Tyre pressure

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DBSilverfox, Mar 21, 2011.

1. DBSilverfox

DBSilverfox Read Only Funster

Can I just make sure I have this right?

i have an Autoquest 100, maximum load on each axle is 1600 kg. The van is fitted with the standard tyres, 195/70R 15C, 104/102R

In the handbook it says tyre pressures front and rear should be 44psi.

If i check out this website http://www.tyresafe.org/data/files/motorhome leaflet.pdf

It says it should be 57 psi. On the inside of the door there is a sticker saying the tyre pressure should be 58.

So am I right to ignore the handbook and go with the 57psi? It just seems to be a really big difference between the two "versions of the truth"

Thanks

David

2. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

I also have such a discrepancy between the handbook and the sticker/tyresafe website. I have been advised to always go by the sticker on the door post which is what I do.

3. icantremember

icantremember Funster

The only sure way to get correct pressures is to contact the tyre manufacurer by tel or email with the details of your tyres ( size & rating etc all on the tyre sidewall) together with maximum axle loadings.

To get accurate axle loading it is worth using a public weighbridge with the m/h fully loaded.

I did this with Michelin and they replied very quickly with correct pressures.

Hope this helps

4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We run our Autoquest 100 on 44psi (as per Explorer Group recommendations) and it handles, noticeably, much better than at the higher pressure.

I downloaded a small HTML data sheet from the Explorer web site not long after we got our van. It has since been deleted from the Explorer site (they only maintain newer documents) but I will be happy to send it as an e-mail attachment if you wish David, just send me your e-mail address in a PM.

5. DBSilverfox

Thanks, yes, i took it over a weighbridge to check if i needed to go on a diet :BigGrin:

I adjusted mine yesterday before going out and dropped them from the 50+ they were, down to 44. I agree the ride was much smoother and not so "bouncy". Then I discovered the web site, and that got me concerned...

Might check with the tyre suppliers. don't understand why it can't be simple :Angry:

David

6. poppys

poppys Read Only Funster

I have a Elddis Firestom,which is the same as the Autoquest on a Peugeot boxer base,with standard tyres.The door pillar sticker says 58 psi,it does seem to be a hard ride so I think I shall reduce the pressure to 50 and see how it goes.But if anyone gets the definitive answer could they please post it. Chris

7. nannyjan

nannyjan Read Only Funster

Hi David, I have an Autoquest 130 and I was so confused with conflicting advice on tyre pressures so I telephoned the tyre manufacturers and they were so helpful. They advised me to drive to a weigh bridge station and get the front, rear and total axle weight and to telephone them back with these details and whilst on the telephone they advised me of the correct tyres for front and rear tyres. The front tyre pressure advised was 55 with maximum weight of 1516 and the rear was 66 with maximum weight 1755. Hope this is of help to you. I dont have their telephone number to hand but you will find it on their website www.conti-online.com Keep Smiling Nannyjan

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I've just had a look at the Explorer web site and found that they now have the Motorhome Handbooks in the Archive Section.

In the 2005 edition they say:
    Interesting that in the 2003 handbook the front and rear pressures are 44psi for all Autoquest/Avantgarde models but in the 2004 handbook they are 44psi for the 100 and 200 models but 66psi for the larger ones.

They don't have a contact e-mail address but there are geographic address and telephone/fax numbers Here if anyone fancies contacting them.

9. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

Hand books often give the wrong tyre pressure the reason being that this will usually give a better ride, but tyre pressures are so important to get correct for more than one reason, too lower pressure will cause overheating excessive tyre wear and poor fuel consumption, too higher pressure will cause excessive tyre wear poor handling, both can lead to a blow out and will cost money at best lives at worst.

icantremember is spot on with the best way to get the correct pressure and of course check them often, tyres are so often overlooked.

Hope this helps.

All the best Rick.

10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

But surely if a handbook gave a pressure that (being wrong) was dangerous or even just if it led to excessive wear (= shorter life) wouldn't the company be liable for the consequences?

11. DBSilverfox

ha ha - it is all becoming so much clearer isn't it? :Doh:

David

12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

You'll have to give Explorer a ring David :BigGrin:

13. Terry

Terry Funster

I would give the tyre company a ring :Wink::BigGrin::thumb:
    terry

14. DBSilverfox

no phone number for Bridgestone, so email has been sent. Will let you know what they say :Smile:

David

15. DBSilverfox

Quick response from Bridgestone - very impressive:

Here was the question:

I have a Motorhome fitted with Bridgestone 195/70R 15C, 104/102R tyres. Handbook says inflate to 44psi, but door frame says 58psi. The van has been over a weighbridge and loading is as follows: Front: 1320kg (1600 max allowed), Rear: 1440 (1600 max). please can you advise optimum tyre pressure for safety and smooth ride for these loads? Thank you

Bridgestone Response:

Hello.
    For the axle weights stated, the optimal pressure would be 57psi (based on 1400kg front and 1500kg rear)

Kind regards
    BSUK Tech Dept

So there we go. Looks like i am spending another 20p to fill them up again. This hobby is all spend spend spend :Rofl1:

David

• Like Like x 1
  16. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

Correct that is why Ford are facing so many law suits in America over their Explorer model keeps turning over at speed, down to them giving wrong tyre pressures in the hand book to improve ride quality.

It could be that the hand book given with a motor home is the base vehicle before a body was put on it which of course would also be a lower pressure.

you wouldn't chuckle would you

All the best Rick

17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

In my case it is the Explorer handbooks as mentioned in my post last night (18:51) so more than the base vehicle.

18. DBSilverfox

Hi Graham, yep that is the same manual I have. It makes no sense to me at all.

the difference between 44 and 57 is such a lot that it would seem that following the wrong advice could be dangerous. I might phone or email Explorer/Elddis/whoever to get an explanation. nothing to lose other than my patience...

David

19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Good idea David - save me doing it :Wink:

20. DBSilverfox

And the response from Elddis is "we would always say to go by the handbook".

OK decision made. Graham, if you have been running on 44psi safely, and if I think the ride feels smoother at 44 than at 57 (which it is) then I am leaving them at 44. Please update me if you have a blowout before I do though :Wink: :Rofl1:

David