Tyres Continental V Michelin Camper (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Im fitting 4 new tyres to the van.

Wondered if anyone has had BOTH of the above and could give an opinion between the two please.

225/75/16 and Im paying between £550 and £850 for a set.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Whilst I have not had both types fitted, I currently have the Continental Camper tyres fitted and very happy with them. I did hear last year that they were regarded by some experts as even better than the Michelin's. I would go for the cheapest of the two as they are both the two best motorhome tyres out there.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
We got 50k+ miles, with original tyres, Michelin, so we replaced with the same, from advent tyres who fitted with new valves as well, :thumb: Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
I put Michelin camper tyres on last year my brother who was in the tyre business a few years ago told me that Michelin were were the best one's.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Watching this one closely Paul as I'm about to replace all 4 of the same size.
I thought you advocated the use of top end van tyres with the correct load ratings? Or have you discovered a down side?

Regards Vlad

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Paul will you let me know when you have the new tyres.

And where you park:ROFLMAO:

Mel

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Watching this one closely Paul as I'm about to replace all 4 of the same size.
I thought you advocated the use of top end van tyres with the correct load ratings? Or have you discovered a down side?

Regards Vlad

No not really Vlad, But I have been researching alot today and asking some tyre manufactures some searching questions. I initally wanted the Avon AV11 which is the new replacement for the AV9 which I was telling you before I had on my last van. However the maximum pressure is 65 PSI. Although the load is the actually bigger than the camping tyres, the tech guy said not advisable as with the van fully loaded to 4500kg I would be running at pretty much top pressure constantly. Currently I run at about 63 psi all round, so potentially could be a problem. My last van with the AV9's was 3750 T and I only ever ran about 58psi F and 60 PSI rear.

If there was a money no object scenario, then its the camping tyres, Ive decided to invest in that route. It's just a bummer that they need doing now, I thought I would ignore the 5 year rule, keep a close eye on them and get 6 year out of them. Turns out they were made in the 10th week of 2006 so nearly 7 years old a full 2 years older than the MH. Some signs of wear evident and I just never take the risk with tyres.

Link Removed

Its really weird Billy that your Brother should tell you that? Every bit of research Ive seen puts the continental at the top in all tests from Braking to Fuel effieciency.

Which suprised me and therefore hence the question.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We have just had ours replaced ( same size )
I would strongly urge you to shop around.
I was quoted £480 fitted and balanced for the Michelin 10 ply camper van tyres, but ended up going with Hancook 10 ply Camper tyres at £420

And my goodness am I glad I did !!

They are REALLY quiet, ride about 3 times better than the original Michelins and we even get VERY slightly better mpg ..
Transformed the whole experience :thumb:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Where did you buy from? A local garage or a national.

Vlad

Ps What weight is your mh.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Local.. A place called Burrell Way Tyres in Thetford
The number is 01842 766069

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
from experience more with car tyres than the camper i always found the michelins didn't wear out as quickly but when it came to grip in the wet ( which we seem to get more of these days ) the michelins were one of the worst and dunlop was one of the best.

personally i wouldn't go for michelin if not doing the mileage equivalent to the starship enterprise and would prefer to replace tyres due to wear rather than age deterioration.

edgy

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 25, 2011
bolton lancs
Funster No
MH
lo line
Exp
"I,m a newbie
Hi Paul i have just ordered 2 Dunlop sp60/lt winter tyres for my van for when we go skiing. The main reason i bought these tyres was the load rating 112/115. I hope it does the trick because my rear tyres always look overloaded , which it probaly is due to all the crap i carry with me.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
personally i wouldn't go for michelin if not doing the mileage equivalent to the starship enterprise and would prefer to replace tyres due to wear rather than age deterioration.

Sadly that will be advice for someone to bear in mind when they are sat on the hard shoulder with a blow out in their 20 year old camper with only 40000 miles on it. Age degeneration is potentially lethal, bit good luck with it :thumb: but that's for another thread.

Hi Paul i have just ordered 2 Dunlop sp60/lt winter tyres for my van for when we go skiing. The main reason i bought these tyres was the load rating 112/115. I hope it does the trick because my rear tyres always look overloaded , which it probaly is due to all the crap i carry with me.

Ian, Ive seen your van and the crap you carry. TBH mate, if you fitted a couple of tractor tyres to it, it wouldn't be enough to carry your load. :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
We have just had ours replaced ( same size )
I would strongly urge you to shop around.
I was quoted £480 fitted and balanced for the Michelin 10 ply camper van tyres, but ended up going with Hancook 10 ply Camper tyres at £420

And my goodness am I glad I did !!

They are REALLY quiet, ride about 3 times better than the original Michelins and we even get VERY slightly better mpg ..
Transformed the whole experience :thumb:

Not heard of these John, Will check them out.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Be interested what your findings are Paul hope you share them with us.

Vlad

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
John Jaws, All I can find on the tyres that you mention is conversations surrounding if they are safe or not.... Unfortunately it would be wrong to paste the link here, but the general gist was proceed with extreme caution..... not worth the risk with my weight,.. any how here's a letter from Michlien

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

We suggest that individual axle weights from weigh scale readings are used, in order to calculate pressure recommendations for each quoted load condition. These would be preferred, due to readings being taken in the actual vehicle 'running' condition - that is to say, with all water/fuel/baggage & passengers etc. on board - and may result in better comfort if the vehicle is running way below maximum capacity.
Motorhome’s often run continuously heavily laden, and sometimes overloaded, and the rear axle normally takes the heaviest loads.

The overall tyre industry, therefore, tries to build-in a safety factor by fitting strong tyres, inflated to high pressure, in order to remove the potential for consequences of overloading &/or under-inflating the tyres. Much of the improved endurance performance of CP motorhome tyres (compared to van “C” type tyres), required for these continuous arduous conditions of use, is

One 'overall' weight is of no use in calculating tyre inflation pressure levels, since the vehicle may appear to be within the maximum permitted, but in reality may have the rear axle severely over laden & the front axle very lightly laden.

We believe that the front tyre pressures have a greater influence than the rear tyre pressures on comfort and noise. Therefore, in our opinion, running with 80 psi in the rear tyres, and pressures adapted to the loads, vehicle characteristics and operating conditions in the front tyres, will give

As a guideline from the axle weights that you have supplied on the tyre size of 225/65 R16 C and being the XC Camping or the Agills camping the pressures for those weights are as follows:-

Front axle load of 1850kg the pressure should be – 62psi (pounds per square inch) per tyre
Rear axle load of 2060kg the pressure should be – 80psi (pounds per square inch) per tyre

When no axle loads are available, you would be advised to follow the manufacturers recommended pressures, indicated on the fuel cap / door-pillar / vehicle handbook in relation to the tyre size fitted – specifications can change without our knowledge.

We have allocated your message the reference number indicated above. If you need to contact us again regarding your message, we would be grateful if you could include the reference number.

Once again thank you for your interest in Michelin.

Yours sincerely
Michelin Tyre Public Limited Company

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I replaced my Michelin with the Continentals 225 / 70 / 16 . 116 walls ,

i paid £132 each fitted, ( best price on the internet was £155 , ) Bush Tyres quoted £135 ,

I went up from 215 to 225 they were £35 cheaper as they are a more common size .

I am running 80 psi all round , ( The door pillar says 5.5 bar on 215 )

The garage put 65 psi in the tyres and the van rolled all over the road and drank diesel , i contacted them and they said that is what they normally out in tyres that size on vans ...

The ride is far superior to the Michelin tyres and much quieter , i had to turn the sat nav volume down and the pre-set on the radio , Even talking in the van is easier ,

They feel more positive on steering both in the dry and in the wet, I am pleased with them,

As regards economy, i have averaged 28 mpg on the Moroccan trip so far (2600 miles ) ,

Last edited:
OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Thanks Suggy, That is the type of opinion I was after :thumb::thumb:

John, Jaws,

Have a read here, again from another site, but might interest you...

Latest reply from Hankook, whilest I was on holiday.
Hello David
In reply to your e mails that you have stated axle loading details and confirmed rear axle is single wheel fitment, the rear axle of single wheel fitment with a tyre capacity of 2060 kgs and your motor home rear axle loading of1950 has not enough safety margin. The maximum of1855 kgs axle loading is strongly advised not to be exceeded to ensure safe operation and that the tyre you have fitted is not suitable for motor home use.
Chris Baxter
Technical Service Manager
Hankook Tyre UK Ltd

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
tyres

Hi Paul, i would go with what suggy says. I emailed the tyre company and they said 60 front, 80 rear.
It was awful! Rolling round roundabouts and vibration through the pedals and steering.
I put the front up to 80 ( well suggy found a garage in Morocco to do it) and it's hugely better,

So much for contacting tyre companies for the correct info.

S:Cool:
( Motorhome Fun Morocco Branch :beer: :ROFLMAO: )

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My Michelins are set as advised by Michelin when the previous owner sent the weights in and they are 65 front 60 rear . This was before Michelin changed their advice policy to inflate rear to maximum. It drives superb and they have done over 32 thousand miles now and loads of wear left. How many miles will conti do?

Link Removed

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
You do right to consider your tyre ratings/quality carefully. My Sprinter at 34,000 was still on it's original Continentals. Not until one was recently punctured by a nail did I discover the spare fitted by the previous owner was a cheap 'Wesklake' made in China tyre which lasted a week before bursting open on the M6 at 0:45am. I also lost a wheel trim in the blowout and damaged the wheelarch molding.

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Changing tyres on a coachbuilt with near impossible access to the spare suspended 4-foot under the chassis with side mouldings down to 10-inches from tarmac is an awful job to be avoided.

The AA man attending my M6 incident decided to have the vehicle removed to a safer place, then got it jammed on the transporter as the towbar dug into hardshoulder while winched up the ramp. It took the arrival of another AA man equiped with a suitable trolley jack to free it and then discovered the rear wiring loom had been severed so none of the rear lights worked. It was 4:30am before my van moved again.

Next day I was straight into my local friendly independant tyre seller for a new set of Continentals. My tyres had loads of tread left but at eight years old and rear axle set running at near maximum loadings, peace of mind was cheap at £350.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Paul, very odd.. I got a mail from them when I made inquiries too..
Very helpful but completely different answer !!

I gave them the plated weight ( 4.1 t ) and the checked loaded weight ( 3.8 t ) and then went with the tyres I was recommended..
I was told the recommended max weight is per tyre, not per axle.. So with, say, an axle weight of 2 tonne, and each tyre able to handle 1250kg, that leaves a huge safety margin of 500kg..

As a buy the buy, since I fitted them, I have noticed ( as you do ! ) several of the small lorries in my area have the same tyres fitted

Also a s a by the by, the rating on the new tyres is pretty much the same as the old Michelin ones !

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On my reg document it gives a 3800 gross weight.I get totally confused about axle weight ,load ratings etc.
I'd be interested to see what you in the know think!
Would the Hanook 10 ply tyres be suitable for my van?

Thanks in advance Vlad.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Depends on what info you go by Vlad...

All I can report as fact is that I have now been around Europe on one trip and have now come down to southern Spain ( so about 5000 miles on them so far ) without any sort of issue at all ( he says, touching wood !! LOL !! )

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Forgot !!! The tyres also conform to SVA recommendation :Smile:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I take it that the 3800 is the plated weight is that right?
And if so that means its slightly lighter than yours Jaws.

Vlad.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I take it that the 3800 is the plated weight is that right?
And if so that means its slightly lighter than yours Jaws.

Vlad.

3,800 kg is the gross vehicle weight (GVW) also called maximum authorised mass (MAM) of your motorhome when fully loaded.
Look on the weight plate attached to the van and you should see four figures: one will be higher than 3,800 - that is the gross train weight (maximum for the van plus any trailer). One will be 3,800 as already described. Then there will be two that may also be prefixed 1 and 2 denoting axle1 (front) and axle2 (rear). For example 1 - 1,900 / 2 - 2,000
That would mean that the front axle cannot be loaded beyond 1,900 kg and the rear cannot be loaded beyond 2,000 kg. Note that the sum of the two is MORE than the MAM of 3,800 kg which cannot be exceeded (so if the rear was actually 2,000, you would have to ensure that the front did not exceed 1,800 even though it could carry more).

Once you know what the maximum axle loading is (normally the rear) you can go to the downloads > useful tools section and get the leaflet on 'motorhome tyre data'. This contains a table of axle loads versus pressures and load indexes. Read off your tyre size and necessary axle loading and you can see what load index you need for new tyres.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back