Oct 25, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
hymer b544
Exp
new
Hello Everyone
Does anyone know the correct tyre pressures for a Hymer B544 1989 3.5 weight limit?
I have been told 70psi front 65psi rear would welcome any firm knowledge. Also looking for a owners handbook for the Hymer side of things (I have the Peugeot) as cannot find anything Anywhere!

Best wishes to all, see you out on the road

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
A few years ago on another forum, the advice if requiring English language manuals was to email kundendienst@hymer.com providing your chassis or serial number and confirmation of the model year and model to request one.

OP
OP
Jamie 3862

Jamie 3862

Free Member
Oct 25, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
hymer b544
Exp
new
Hey thanks for the replies....I shall go and have a look at the tyre info tomorrow and then suss it out from there.
I ride a bike in spare time so am aware of tyre pressure importance but that is so simple, compared!!
Byee

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The guy that does our tyres always puts them at max but it's not his dentures that rattle, he says if you don't want to run at max it's easier to let some out than put it in.

You need to go to a weighbridge and get front and rear axle weights

I use the formula axle weight/maximum weight from tyre load index multiplied by maximum pressure. Usually correlates with anything I see on charts or from manufacturers.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
When we collected our new motorhome it had an incredibly hard ride. When we checked the tyre pressures we found they were at 80 psi.

Having weighed the axle and checked the weights with Continental we reduced to 62psi front and 56 psi rear. It totally transformed the ride.

OP
OP
Jamie 3862

Jamie 3862

Free Member
Oct 25, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
hymer b544
Exp
new
thanks for the info! I have checked with firestone and they recommended 69 psi rear 65 front.
So will check and adjust as necessary.
Many thanks to all who responded.

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Tyre manufacturers put the max pressure tyres can take on the wall of the tyre and do not forget as tyres warm up the pressure goes up.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Tyre manufacturers put the max pressure tyres can take on the wall of the tyre and do not forget as tyres warm up the pressure goes up.
The max on the wall is for cold setting though, so no need to worry about them warming up.

Martin

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
When I picked up my new MH the prssures were 60 psi all round as stated on the door pillar . My MH has an Alco chassis and in the Alco chassis handbook it states the pressures should be 80psi, therefore I now run 60 front 80 rear .It drives ok and feels fine ,just hope I haven't got the wrong end of the stick.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
When I picked up my new MH the prssures were 60 psi all round as stated on the door pillar . My MH has an Alco chassis and in the Alco chassis handbook it states the pressures should be 80psi, therefore I now run 60 front 80 rear .It drives ok and feels fine ,just hope I haven't got the wrong end of the stick.

You haven't got 'The Wrong' Melvin but ours is on an Alko as well but, using the weight index as spoken previously, I run at 54psi front (1750Kgs) and 63psi rear (2000Kgs)
I had the tyres filled like you before I read about load indexes. I was warned that my fuel economy would dive as a result of the lower pressures but that hasn't happened.
What has happened is that the van' drives much better than before with no hint of over/understeer.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
My book says 80 all round and that's what I run them on, without any hassles at all. They do heat up and the pressure goes up, but that's what both the tyre manufacturer designed them for and Alko tested them for.

Don't want a sidewall blow out being under pressure.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
My book says 80 all round and that's what I run them on, without any hassles at all. They do heat up and the pressure goes up, but that's what both the tyre manufacturer designed them for and Alko tested them for.

Don't want a sidewall blow out being under pressure.
Our motorhome came with all tyres at 80psi and I almost lost my fillings with the harsh ride.

On checking axle weights with Continental tyres I reduced the pressures to 52psi front and 58psi rear. The ride was transformed, and I still gave my fillings.

When I queried the 80 psi with the dealer I bought from they said that the high pressures stopped the "tyres taking a flat" when stood for long periods on their forecourt. They recommended checking axle weights, (although they didn't mention that at the handover).

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I now run at 55 psi all round, more comfortable and no problems.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I can fully understand the reasoning behind lowering tyre pressures, however this now means that the tyres themselves and more importantly, the tyre walls, are acting as a means of absorbing the road shocks. It's only my opinion but the suspension is designed for that very reason, not the walls of the tyres.

I'll keep mind at the recommended pressure as I'm happier to do so. Horses for courses I think.

Mind you, if the councils and highways kept our roads in the conditions they should be in, then we'd all have a safe smooth ride every day:)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I'll keep mind at the recommended pressure as I'm happier to do so. Horses for courses I think.
:)

But recommended by who? I prefer the recommendation of the tyre manufacturer to anybody else. After all they design and manufacture the tyres, so I figure they know best. If you have Continental tyres they will tell you what the pressure should be depending upon axle loading for each type and size of tyre they make. I just weighed each axle and looked on the charts; 50psi front and 76psi rear for my 225/75R16 116CP tyres.

Rusty Pumper

Free Member
Mar 10, 2017
Funster No
I'm a newbie,
I'm not sure if the principles are the same for calculating caravan or motorhome tyres, per se; but I found these videos on YouTube c/o 'Meet the Trudgians' channel, in general very helpful.

And also:

Let me know if it's helpful/ appropriate or not.

Cheers.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
I have a new bolero 612ek tyres at 80 psi as recommended by fiat al ko and swift. on the side of the continental vanco tyres 69psi max pressure so making enquiries to find the correct pressures.

Rusty Pumper

Free Member
Mar 10, 2017
Funster No
Have a look at Dan Trudgian calculator above, if you've not already done so. Otherwise more knowledgable users will hopefully point you in the right direction.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
The only way to know is to weigh, each MH is different, therefore you can't take what someone else's is as a guide.
On our 2014 Hymer B544 with extras adding to the weight and on 15" wheels with Continental tyres came out at 76psi rear and 56psi front.
I had to weigh it and then download Continentals technical booklet to come to this.
I also use TyrePal to keep an eye on things and the pressure goes up by 8 to 10psi with the temperatures remaining well under the recommended.
I can't understand anyone taking notice of FIAT ect or the chassis/motorhome manufacturer, they will always say the maximum.
I used to have ours way too high at the front before checking.
Tyres are part of the suspension system in any vehicle, being a life long motorcyclists makes you care more about them being right.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back