Tyres

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bailey, Oct 27, 2010.

1. bailey

bailey

Just had the m/home serviced and its first mot flew through The Fiat Dealer asked me to keep an eye out for the front tyres as he rekons they have another 1000 miles my question is how many miles should i get from the front tyres its A Bessacarr 3.0 lt also asked him about the judder and the clutch problems that some Models are having very few and only on the 2.00lt model in all the cases he has delt with they were towing a car behind them

Bill

2. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

You will get higher front on wear on front wheel drive vehicles that are towing, as they are pulling weight, those with trailers may on some angles experience more wheelspin whilst gaining grip. It all goes against tyre life, which does vary as to where you are.

Hard to say how many miles your tyres will last, as many motorhomes will often have changes through age/flat spots/side wall cracking rather than tread wear.

Rear tyres have to be monitored as well as they are carrying weight and under more extreme sideways movement. If you look inside an old tyre - even if the sidewalls are fairly ok, you will notice tramlines at the endges inside. These are caused by the vehicle leaning as it corners on insufficiently inflated tyres. That is often the cause of rear end blow-outs, as it is a hidden wear characteristic.

3. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

How many miles a set of tyres will last is dependent on too many factors to give anything like an accurate idea. What tyres are fitted, the pressures they're being run at, how heavy the vehicle is, how hard you press the loud pedal, how hard you corner....all these and more factors will have a bearing on tyre life.

On a small van I used to drive for work I got over 70,000 miles out of one set of Michelins but they were shockingly bad for grip. On a fairly sporty car I used to own I was lucky to get 18,000 miles out of Avon Turbo Speeds but they stuck to the road like soft $h1T on a blanket.:BigGrin:

D.

4. dshague

dshague Funster

today had to have a new tyre fitted bridgestone camper tyre cost £112 .had to wait 5 days for it to arrive from scotland depot there were none in england .van as 14k on clock
    tyre as been faulty from new would only stop up for two weeks .it was cheaper to change than keep paying at air pump LOL :Doh:

5. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

We've just put new tyres back on our van, same as what we had on, Michelin Camping Tyres they had done over 50000 miles:thumb: didnt want put cheapies on, seem like false economy.:Eeek:

6. nifty fifty

nifty fifty Funster

interesting how many miles have you covered ??
    re judder [no towing done] my 2.3 has had full mod. it is much better to reverse.and when driveing it has much less engine/trans noise into cab area very worthwile allso extremly happy with fiat excelent service from factory:thumb: