Tyre pressure (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
I have a rapido 9097F with Avon 215/70R/15C 109/107 R tyres fitted.

Anyone any idea what correct tyre pressure should be?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I run my CAMPER rated tyres at 5.5bar. But I suspect that a max of 55 to 60 psi will be on your tyre wall of NON Camper tyres?

Pete

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The only way tell is to weigh the van fully laden. Front wheels only, then rear wheels only. Only once you know the weight can you find the correct pressure.

My 4.2 ton van only needs 3.25 bar in the front, which makes a massive difference to drive quality compared with the 5 bar that the van manufacturer recommends

Once you know your weight you can email the tyre manufacturer and they will give you the correct pressure

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I wasn't aware that camper tyres ran higher than white van man tyres, I know our non campers run at 80 psi if you need to.

The answer to your question though is take it to a weigh bridge to get axle weights and then contact Avon tyres.

Martin

EDIT oops too slow, again.

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Cheers will email avon I know the unladen Weight with full water and diesel and know what the max can be.
Also know roughly what it should be fully laden but will receive take to weighbridge to check

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You need individual axle weights, not the total.

The as Robert says you need to speak to the tyre manufacturer.

No matter what anyone else might tell you this is the only way to get accurate pressures.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Good luck contacting Avon, they may give you advice but not all manufacturers will. Pirelli for example recently told a friend they couldn't advise and they should go by the vehicle handbook recommendations. The only manufacturer who seems to give detailed advice is Continental - but hopefully a few others do as well.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Michelin does as well, but just give the base vehicle type and don't mention it's a Motorhome,
they are obviously under the impression that Motorhomes alway run around at Max vehicle weights or over :lipssealed:
why they assume that I have know idea!
but if you give Axel weights and Base vehicle type and of course tyre size and load rating then you will get sensible figures,

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Told them what I am loaded at and also what max axle weights will be if fully loaded. We will see will let you know if and when reply.

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Response recd:-

With regards to your enquiry, we produce the 215/70 R15C 109/107R size in our Avanza AV11 range of Commercial van tyres. I think at this point, I need to make you aware that our Avanza range of van tyres are not marked “CP” – specific Motorhome tyres. They are “C” tyres – designed for usage with Commercial vans. The main difference is that the CP marked tyre is designed to be inflated to a pressure far in excess of our C marked Commercial van tyres. In saying that, we do get a lot of Motorhome users using our tyres and can advise on starting pressures for our tyres based on the information you’ve supplied.

Should you wish to use our Commercial van product rather than an OE replacement marked with CP, starting pressures based on the max load of the tyre (1030kg), max pressure of the tyre (65psi) and gross axle weight you quote for your vehicle would be:

Front: 1800 = 56psi, 1850 = 58psi

Rear: 1900 = 60psi 2000 = 64psi

These values are based on a single fitment rear axle. Please note the maximum inflation of the tyres must not exceed the maximum pressure of 66psi.

I would also recommend that you advise your insurance company that you have “C” tyres fitted rather than “CP” tyres, as some do deem it a modification to the vehicle. Should anything happen where a claim would be needed to be made and this information wasn’t known to them, some may render the policy invalid.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
My new pvc x250 was supplied by the dealer with Michelin Acuras with pressures of 70psi all round, which I found too jarring and uncomfortable. I have reduced them to 60/52, but I think they need to be reduced even more, but will check the axle weights beforehand. Some manufacturers state a max of 60 psi. It really seems a very grey and vague area. Since it is a pvc, I can't see that the insurers need to be informed that the tyres a type C.

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
I was never asked by comfort about my tyres and I personally don't see a C being a modification over CP tyres.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
It would only be a modification if they are different from the original tyres

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
It would only be a modification if they are different from the original tyres
Maybe each insurers views different. However when buying 2nd hand how do you know what original tyres were. You can only answer to the best of your knowledge. I am an insurance broker and I personally would not class other as a mod.
On all the online quotes I obtained I was also never asked this question.
It's a grey area tbh. Changing from steel to alloy has always been classed as a mod on old days but these days no issues
Going from. 15 to 16 inch wheels would be a mod.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Maybe each insurers views different. However when buying 2nd hand how do you know what original tyres were. You can only answer to the best of your knowledge. I am an insurance broker and I personally would not class other as a mod.
On all the online quotes I obtained I was also never asked this question.
It's a grey area tbh. Changing from steel to alloy has always been classed as a mod on old days but these days no issues
Going from. 15 to 16 inch wheels would be a mod.
I'd check with an authorised dealer as to the original tyre spec - or refer to the owners handbook
Having the incorrect tyres could be dangerous and invalidate your insurance.
Worth checking to be in the safe side

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
I have Michelin Agila camper on my Rapido and was told by Michelin to put 80 psi in all round, so i run 80 psi on rear, and 70 psi front, works for me, when they get warm they show about 10 psi increase all round so 90 psi 80 psi.
The reason they say 80 psi is they assume campers run heavy all the time, that's a quote straight from Michelin.(y)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
My mate has just bought an Autotrail Savannah.
He has previous as a caravanner but knows nothing about the finer points.
We visited him on a site at Charmouth on our way back from Bagwell. He related that, when he picked up the 'van he asked what the tyre pressures should be.
"Oh, 80psi" came the reply. So he drove it back from Newark (hint) to Cornwall and he was alarmed at the skittishness and the inability for him to hold a straight line.
He then went to a Fiat Professional garage to be told that 80psi was too high and he should aim for 75psi.

I went outside and examined his Continental tyres, (Camping), 225 x 75 x 16 Load rating 116 and there, on the side wall for ALL TO SEE!!! it said Maximum pressure 69psi.
When I got home I did some digging and on the Continental Data sheet it states, with a maximum load (2100kgs front, 2400kgs rear) he should be putting 55psi on the front and 65psi on the rear.

I've sent him a text and hopefully he will do something about it.
Including, I hope, ringing up a certain Dealership in Newark and asking for the salesmans Gonads on a platter.

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
I'd check with an authorised dealer as to the original tyre spec - or refer to the owners handbook
Having the incorrect tyres could be dangerous and invalidate your insurance.
Worth checking to be in the safe side
Totally agree however tyres fitted by camper uk do you really see them fitting tyres which are not fit for purpose.
The whole reason of the thread is to point out the importance of tyre pressure
Tyres are often personal preference
I regularly change my tyres own cars are generally the standard fits are not fit for the miles do
I have read on this forum and several others that avon or hankook tyres are becoming the preference for lots of MH drivers.
My tyres are almost new and a int changing them until needed

I had a long conversation with camper uk and other MH dealerships over suitability of avon tyres and not once did anyone sat they are not fit for purpose. And no I did not ask Brownhills .........

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
For interest. I boosted the Thread on TPMS (Below) as I found this :-

Broken Link Removed

looks a very good price as an introductory offer?.

Pete

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
For interest. I boosted the Thread on TPMS (Below) as I found this :-

Broken Link Removed

looks a very good price as an introductory offer?.

Pete
Yeah seen these before was a thread on them not sure if needed still sat on the fence re tyrepal

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yeah seen these before was a thread on them not sure if needed still sat on the fence re tyrepal
How would you know you had a tyre loosing pressure and in danger of blowing out, or how would you know you had a rear brake binding and overheating, of course you could just leave it to the old and trusted way and wait till something goes bang.

Just my thoughts,

Martin

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

My issue is more persuading "er indoors" that £100-00 expenditure is a "necessary", I`m convinced BUT?????.

Pete

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Michelin does as well, but just give the base vehicle type and don't mention it's a Motorhome,
they are obviously under the impression that Motorhomes alway run around at Max vehicle weights or over :lipssealed:
why they assume that I have know idea!
but if you give Axel weights and Base vehicle type and of course tyre size and load rating then you will get sensible figures,
Surely if you tell them what tyres, ie camping tyres they will presume your asking about a Motorhome?

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Surely if you tell them what tyres, ie camping tyres they will presume your asking about a Motorhome?

I don't pay extra for camping tyres! because the van is used very regularly and I increased the load rating from 112 to 121 to give me a ample increase (safety) margin, plus I have two complete sets of wheels, one winter and one summer, specifically on my MH I run 65psi rear and 55 psi front that gives me a very comfortable ride, as opposed 80psi recommended if you tell them it's a camper,
as a side note I also use tyrepal and all my tyre temperatures are consistently low showing that they are not under inflated for the load they carry, but of course YOU pay your money and make your choice ;)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Over several years of reading these threads on tyre pressures I have found that the following calculation works very well in comparison to the tyre manufacturers figures (unless they say 80 psi whatever the load).

From the load rating of your tyre you can find the maximum load per wheel on the internet multiply this by two to get a max axle load, you also need to have visited a weighbridge to get your actual axle loads, and you need to know the maximum tyre pressure.

Do the calculation max tyre pressure/max axle load x actual axle load = tyre pressure.

Taking the example below for 1800 kg axle 65/2060x1800=56.79psi or rear at 2000kg 65/2060x2000=63.1psi you will find that these figures are within 1 psi of the manufacturers figures, if you want a safety margin I would say always go up a bit not down.

Should you wish to use our Commercial van product rather than an OE replacement marked with CP, starting pressures based on the max load of the tyre (1030kg), max pressure of the tyre (65psi) and gross axle weight you quote for your vehicle would be:

Front: 1800 = 56psi, 1850 = 58psi

Rear: 1900 = 60psi 2000 = 64psi

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back