tyre pressure (1 Viewer)

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Trying to find the tyre pressures for an autotrail tracker EKS, looking at previuos posts
am still non the wiser.
I am aware that the pressures may vary depending on axle weights;but the sticker on my van shows

Link Removed

79.5psi:Eeek: seems quite high what do you think?

Pressures in the Fiat handbook are somewhat confusing

vin plate axle weights

Link Removed

just looking for a guidence pressure

Regards

sandyketton

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
South West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Eight years but ten years tugging in an earlier life
Hi,

My Fiat shows 79.5 too, however I wrote to Michelin with axle weights and tyre type and they came back to me with 55 front 65 rear based on that info.
They look OK and the ride seems softer too.

I would suggest that you contact your tyre manufacturer for guidance, with your weighed axle weights, and keep a copy of their reply in the motorhome for reference purposes.

Sandy

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
You can check using the following link. You just need the actual weight on each axle and the tyre type (the letter 'C' means commercial usually - not 'Camping'; that's a different suffix.

Link Removed

Hope this is of use.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi,

My Fiat shows 79.5 too, however I wrote to Michelin with axle weights and tyre type and they came back to me with 55 front 65 rear based on that info.
They look OK and the ride seems softer too.

I would suggest that you contact your tyre manufacturer for guidance, with your weighed axle weights, and keep a copy of their reply in the motorhome for reference purposes.

Sandy

Think that this maybe the option can't be 79.5 is correct unlless thats a max:RollEyes:

You can check using the following link. You just need the actual weight on each axle and the tyre type (the letter 'C' means commercial usually - not 'Camping'; that's a different suffix.

Link Removed

Hope this is of use.

John

Thanks for the link still a bit confusing ;but if i'm reading it correct the pressures look to be around the 60psi

215/70R15 CP not sure what the p stands for?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Looked at that info site ( bloody handy ! Thank you !! :Smile: )
Went and took pen and paper outside..
Crawled around on hands and knees writing all the tyre details down and getting crap all over me !!

Opened the door to look at the weight plate and lo ! Bloody tyre pressures clearly showing on the sticker inside the door jam ! DOH !!!!!

But now I have a new problem.. I cannot find the weight plates !

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Looked at that info site ( bloody handy ! Thank you !! :Smile: )
Went and took pen and paper outside..
Crawled around on hands and knees writing all the tyre details down and getting crap all over me !!

Opened the door to look at the weight plate and lo ! Bloody tyre pressures clearly showing on the sticker inside the door jam ! DOH !!!!!

But now I have a new problem.. I cannot find the weight plates !

My vin plate is on the crossmember just under the bonnet

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Having googled around i am no closer to finding some kind of guide to pressures.

One school of thought is that the stickers represent maximum load pressure and should be used at all times, others say that these pressures are unrealistic.

Others say that the tyre companies (knowing your axle weights) are usually much lower and that they know more about tyres than the manufacturers.

I am more inclined to believe the tyre manufacturer than Fiat /Autotrail( who will just refer you back to Fiat)

Over inflated or under inflated cause problems, just would like to be somewhere in the middle.

I have sent an email to Michelin with front and rear axle weights see what comes back

regards

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Sinbad1 Quote "215/70R15 CP not sure what the p stands for?"

The P in CP indicates that you have CamperVan tyres that have strengthened sidewalls to withstand the strains of long stationary periods.

According to the Fiat inflation diagram, the pressure of 79.5 psi refers to maximum loading. However, according to your VIN plate, the MAM of your van is 3,000 kg and the max loading for the rear axle is 1,650 kg.

So, from the tyre facts table, the appropriate pressure for the rear tyres would be around 60-62 psi when fully loaded. (It is the fifth one down in the final table on the last page of the guide.)

Hope this is useful, but I'm sure you will get a professional view from Michelin.

Philip

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Sinbad1 Quote "215/70R15 CP not sure what the p stands for?"

The P in CP indicates that you have CamperVan tyres that have strengthened sidewalls to withstand the strains of long stationary periods.

According to the Fiat inflation diagram, the pressure of 79.5 psi refers to maximum loading. However, according to your VIN plate, the MAM of your van is 3,000 kg and the max loading for the rear axle is 1,650 kg.

So, from the tyre facts table, the appropriate pressure for the rear tyres would be around 60-62 psi when fully loaded. (It is the fifth one down in the final table on the last page of the guide.)

Hope this is useful, but I'm sure you will get a professional view from Michelin.

Philip

Thanks another look at the guide does indicate 60/62 ;however, quick response from Michelin re: tyre pressures kinda puts things more in perspective and hopefully helps other members.

Dear Mr xxxxx

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

We suggest that individual axle weights from weigh scale readings are used, in order to calculate pressure recommendations for each quoted load condition. These would be preferred, due to readings being taken in the actual vehicle 'running' condition - that is to say, with all water/fuel/baggage & passengers etc. onboard - and may result in better comfort if the vehicle is running way below maximum capacity.

The results of roadside surveys indicate that some motor homes have been found to be over laden, especially the rear axle, with potential for subsequent tyre related problems.

The overall tyre industry, therefore, tries to build-in a safety factor by fitting strong tyres, inflated to high pressure, in order to remove the potential for consequences of overloading &/or under-inflating the tyres.

The drawback of this safety factor, at the corresponding high pressure, may be an extremely hard ride. The contents of the motor home may rattle, but the tyres will cope nicely.

One 'overall' weight is of no use in calculating tyre inflation pressure levels, since the vehicle may appear to be within the maximum permitted, but in reality may have the rear axle severely over laden & the front axle very lightly laden.

As a guideline from the axle weights that you have supplied on tyre size 215/70 R15 C (if the XC Camping tyre) the pressures for those weights should be as follows:-

Front axle load of 1600kg the pressure should be – 55 psi (pounds per square inch)
Rear axle load of 1650kg the pressure should be – 50 psi (pounds per square inch)

The Front axle pressure in this case may be higher than the Rear even though the axle load is lower. Therefore the slight increase in pressure which has been added to the front axle is due to the braking forces and shift in weight that’s being exerted onto it.

We have allocated your message the reference number indicated above. If you need to contact us again regarding your message, we would be grateful if you could include the reference number.

Once again thank you for your interest in Michelin.

Yours sincerely
Michelin Tyre Public Limited Company

Regards

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back