Tyre pressures

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by chally2, Apr 3, 2013.

1. chally2

chally2 Read Only Funster

Hi everyone, I am a newbie and in need of some help. I have just had Four Season Tyres fitted to my Motorhome, Vreidstein Comtracs. I am not sure if the tyre pressures on the door panel will be correct for these tyres and seem a tad high at 4.5 bar on the front and 5.5 for the rear. I am planning a trip to Norway in a couple of weeks. I would appreciate any assistance anyone could offer.

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Hi and welcome.....

the stated pressures are generally for a fully laden vehicle and are maximum pressures for the tyre rating.

some converters do state this is the actual pressure but many state lower pressures.

my last eurobox (swift kontiki on a fiat ducato) ran 64psi rear and 52psi front.

your pressures will probably depend on the actual weight of the vans front and rear axles.

to be certain you need to visit a public weighbridge as it would be loaded in use and obtain the axle weights individually and if possible email the tyre makers (not the supplier) with the info, they should then tell you the correct pressures for the actual laden weight of each axle.

over inflation can be just as dangerous as under inflation and could lead to loss of traction when braking or cornering, whereas under inflation can lead to overheating and tyre structural failure (blowout).

both will accelerate tyre wear and in the event of an accident could be a 'get-out' reason for the insurers refusing a claim..

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  3. chally2

chally2 Read Only Funster

Just read another thread on a similar subject and it gives the same advice, many thanks, off to the weighbridge tomorrow.
    Many thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if you post the axle weights here we may be able to help as there is a chart in the download section but is rather complicated to use.

we would also need the tyre size in the format...225/70R15....taken from the tyre sidewall and also if its got two wheels each side of the rear axle or just a single each side.

my rough guestimate is 62psi rear and 51psi front, at max axle weights, without knowing the actual axle weights

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013