cheap, on my Topaz I had Michelin, which I prefer, on my newer van I picked up yesterday, they are French tyers, which I know nothing about, have to keep them for now will change to Michelin as soon as.

Upvote 0

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Tyres in Spain were more expensive than UK we found this year after a blowout on our 4.5 year old tyres (well the MH was 4.5 years but the tyres could have been a year or so older).
Fortunately I had bought a spare before we went to Morocco so I wasn't forced to buy a replacement. I checked in 3 diffrerent places and the cost was always 20-25% higher than in Blighty. I waited til we got home and replaced all the tyres.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i have two spare wheels for the trailer and two for the truck . i also if going to morocco carry a spare casing each as well.
uk is the place to buy for sure .

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back