Tyre pressures again - Michelin advice

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ericonabike, Feb 13, 2014.

1. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

Just replaced my 7 year old o/e tyres with Michelin Agilis Camper [£540 from Black Circle tyres]. The pressures suggested on my van [Autocruise Starseeker] are 60 front and 65 rear. Thought I'd email Michelin to get their take on it. they asked for actual axle weights, so I took it to the weighbridge, paid my £11 and found they were 1830 kg front and rear [fully loaded, long wheelbase, not a lot in the overhang]. Michelin's response was as below:

"I can confirm that Michelin's suggested tyre pressures for your motorhome fitted with 225/70 R15 CP Agilis Camping tyres are as follows:

Front 1830kg - 56psi
    Rear 1830kg - 80psi

The suggested tyre pressure for the rear of a motorhome running on the Agilis Camping is 80psi. This is due to the construction of the tyre with 2 casing plies enabling the use of higher pressures. Its construction and the use of higher pressures is designed to cope with continual heavy loads sometimes found on Motorhomes and can help with wear pattern issues if lower pressures are used particularly on the rear axle.

The front pressures however are adjusted according to accurately weighed axle loads for a more comfortable ride and optimum performance."

To my ears, this sounds as though whatever the rear axle weight they will recommend 80 psi. In which case getting the precise axle weights seems pointless! And I'm also not happy with their reasoning - just because you can [run at max pressure] don't mean you should! Any thoughts?

2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Yes 80 rear is michelins stance
    I ignore it

3. Tude

Tude Read Only Funster

Presure ?

Well I was running mine at 60 front 80 rear similar weight to you my mpg went down.put them to 75 front 80 rear mpg back to normal. Same size tyres
    Tude

• Like Like x 1
  4. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

Hmm. seems their rerquest that I weigh the two axles was a waste of time. It only cost £11 but still - they might as well have worked on the max allowable axle weights that I gave them in the original request. And since the van was fully loaded [as they requested] I'm not going to have the rear axle loaded any greater than the front, which they've suggested I run at 56psi. Disappointing. I may ring their help line to see if I can get to talk to someone sensible.

5. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

It'll make no difference it is their policy now set in stone.
    Given what you know it is up to you to make an informed decision. As I said I ignore their rear recommendation.

6. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

What's to ask? The pressures they gave are 'suggested'.
    This will be based on their research and development.. But as it's suggested then putting your front pressure up won't make a bit of difference as it's well within tolerance of the tyre. Their suggestion of lower pressure is purely a comfort based suggestion. The tyre is obviously capable of running at 80psi if you want it that high at the front.

7. mentaliss

mentaliss

The £11.00 you paid is that a council managed weight bridge? the reason I ask is ours here in West Sussex is free:Eek!:

8. Archer

Archer Funster

Hi Mentaliss is that the one in Chichester your referring to Gary.

9. mentaliss

mentaliss

A big no, its on the A27 towards the end of the shoreham by-pass, west sussex

10. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Pressure

Same tyres, I run at 80 psi all round, and have done for years - good fuel economy too.

Russell

• Like Like x 1
  11. dpsuk999

dpsuk999 Funster

Same tyres too and I run 80psi at front and 51psi on rears on twin axels