Sep 24, 2011
Herault France
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,
We are struggling a little with the steering on our 1988 Renault Master as it does not have power steering. A friend has suggested that the front tyre pressures may be too low. He has suggested that increasing the tyre pressure to at least 50psi would make it easier to steer the van.

Any comments or feedback appreciated as regards a suitable pressure for this vehicle.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Becky:thumb: Can't help with your particular vehicle, but I do know that the garage that does my MOT and puts air in my tyres for me, told me that my tyres need more than it states in the book..... so it could be the same for you. Joy

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Try the fronts at 55psi. The rears at 60psi. Do not exceed the tyre manufacturers recommended pressure,it will be on the sidewall.
The new Master states 55 front and 61 rear but no mention of the older van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
beckysharpe

beckysharpe

Free Member
Sep 24, 2011
Herault France
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Snowbird,

We'll try your suggestion of 55psi on the fronts and 60 on the rear tyres.

I found a message on Google which suggested checking the figures on the side of the tyre which in our case says 'Max load 2340 lbs (1061Kg) at 65psi '. Then you take the total weight of van and load and divide this by four. In our case this is 3500kg divided by 4 = 875kg. Then you work out what this value is as a percentage of the max load allowed for the tyre (2340kg). In this case it is 875 divided by 1061 multiplied by 100 gives 82%
Then 82% of 65psi gives a recommended tyre pressure of 53psi. Simple.

This is close enough to your figure for us.

Thanks,

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Becky,

The safest answer is to use a public weighbridge to weigh your m/h in fully loaded condition as you would have it when in use, you want to weigh front and rear axles separately.

When you have the weights then contact the customer support dept for your tyre manufacturer with the type and size of the tyres and they will give you the exact pressures to use.

I hope this helps, Brian

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Just one other thought is that your steering could be affected by worn tyres or poor wheel alignment......may be worth checking
Brian

OP
OP
beckysharpe

beckysharpe

Free Member
Sep 24, 2011
Herault France
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Becky,

The safest answer is to use a public weighbridge to weigh your m/h in fully loaded condition as you would have it when in use, you want to weigh front and rear axles separately.

When you have the weights then contact the customer support dept for your tyre manufacturer with the type and size of the tyres and they will give you the exact pressures to use.

I hope this helps, Brian

Thanks for the info. By chance we have just today recieved a copy of Haynes' Motor caravan manual which describes the need to weigh the van on a public weighbridge.

As regards the tyres, these are new all round (but to me look a bit flat) but we shall certainly take a look at getting the wheel alignment checked.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
.... and the garage that puts my air in says the air measure on the vehicle and that on the tyres is different. Contrary to other, I go off their advice and they put more in because I have problems with the weight on the side of the vehicle ....... but then I am not very technical minded so sorry if this incorrect advice. :Sad:

OP
OP
beckysharpe

beckysharpe

Free Member
Sep 24, 2011
Herault France
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
.... and the garage that puts my air in says the air measure on the vehicle and that on the tyres is different. Contrary to other, I go off their advice and they put more in because I have problems with the weight on the side of the vehicle ....... but then I am not very technical minded so sorry if this incorrect advice. :Sad:

The thing is OH used to drive an identical vehicle a few years ago when he took disabled people on outings. Although it had done many more miles than our new/old van he said it was much easier to handle. It was serviced regularly in Cork at the workshop which looked after all the cars, vans, so they likely factored in handling/load etc. We are still learning by degrees so thanks for your input.

e.t.a. as I recall the Master he drove then could accommodate around 15 passengers, wheelchairs etc. I know he had to take a mini bus test, so I figure it would have been quite heavy when fully loaded thus.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back