Tyre Valves (1 Viewer)

Doodlebug

Free Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Funster No
Exp
I am soon due to replace my tyres and am wondering about what valves should be put on the wheels, I was chatting to the tyre guys in Costco and they said they do not use high pressure valves.

The wheels currently have metal valves, are these high pressure valves to cope with the high PSI's used on camping tyres?

How can you identify a high pressure valve? Are all high pressure valves metal?

The tyres are 215 75R16 Camping.

Thanks in advance

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Metal valves are used because some vans with rubber valves have had blow outs with them, so I am informed.

Would recommend you get metal if at all possible, try a place that fits truck tyres they seem to have them.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As others have said...always fit metal valves.

last i bought were around £8 each retail...could be wrong :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hi there doodlebug,yes the metal valves are high pressure valves and should remain as such,dont let costco tell you to fit ordinary rubber valves because your motorhome should definately be fitted with high pressure valves.i am assuming that with that size tyre on a michelin camping you are running them at about 70-75psi:thumb: for michelin camping in that size you should expect to pay about £115.00 + vat expensive yes but you wont get a better motorhome tyre:thumb: regards brian jo & josh

TYKETRIPPER

Free Member
Nov 8, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
6 years
Go for metal valves

Had all five valves replaced with Metal ones on our Ford Transit Duetto due to deflation probs. Fitted at my local Ford Garage (Evans Halshaw, Gainsborough) for £35. No probs since. Hope this helps. :thumb:

Kind Regards

Ian & Jen

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
just follow the etrto recommendation

they found that the old 'up to 5bar rubber ' was marginal so now the max is 4.5 bar which gives a wide margin of safety [ this change happened about 3-4 years ago ]

above 4.5 bar , must be metal

btw , have had michelin camping/agilis on my last 2 motorhomes , worst tyres I have had in my life , and if you can find the last ADAC motorhome tyre test results you will see why ...double the wet stopping distance of the continental ; presume they last well , but if that is your main consideration you deserve all you get

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
Definitely metal, have had two blowouts with rubber valves fortunately both on the drive second time I realised problem, more than I can say for a National Tyre Company!

OP
OP
Doodlebug

Doodlebug

Free Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Funster No
Exp
just follow the etrto recommendation

they found that the old 'up to 5bar rubber ' was marginal so now the max is 4.5 bar which gives a wide margin of safety [ this change happened about 3-4 years ago ]

above 4.5 bar , must be metal

btw , have had michelin camping/agilis on my last 2 motorhomes , worst tyres I have had in my life , and if you can find the last ADAC motorhome tyre test results you will see why ...double the wet stopping distance of the continental ; presume they last well , but if that is your main consideration you deserve all you get

Did you change the michelins on your last 2 motorhomes to continental?

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back