Tyre repair liguid-NO NO NO

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by wiljoy, Apr 19, 2013.

1. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

Have just signwritten a couple of vans for a local tyre company a very intesting few facts emerged during our conversation about lack of spare wheels.
    According to a letter received by the company they are not insured to repair ANY tyre or remove the tyre from the rim if a liquid repair has been carried out. It has been classed as a hazardous substance and could cause very severe problems if exposed to any quantities.
    The puncture preventative is ok to handle.
    A gentlemen who arrived with his 7 week old car was not amused when he was told a new wheel and tyre would be required, lots of £££.
    As with most cost saving exercises problems develope later and the fact we are buying vehicles without spare wheels is totally INSANE to say the least. I have just walked away from a nearly new car deal because of a lack of spare wheel. How anyone can even think of using a motorhome without a spare is madness.
    Time will tell and probably in a few months these liquid bombs will be classed as dangerous to health.

• Like Like x 1
  2. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

i had a treatment injected in each wheel at long Marsdon last year
    it seams to work and a puncture is dangerous when moving as 50mph

• Like Like x 1
  3. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

I must stress the problem is with the liquid supplied as part of a repair kit by the manufacturers instead of a spare wheel.
    Puncture preventative liquid is NOT an issue, at the moment that is

• Like Like x 1
  4. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Liquid puncture repair is only of any use if you are fortunate enough to discover the puncture while stationary.
    If you get a puncture on the move it is likely that the tyre will leave the rim and cannot then be inflated.
    It s a very poor substitute and as already said it is madness to travel without a complete spare wheel.

• Like Like x 3
  5. chaser

chaser Funster

I have used the preventative stuff in implement tyres and barrows and stuff for years and can say I have never had them go flat with thorns and that until they just disintegrate with age, good for lawn mower tractors as well but I would not put it in road going tyres , could give you a false sense of security and as you have said tyre places have never liked working with it.

• Like Like x 1