Tyre recommendations - the big, expensive black things on the wheels..

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Trikeman, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

Hi All,
    The Sons' 2006 Apache 700 is due a full set of tyres, they are the same ones fitted from new and are showing the old surface cracks, way before actually wearing out. They are Michelin 215 75R 16c XC (Camping).
    He has had a few quotes (considering selling a kidney to fund them):Laughing: but it appears the tyre shops have difficulty getting them, the same ones that is.

Has anyone bought alternative tyres they could recommend in this size - even recommend a mobile fitting or national company would be great? He has had Continental Vanco's recommended by one tyre place but we have no experience with them - also do they have to be motorhome specific, as in say camping etc on the sidewalls?

The Continentals (in the above size) come to about £600 for four.:Blush: Now we understand that if it is spread over the next 6-7 years then that's reasonable but now the van will be used more in this coming year than it has done totally to date so tyre 'normal' wear would have to be considered - as in mileage wear.

As always, any advice/recommendations greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Trikeman. :Wink:

2. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Although not to hand (in storage) I'm reasonably sure our 2010 model has Continental Vanco tyres fitted from new - and I'm more than happy with them.

Steve

• Like Like x 1
  3. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I have Continental Vanco Camper tyres on mine, so does just about everybody else I have seen recently, so they must be pretty good. Just check they will handle the weight of your van. Mines weighs in at 3700KGs and they are fine.
    Allan

4. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

I replaced all 4 on my 2004 Apache same make and size,no probs with finding any.My local garage beat every other quote and as I've been going there for over 15 years didn't charge me to dispose of the old ones.All in with fitting cost only slightly more than vancos.Take all the advice you like but remember your only getting other people's opinions or preferences.I looked at all the alternatives but decided to stick with what was there already,after all the people that make the mh's must know a thing or two !

Vlad

• Like Like x 4
  5. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Drop "Brianjojosh" a PM...

Member on here and RVOC site... a lot of members get their tyres from them/Him ...

That`s his business Tyres... :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

Often I see recommendations that tyres should be replaced when five years old. This is not five years after they were fitted but five years after they were made. The date of manufacture is displayed somewhere on the wall of the tyre. Sometimes tyres are quite old when fitted.

Seven years is obviously far too old.

7. DonA4000

DonA4000 Funster

I wonder what the rule is on this with regards to how old/new a tyre is when being sold. I'd hate to buy a tyre that's already 3 year old :Eek!: and the dealer knowing. As they're expensive enough.

:Smile:

8. SWOOD

SWOOD Read Only Funster

New tyres

Matador are supposed to be good (lower cost division of Continental apparently). Try etyres or blackcircles, as they come to you, which can make life easier.

9. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

11. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I have Continentals on mine, which replaced the original tyres which were also Continental. It's Mercedes not Fiat but they're good tyres. I replaced mine when they were 5 years old and they had no cracks or any sign of wear, but were replaced as a precaution.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Spenders

Spenders

I ended up with Michelins

My '06 van had the original tyres fitted when I bought it in Feb this year (Continental Vanco - 225/70R15)..... they were all dated from 2006 and had loads of tread left on them as the van had only done 16,000 miles. I couldn't see any obvious crack in the sidewalls or anywhere else, but simply because of the age I wanted to change them before I did a couple of big trips into Europe this summer.

Vanco seem to have been superseded by Vanco 2, but knowing that Vanco Camping had been introduced, that was my choice.... it wasn't to be however, as I couldn't find any anywhere. I even contacted Continental direct but they could not help. Eventually I decided to go for Michelin Agilis Camping, and went to my local branch of ATS who were very good.

I know that you don't absolutely have to have 'camping' tyres and that normal commercial van tyres will do the job, but just think that the major manufacturers wouldn't spend the cash/time to develop special tyres if there was no benefit to them over normal commercial tyres.

13. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Three weeks in France ealier this year made me thankful that I had kerbing protection afforded by camping tyres. If you avoid tolls then you'll find an increasing number of villages are building traffic calming narrow slalems and with a long van it requires a huge amount of skilll to not clip any kerbs. It's quite obvious from all the tyre marks that very many vehicles secumb to a tyre twatting. Personally I don't regard Camping tyres as expensive and I don't seek cheap alternatives

• Like Like x 3
  14. Larby

Larby Funster

My son has had a tyre business for many years. He is a main dealer for Nexen.
    I needed some for my MH. He found that a Nexen met all the requirements of weight, durability etc. I needed serious convincing being a 3850 kg vehicle.
    He pointed out he has never had a single tyre come back because of bulges, de-lamination or poor quality. I was convinced even though any make of tyres would have been at wholesale to me.
    They came in a little over half price of the usual brands but what was on the sidewall ? An imprint of the Michelin man!! :Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  15. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

7 years can be just fine if tyres are looked after. Preventing UV damage is the key.

• Like Like x 2
  16. gibbon

gibbon Read Only Funster

Tyres

"I know that you don't absolutely have to have 'camping' tyres and that normal commercial van tyres will do the job, but just think that the major manufacturers wouldn't spend the cash/time to develop special tyres if there was no benefit to them over normal commercial tyres"

They do it so that they can charge extra for the niche market that they have invented:Wink:

17. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

Camping tyres do have a benefit to the manufacturers. About £30.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

That's where I get my tyres from, but it's a trek from Somerset !!!:Doh:

Michelin campers every time...you get what you pay for !!:Eeek:

I have Jim's tyre flashing thingys on and there has never been a drop in pressure !:Blush::Blush::Blush:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Spenders

Spenders

Camping tyres....?

Such cynicism chaps.... is every new development a niche market? Should I use the same logic to disregard winter tyres as well?

I can clearly see the difference in usage between a van and a motorhome and the arguments for their use seem to make sense to me. At most I can accept that they may have either no or little extra benefit to me, but I'm prepared to pay the extra premium on what seems to me to be a good bet that they are better. I want my family to be as safe as possible and for the vehicle to last me as long as possible....approx.£120 extra makes me feel better.

Simon

20. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

Brand new Continental Campervan tyres have a tread depth of 10mm, I have 4 available with 9.5mm of thread. They are as brand new and have been kept it a darkened area of my large garage. If anyone is interested in them for £250 you can have them. I am not interested in time wasters with barmy questions about age, cracks, colour or whatever if you want them, come and get them, I'm not in the habit of ripping anybody off. They were only replaced because the motorhomes weight that they came off was increased. PM's only.

• Like Like x 1