Tyre pressure advice please

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Pat and Trish, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Pat and Trish

Pat and Trish Funster

Just had four new tyres fitted to the Autotrail by a well known "national" outlet. They recommended Continental Vanco 2 109/107R
    As the fitter was finishing up the conversation went like this;
    Me) What pressure have you put in?
    Fitter) 56 psi
    Me) My book recommends 5 bar which I thought was about 70-75psi.
    F) These tyres only take 65psi but I can put 70 in if you like :Eeek:
    where does it say 5 bar?
    Paperwork retrieved from van and shown
    I then go to speak to "The Boss" and explain my confusion, he goes away to check online, on his return states that they are the right tyres and it's okay to put 70psi. I say - your fitter (who's stood alongside) said the max was 65psi.
    Boss to fitter - I've told you before they are the American and Canadian pressures not UK

In summary I am confused and would like some reassurance that these are the correct tyres and pressure for our van The reason for changing the old ones was not to compromise on safety as although the tread was good and they were legal, they were 2007 tyres and the side walls were cracking.
    Any clarification greatfully appreciated

2. chaser

chaser Funster

Good question, I am sure you'll get plenty conflicting answers, don't think anyone knows the full story, my van says 79 psi but I only put 65 in as advised by a " tyre expert" as it says max 80 on the tyre 79. Seems close to the limit to me:Eeek:

3. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

No one knows for sure; don't make the assumption the tyre manufacturers know either. I contacted Michelin and they told me 80 psi which is the maximum tyre pressure the mh road as hard as a rock so as previously said reduced mine to 65 psi and the mh rides much smoother now.

The answer to your question will be the average of the information you receive in answer to your thread plus your own feelings.

Norman

4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

It depends on the tyre. On my van if I have Michelins on they are 80psi on the rear. My present Avons run at 65psi rear.

You need to get your axles weighed. Simple enough at your local weighbridge; then ring the tyre manufacturer, give them your axle weights and tyre details and they will tell you the precise running pressure:thumb:

5. Detnor

Detnor Funster

Having gone through the same problem, I followed Jim's advice just this week.

I loaded up the van, filled the fuel and water tanks, and went to the local trading standards weighbridge. No charge if I simply wanted to make note of the figures, fortunately we came in 120 kilos under the 3500 limit. They seemed pleased I was at least getting the weights checked.

I emailed the weights to Michelin (my tyre brand) along with the tyre information and within 5 minutes I had a reply (53psi in the front and 80 psi on the rears). Apparently this 80psi figure has become standard with them.

At least I feel that I may be using the correct tyre pressure now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pat and Trish

Pat and Trish Funster

Thanks for all the advice I will certainly visit the local weighbridge as a starting point and follow Jim's approach, be interesting to see the outcome.

7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

So you have an accident and the tyre is measured at 56, your manual probably says 76.

So what happens ?

I don't know.

Mine are inflated as it indicates on the driver's door and Burstner handbook, 5 bar all round.

It's good that you have that email "in writing", print it and store it carefully.

8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Most motorhomes have two figures, one from the vehicle maker and another from the converter, rarely are they the same, both are normally wrong. :Doh:

9. chaser

chaser Funster

That is a strange one, never heard that before 53 is the lowest I've heard of especially with 80 on the back you must have a vast weight difference front to back

10. chaser

chaser Funster

At least I feel that I may be using the correct tyre pressure now.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't count on it:Sad:

11. buttons

buttons Funster

As a rule of thumb, if your fillings keep popping out and the wear pattern is centre tyre then they are too hard. If your fillings stay put but tyre ware is on the outer sides of the tyre then they are too soft. Works for me. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Detnor

Detnor Funster

Yes, I have an email from michelin, with a name and a reference number.
    The rear is the same as in the Hymer handbook, the front is 5psi lower than in the handbook.

13. mentaliss

mentaliss

forget all the nonsense, go to your local free council managed weight Bridge, weigh the axles (fully loaded preferably) Note down the front and rear axle weights ring up the Tyre manufacture of your MH Tyres speak to their technical department ...they will give you the correct pressures not someones guess:thumb:

14. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

15. mentaliss

mentaliss

YEP:RollEyes: got those too:thumb:

16. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

That doesn't sound too bad. Our front and rear are the same.

Do they pull these numbers out of a hat ?

As a matter of interest, what were your axle weights ?

17. Pat and Trish

Pat and Trish Funster

Every time this happens my dentist pulls a face then suggests removing the tooth, root canal filling and cap, quote is usually around £880 :Eeek:

Apologies for the levity I do appreciate all the advice and hope Jim brings the tyre pressure thingies to The Malvern Show :thumb:

18. Phill D

Phill D

i have conti vanco on my motorhome and it does say max pressure on the side walls of 65psi. i weighed the van loaded and got the axle weights. i emailed conti's customer services with tyre sizes nad loads together with my axle weights.

they confirmed the side wall marked pressure was for the american market and gave me pressures of front 70 psi rear 80psi fully loaded.

with an unloaded van weights they gave me, 54 psi front, 62 psi rear.

handbook says 5.5 bar ( 80 ) front and 5.5 bar (80) rear at all times. :Eeek:

so at least ignore the tyre wall marked pressures.

19. Pat and Trish

Pat and Trish Funster

Thanks for the confirmation Phil, I will email them as well when I have the weights

20. Pat and Trish

Pat and Trish Funster

With such big differences being quoted between fully loaded and unloaded do people seriously adjust their tyre pressures each time they unpack from a trip. Thinking about it I suppose it depends if you use the van much unladen. :Doh: