Tyres again (sorry) - Which make between Continental and Michelin ? (1 Viewer)

DuncanH

Free Member
Mar 10, 2015
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Since 2015
I brought a 2006 La Strada (transit high top panel van) last year, it’s only done 14k miles and the tyres look perfect but they are the original ones with 2005 dates. They are Continental Vanco (not campers).

I’ve read lots of posts & articles and have decided to replace them for safety and confidence in them. Decided for the extra small cost to buy specific Camper version. On reading the two that seem to always be recommended are:

Continental Vanco Camper
Michelin Agilis Camping

I’ve had 3 quotes for 5 tyres fitted a) £1,016 & £876, b) £699 & £668 and c) £725/£800. a) doesn’t know when they could get them, b) Continentals possible 27th June and Michelins 9th June very likely but c) can get them in next week so probably will be c) but I’ll try to get them to price match.

Any recommendations as to which is best considering grip (grass/mud/ice), noise, mpg, wear, etc ?
Thanks

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Keep them you're not going to overload them with a panel van.
Enjoy!

Buy something nice instead (y)

OP
OP
D

DuncanH

Free Member
Mar 10, 2015
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Since 2015
Whoops wrong dates, 2005/2006 !!! Edited post

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

DuncanH

Free Member
Mar 10, 2015
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry about the dates !!
215/75 R16 C 113/111R

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
At 10+ years old you should change them for safety based on current best practice. However, I'm not convinced you need camper versions, which are designed for heavy loading which I doubt your PVC exhibits. My 3.5t PVC has run perfectly on Continental Vanco Four Season tyres over 19K miles in 3 years. One of the advantage of Continental is they give very precise advice on pressures which if you follow it makes for a much more comfortable ride.

There are alternatives - Hankook have been spoken of well on here.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
my mitsubishi canter takes that size tyre but with 116/114 weight spec i put 6 on it last year at 75 quid a peice fitted . i find maxmiler ex very smooth ride ,quiet , good grip and at that price ok. they are chinese but these days if you want quality and a good price its the way forward .
they were from a local hi/q tyre place and fitted complete .

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Continental Vanco All Season for me. Camper tyres are a con. During 40 years in the motor trade, Michelin were the only make (other than re-moulds, remember them) that I ever had complaints with.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Both the options you offer are bloody noisy and have all the grip of tyres made of plastic.. When compared to the Hancook van tyres which are also considerably cheaper !!

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
When we collected our new Challenger here in France last year I was surprised and a little disappointed to see it had Hankook tyres fitted!
However nothing I could do.
Later I read a tyre comparison test in a French camper magazine of five tyres,yes of course Michelin,Continental and can't remember the other two and yes you have guessed it,Hankook came out top,a pleasant surprise and were the lowest price so may be shouldn't be discounted in any decision making for replacements.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I agree with the earlier post - don't think that camper specific tyres are essential for a PVC. When I replace mine it will be the Hankook ones I go for. Personally I think Michelin are over rated and over priced - just my opinion though.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
D

DuncanH

Free Member
Mar 10, 2015
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Since 2015
Thank you everybody, very helpful.

I also posted the question in another forum plus I found on this forum exactly the same question asked (http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/michelin-agilis-v-continental-vanco.121181/) in December 2015. Probably not surprising considering all the tyre threads over the years there is no one answer, I wonder if this is just personal taste, different tyres suit different vehicles (small camper to triple axle monsters) or there really isn’t much difference between the leading makes.

Out of interest and to help others searching, here is a summary of the 3 threads:

Don’t need Camper versions (for a PVC) - 2 (actual stated this but many more considering recommendations below think this)
Hankook Good - 5
Michelin Camping Good - 5
Continental Camper Good - 2
Continental 4/All Seasons Good - 6
Maximiser Good (£75 each) - 1

One thing nobody suggested was to keep using 10 year old tyres.

Hadn’t considered Hankook, I had them on a Kia 4x4 and towed a 2 ton commercial trailer and was pleased with them.

Seem pretty even so probably down to price now. Many thanks again.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Another mid range price tyre is Falken.. (not to be confused with Falcon Tyres )http://www.falkentyre.com/en
Falken belongs to the Dunlop Company,

I have 4 new Linum R51 215/75 R16C 113/111R on my van fitted by Becks..

I emailed Falken recently for correct pressures and had a reply the next day

Only had them a year so can't give a long term review. .. but so far no complaints.

Blackcircles sell them http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brands/falken

OP
OP
D

DuncanH

Free Member
Mar 10, 2015
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Since 2015
I ended up buying Michelin Agilis Camping 215/75 R16 CP. Searching around found I could buy Continental Camper and Michelin Camping at the same price. 5 Tyres including fitting £610. Brought from Kwikfit online and fitted at branch, I went to 4 different local tyre companies plus checked about 10 online prices they were between £600 and £1,000 !! Owing to the fact I was replacing tyres because of age not wear or cracking I was keen to know the date of manufacture and Kwikfit said they won't accept tyres any older than one year from any supplier. Mine were actually manufactured week April 18th 2016, literally hot of the press !!

Decided to go for Campers purely for peace of mind. There was a strange thing that my particular size camper tyre from Continental is a different spec to all the other Continental Campers, so did wonder if they were old spec/stock, also I had Continental's before so thought I'd try Michelin.

I had a number of emails with Continental and they were great answering all my questions re the difference with this particular size and I am now certain that their Camper range is definitely made to suit motorhomes and not just commercial tyres with camper written on the side. I must say Michelin help not good, all I asked them was pressure recommendation, on their website chat I told them 3,330kg gvw and they said 80 rear and 65 front (I know others with different weight have all been told the same)I I have now been to a weigh bridge and I emailed them axle weights plus GVW weight and they just answered with a totally standard reply, loads of sales talk why buy their camping tyres then suggested 80 rear as people overload motorhomes and just said "The front pressures however can be adjusted according to accurately weighed axle loads for a more comfortable ride and optimum performance" with no suggestion of what they should be (I did send them the axle weights !!. They also didn't help their case by "Dear Dave" when my name is Duncan lol. I need to buy new tyres for my car soon, they won't be Michelin, probably Continental as they were so helpful (or may be Hankook as had those on my 4x4 Kia and were very pleased with them).
Thanks again for all the advice from everybody, nice and helpful forum this is.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back