Tyres advice please

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by cyclops2, Oct 1, 2010.

1. cyclops2

cyclops2 Read Only Funster

Bought 1998 Transit Duetto 6 weeks ago from large dealer in Scotland. Very happy with everything except the tyres. Tyres are all 195R14C with good treads but they are a right mishmash. On the front are Camac 8ply 106/104N made in 2000. On the rear are nearside Vanco 6ply 102/100Q made in 1997 believed to be original tyre. Offside Hankook 8ply 106/104R 2006. Spare Vanco 8ply 106/104Q 2006. I had a problem being blown about in a crosswind.Tyre pressures in the manual were for maximum loading. I have reduced them and have yet to check if the problem is solved. I found that Continental recommend that tyres are scrapped after 10 years because sunlight etc. can effect the rubber. I think for peace of mind I will replace 4 tyres. I have asked dealer to make a contribution but am not holding my breath!!!!!

2. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

a lot of people say replace tyre's after 5 years but i never have.
    i would get them changed if was you as they are all different,i like to keep all my tyres all the same tread pattern and make.

and welcome to the forum.

chris

3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Hi welcome to the fun site
    From a purly technical point of view, all the tyres fitted are fit for purpose, we all get blown about at times, very rarley are the tyres to blame if pressures are correct Lifespan of tyres differ from 5-10 years depending on manf recomendations
    schools of thought are
    1. you must have camper van tyres fitted, cos its a camper van:RollEyes:
    2. You can run any tyre thats suitable ie C rated:thumb:
    3. You must change them every 5 or so years:RollEyes:
    4. Check and maintain tyes weekly until sidewall or other defects become apparent:thumb:
    You choose
    Geo

4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I have lots of customers like you Chris so your not alone

5. madbluemad

madbluemad

I agree with Geo. However, if you feel vunerable with the tyres that you have its not a feeling thats going to go away.

Youll always have that nigling doubt in your mind which isnt a pleasant thing, so, do what makes you happy and confident.
    Jim
    :Smile: