Tyres

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by roger buckley, Aug 31, 2011.

1. roger buckley

roger buckley Read Only Funster

Hi
    I wonder if anyone else has had this problem.
    I have had my m home from new (2007) ,and have not overused the tyres (5k in 4 years). On checking them before my European foray ,I found the walls of my Michelins were detiorating. I reported this to Michelin and they advised taking it to my local tyre dealer and getting them to refer it back to them upon changing the aforesaid tyre. The dealer recommended changing all four ,on grounds of wall detioration. Needless to say i declined the offer of Michelins and went for a higher load wearing spec of a budget tyre ,thinking that this may abate future problems.
    Michelins contribution to forestalling future problems was to use the tyres more and to fit U V protectors. As i live near Silverstone,I may ask Lewis ,the next time he is passing stowe corner to drop off a few of his tyre covers- anyone else had similar probs,or did I get a duff set of tyres?

Roger:Sad:

2. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Hi Roger, It's generally accepted (not by all) that tyres should be changed after 5 years due to the issue you mention.
    However yours maybe a lot older than the 4 years that you mention. I know that on the tyre there is a date stamp code to identify how old they are. It's not uncommon to have a new van having tyres stuck on it that are years old and been stored elsewhere.

Like you I replaced mine (5 years) and put a decent set of comercial tyres on (AV9s) and tbh, I find them much better than the XC camping car tyres, give a softer ride and have more grip. Personally I see camping car tyres as an industry con.:thumb:

3. Squire

Squire Read Only Funster

5 years or not, it's a bit of a bu99er when you have to change a set of so called top quality big-name tyres at 5,000 miles. UV damage? In England? It's not exactly the south of France! :Eek!:

4. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I have just refused a tyre from a local dealer on the ground that it was already over 6 months old and as there is a legal obligation to change them every 5 years. I asked them to drop the price to reflect the loss of use, they said no, I said good by.

Doug...

5. Cabbyshack

Cabbyshack Read Only Funster

Hi! as a "newbie" reading about tyres, what are AV9s ?

6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Are you sure about that or is it only a recommendation. Can someone clarify the legal position please.

7. Douglas

Unfortunaly I have to use the "camping" tyres as I need the max pressure of 80psi, the AV9 only has a max of 70psi another point is the Michelin XC is no longer in production so I have had to move to the Agilis, which for me is a better tyre all round because its available in 225/70 15r where as the XC was only in 215/70 15r

Doug...

8. Douglas

No, not 100% sure, but I have been told it many time by tyre fitters, but I will google it later.

Doug...

PS I have just searched for info on the age of tyres and I can find nothing, looks like i have been given a sales ploy...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  9. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

AV 9 are strong commercial tyres specially designed to cope with harsh treatment. Featuring a reinforced carcass construction that enables them to carry heavy loads, they also have a robust sidewall rubber compound to help shrug off kerbing damage.

In otherwords, if they are good enough for white van man they are good enough for me:thumb:

It is not a legal obligation BUT read on-

Are you sure about that? I dont run at more than 70psi anyway but im sure on my 16inc rim they inflate higher than that.

No it's not a sales ploy but neither is it a legal obligation,, however, if you were to have an accident the first thing that any insurance company is going to check is the tyres. Any wall damage, or any other damage to the tyres will result in a reduced payout for sure, especially on a stopping accident, ie rear shunting someone, or of course a blow out. Some will come and say that's rubbish, but I have first hand experience of having an assessor going over my crashed vehicle and initially refusing a payout based on the rear tyre of my superbike, Only quick thinking got me the payout needed.

All I would ever say is that we all put a very very big ammount of trust in a very very little bit of rubber, not worth the chance if you ask me, if it feels or looks wrong, change it.

10. Douglas

Yes absolutly sure, I'm on 15" wheels and 70psi on the back is just no enough, I do have av9's at 70psi on the front and there ok but not for the back.

The motor home was a knock down Sundance but renamed Suntor from Brown hills and putting 15" rims on was just one of the things that was done to get the price down.

Doug...

11. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

From production line to tyre retailer could easily be several weeks or even months depending on how popular a tyre size it is.. and provided it has been in a warehouse there will be no UV degradation.. and no reduction in life expectancy.

Whether in the UK or Southern Europe, covering tyres while parked up will greatly increase their life.. I bet more motorhome tyres are changed due to UV damage than from being worn out ..

If stored for extended periods it's also worth either removing the wheels or jacking the van and taking the load off the tyres and covering with old carpet or sacking .. If left standing for long periods flat spots can occur which can lead to vibration and premature side wall failure .

Five years is only a guide.. those not looked after may need changing sooner.. ones looked after they could last 7 or more years ..

They are part of the MOT so heed any advice from the inspector.. if in doubt change them.. no matter how much tread is left..

12. Douglas

I have read somewhere but can't vouch for the validity, that tyres will degrade even in storage.

Doug...

13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Indeed they will, but we are talking many years, a few months where they will have been correctly stored will be insignificant.. .. but I take your point.. 6 months is 6 months ..

you may recall the days when tyres came wrapped in paper.. some still do

Interesting reading

Six-year shelf life? Ford statement stirs tire-aging debate as DaimlerChrysler will echo recommendation.http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-4371902/Six-year-shelf-life-Ford.html

14. Douglas

I think the industry Has been getting away with bad practice for years, if we can be prosecuted for an aged tyre (IE an accident due to an old tyre) then there should be a sell-by date on the tyre, I am sure that there are some MH's that have the same tyre on for 10 years due to very low mileage.

But the only way this would get sorted is for some kind of test case.

Doug...

15. voyagerstan

voyagerstan Read Only Funster

no legal requirment to change due to age only conditon . its not only uvs that degrade tyres it general atmosferic conditions .:thumb::thumb::thumb:

16. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Good advice, a little late though.

New Dad :RollEyes::RollEyes:

17. Cabbyshack

Cabbyshack Read Only Funster

Thank you to all who replied to my question re; Tyres, very helpful.

Cabbyshack

18. frenchypilot

frenchypilot Read Only Funster

So what is the correct tyre pressure for a mitchelin campervan XC 215/70 on a 15" rim. There are no recomended pressures just the max of 80psi

19. Douglas

On my MH the recommended pressures are 80PSI back and front but I find that 70PSI is better for the front, probably because the overhang from the rear axle is at maximum and that has a leverage lifting the front axle. But that is for my vehicle, every vehicle is different.

Doug...

20. Daisy2

Daisy2 Read Only Funster

So how do you know how old the tyre is? I've been trying to find out how old the tyres are on the m/h I've just bought, but internet search hasn't helped. It has DOT U834 on it which I think is something to do with age?

Thank you :Smile:
    Daisy2