May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have conti vanco 2 225/70 r15 c

Now I plan to drive Down to southern France/Spain and Portugal late Dec/early Jan and come back late March/April.

Do I have all season tyres..?
Will I need special winter tyres..?

Or will I get away with as they are, I do have some snow chains for those sticky moments...

Thanks...

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Any info on this would be great...

What's been your experience when you have gone south for the winter..?

Many thanks..

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Went 18th Jan this year came back 18th April no problems at all saw snow and rain in south west France but no problems plenty of fog over Pyrenees until we dropped down onto the plains all in all a good trip(y) ps normal road tyres

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Went 18th Jan this year came back 18th April no problems at all saw snow and rain in south west France but no problems plenty of fog over Pyrenees until we dropped down onto the plains all in all a good trip(y) ps normal road tyres

Thanks for that... I'm I right in saying that it's a legal requirement to have winter tyres in France...?

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Mine are just Michelin Agilis camper tyres ? So if you find out different let me know, someone will be along to let us know, i have never heard it before?

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
My 2 new Michelin Agilis Camper tyres are marked mud and snow, m+s.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The Conti Vanco 2 are not all season tyres and I don't even think they are M+S but if they are it will be on the sidewall, as others have said I am not aware of any special tyre requirements for driving to Spain in mid winter.

Martin

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have conti vanco 2 225/70 r15 c

Now I plan to drive Down to southern France/Spain and Portugal late Dec/early Jan and come back late March/April.

Do I have all season tyres..?
Will I need special winter tyres..?

Or will I get away with as they are, I do have some snow chains for those sticky moments...

Thanks...

Well I've just by chance spent the evening with a man that has worked in Bridgestone tyres for a long time.

The C on the end of my tyres stands for commercial.
I should be ok driving down through France as long as I don't go near the mountainous regions and take snow chains if needed.
When I eventually get new tyres I'm to make sure I get proper motor home rated tyres and M&S ( mud and snow)...

And most of all I've got to up my pressures..... 80psi on the rear and 65 on the fronts for now, until I can get it weighed and then contact manufacturer for correct psi..

So....... Now I know....:cool:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
The Conti Vanco 2 are not all season tyres and I don't even think they are M+S but if they are it will be on the sidewall, as others have said I am not aware of any special tyre requirements for driving to Spain in mid winter.

Martin
Mine are continue Vanco 2 & are marked "all season" &"M&S" & have the snowflake symbol on them

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Mine are continue Vanco 2 & are marked "all season" &"M&S" & have the snowflake symbol on them
OK can't argue with that, the snowflake isn't the same one as the mountain and snowflake but we could be splitting hairs here, if they are "all season" and snowflake I don't know how they differ from the "fourseasons2" tyre.

Martin

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Jan.2014
Well I've just by chance spent the evening with a man that has worked in Bridgestone tyres for a long time.

The C on the end of my tyres stands for commercial.
I should be ok driving down through France as long as I don't go near the mountainous regions and take snow chains if needed.
When I eventually get new tyres I'm to make sure I get proper motor home rated tyres and M&S ( mud and snow)...

And most of all I've got to up my pressures..... 80psi on the rear and 65 on the fronts for now, until I can get it weighed and then contact manufacturer for correct psi..

So....... Now I know....:cool:

Have a VERY GOOD look at the sidewall of your tyres.
My mate has Conti's fitted and on his sidewall it states Max inflation 69psi.

Last edited:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Jan.2014
Yes, that's for the American market though...

That is as maybe but they are on an Autotrail Savannah circa 2014 (Possibly the name "Savannah" as in Georgia makes it American.)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I've got Conti Vanco 2 Winter tyres (same size as OP) fitted and use them all year round without problem. They have the snowflake symbol.

When I first fitted them I emailed Conti with the necessary info and they came back to me with the pressures to use. In their reply they pointed out that the rear axle weight was the maximum for the tyre, but no mention of maximum pressure which I thought they would have done as the recommended pressure (65psi) is the same as stamped on the sidewalls. (Don't think "Bolero" sounds american!:LOL:)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
If your driving down the Atlantic side of France and entering Spain at Irun, you will not need winter tyres and highly unlikely to encounter snow or any significant hill climbs. I have done this for quite a few years now and never had a problem with the weather once I get well down into France.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back