Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
Have pumped the pressure as per sticker on the inside of the door in the 70s psi...this seems rather high... what do other think? We have an Adria Coral Supreme 680st on a Fiat Ducato 2.3 diesel and running on new Michelin Camper Van tyres. We're off to the Continent next Saturday!!!

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
The correct way to check tyre pressures against your weight is to take your van to a weighbridge then ring the tyre manufacturers with the weight and they will then give you the pressure you need to run at.
I have to admit never having done it myself, after taking advice from the forum I always run at 65psi on all four.
I am certain others will be along to help you and maybe even an owner of the same van will contact you.
Norman.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The only way to get correct pressures is to contact the tyre manufacturers.

You need to give them the details of the tyres and the axle weights of your MH. Ideally use accurate weights from a weighbridge but if you can't get those then the plated maximums will do.

The contact details for Michelin are: michelin-contact@uk.michelin.com

They typically reply within a couple of days.

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
My Rapido says 5.5 Bar (77 Psi) which made it a very hard ride, so reduced to 65 Psi in the front which was what it was at when I purchased it, this made the ride much nicer.

The back should also be 5.5 Bar but as the weights on the vehicle plate are different back and front it seems a little strange they should be the same pressure.

OP
OP
Pia

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Another thought, the weighbridge may have you re-assessing the amount of gear you intend to take with you :whistle:
We've got it pretty much down to essentials...having been an Eriba caravaner for years with not a lot of space, most 'stuff' has to have a dual purpose:unsure: to warrant a place on our trips:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I weighed mine... contacted tyre folk and they sent this...
Tyre pressures can be anywhere tween 3 & 5.5 bar - dependent on axle weight..

IMG_3451.PNG

Note: for those that are new to the site.. and have these tyres fitted; this sheet is in the Resources section on here... downloadable as a PDF (y)

D

DL42846

Deleted User
According to the Fiat Ducato hand book that came with my motor home which is a 2.3 Multyjet 130. The recommended front tire pressure is 5 bar which works out at 72.5 PSI and 5.5bar in the rear.=80 PSI. I have run my van on both Conti Camper tires and now Michelin camper and they seem to both work fine at those pressures.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We collected our new motorhome and headed off to our base in France. The ride was terrible. Everything rattled and banged, my fillings loosened, and I thought I had made a dreadful mistake.

Weighing the axles and contacting Continental tyres meant I reduced the pressures from 80 psi all round to 55 front and 58 rear. The ride was transformed and we love our motorhome.

On returning to the UK I asked the dealer why the tyre pressures were so high and they said it was to avoid the tyres taking a flat when stored on their forecourt.

When I asked why they had not reduced them at the point of sale they said the pressures were so contingent on the load carried that they could not offer advice. I suggested they might like to advise future buyers to weigh and then decide.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
At one stage I had 80- psi all round which was put in when I had the tires fitted. Just reducing the front to 72 made a big difference to the ride on my van. At 80 PSI on the front I too could feel every stone in the road.
If I was in your situation I would keep an eye on how the tires wear. If they start wearing on the edges quicker your tires might be under inflated. If the middle of the tread wears quicker the tires are over inflated. If I remember correctly under inflated tires can go bang in hot climates and when on motorways.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We collected our new motorhome and headed off to our base in France. The ride was terrible. Everything rattled and banged, my fillings loosened, and I thought I had made a dreadful mistake.

Weighing the axles and contacting Continental tyres meant I reduced the pressures from 80 psi all round to 55 front and 58 rear. The ride was transformed and we love our motorhome.

On returning to the UK I asked the dealer why the tyre pressures were so high and they said it was to avoid the tyres taking a flat when stored on their forecourt.

When I asked why they had not reduced them at the point of sale they said the pressures were so contingent on the load carried that they could not offer advice. I suggested they might like to advise future buyers to weigh and then decide.
Agree entirely and that is what I have done. BUT it seems to be only Continental that offer this service, i.e. based upon actual weight of each axle, and are willing to put it into writing. That is why I will always use their tyres.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Michelin are very happy to provide the correct pressures for your axle weights as they have done for me.

Ian

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Michelin are very happy to provide the correct pressures for your axle weights as they have done for me.

Ian
But, they will always quote 80psi for the rears, despite the weight you give them.
For most vans that is far too high and will shake your fillings out.
For our Carthago, 4,500kg max although we run at well under that (weights verified by weigh bridge), I use the Carthago recommended pressures of 45psi on the front and 70psi on the rear. Very smooth ride and the tyre wear seems good so far after 22k miles.

Richard.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
When I fitted the new tyres (front) last year the pressures where set to 80psi all round. However a pencilled not in the Owners handbook was 65psi. I have reduced the pressure in stages, monitored by the "Tyre Pal" unit and the temperatures are consistent once "warmed up".

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
According to the Fiat Ducato hand book that came with my motor home which is a 2.3 Multyjet 130. The recommended front tire pressure is 5 bar which works out at 72.5 PSI and 5.5bar in the rear.=80 PSI. I have run my van on both Conti Camper tires and now Michelin camper and they seem to both work fine at those pressures.
You're reading the van handbook. Not the motorhome conversion handbook. @NickNic and @Fletton have described the correct method to get the correct pressures on each axle. Michelin and Continental provide the service for free so you might as well take advantage of it. (Or if you have Conti's check the resources for the sheet above)

D

DL42846

Deleted User
You're reading the van handbook. Not the motorhome conversion handbook. @NickNic and @Fletton have described the correct method to get the correct pressures on each axle. Michelin and Continental provide the service for free so you might as well take advantage of it. (Or if you have Conti's check the resources for the sheet above)
In the handbook that l have it shows the tire pressure for Van use and tire pressure for motorhome use.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
In the handbook that l have it shows the tire pressure for Van use and tire pressure for motorhome use.
Ahh sorry .. in either case the method described above is the correct way.. as it's what the tyre manufacturers recommend

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Ahh sorry .. in either case the method described above is the correct way.. as it's what the tyre manufacturers recommend[/QUOTE I will
Take the van down to the local weight bridge just to make sure and for piece of mind. Trouble is it's a full drive on bridge. I will see if I can just weight the front and rear separately.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
We have Avons contacted manufacturer and we now run on 60 front and 64 back (fully loaded) all good so far

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
I telephoned Michelin & they said that they always give 80 psi for the rears regardless of any axle weight information. If you want to find your own pressures use;

Axle weight in Kg x Max tyre pressure in psi)/(Max tyre load Kg x number of tyres on axle) = Running tyre pressure in psi

So for latest Comanche with max axle loads fitted with the 118R Michelin Aguilas Camping tyre

2100kg front
1600kg rear

2100x(80/(1320x2))=64psi
1600x(80/(1320x2))=50psi

If you take your van to the weigh-bridge just put your own pressures into the calc.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Different makes of tyres have different optimum pressures so if there are pressures in the handbook they can only be for one specific tyre. This doesn't matter much at low pressures like you would have in a car but if becomes more important at the pressures we run at.

OP
OP
Pia

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
I weighed mine... contacted tyre folk and they sent this...
Tyre pressures can be anywhere tween 3 & 5.5 bar - dependent on axle weight..
thanks for taking the time to post this..we've sent an e-mail to Michelin and await their response.:D

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The quoted pressure from Continental look soft but higher makes it all rattle and bang. does the given pressure affect the MPG?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The quoted pressure from Continental look soft but higher makes it all rattle and bang. does the given pressure affect the MPG?
The front tyres on our Citroen car always look soft when at the recommended pressure. I simply assume that Citroen know what is appropriate. The car runs and steers well. There is no sign of uneven tyre wear etc.

I therefore apply the same logic to Continental tyres recommendations.

So far, so good.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back