Tyre Pressure advice Kon Tiki 640/6 (1 Viewer)

Rusty Pumper

Free Member
Mar 10, 2017
Funster No
Howdy Funsters,

I have a 2002 Kontiki, 640L/6 3.85t, 3859kg Gross, 1850kg front, 2120kg rear on 215/75R/16CP Tyres.

I've been looking through the forums. The wonderful @pappajohn several years ago advised inflating tyres to 65 rear and 59 front for 'cool and comfortable' handling.

The tyres are rated (on the drivers door panel), to 80 psi and that's what I and the previous owner have been inflating the tyres to. Is that harmful or incorrect?

Being a newbie to motorhomes, I wondered what the general consensus was? I'm not questioning @pappajohns wisdom at all, I just wondered what the best advice amongst you seasoned motorhomers is, please?

Also how do I private message someone. I'm still getting to know the website. Doh!!! (Thanks)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for correcting me (y)

I just replied to a thread stating the wrong pressures :doh:

The stated 80psi is the safe maximum pressure for the tyre and wont be suitable for every van.
My 7500kg RV ran at only 80psi all round, with 65psi in the rear air suspension.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
As @pappajohn said the panel gives the maximum pressures. You need to get the van weighed when it is all packed for a trip - whole van and one axle which will give you the front and rear axle weight (process of subtraction!) Then you need to contact the tyre manufacturer to get the correct tyre pressures. It does vary a bit between the manufacturers.

In the resources section there is a chart provided by Continental.

Get the tyre pressures correct and you get a much better ride. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rusty Pumper

Rusty Pumper

Free Member
Mar 10, 2017
Funster No
Howdy,

Thanks for the clarification above. I'm going to a local weighbridge in the morning. I must say, the forum is a fantastic resource, so glad to have joined it, and greatly appreciating the good advice and prompt replies. Thanks to one and all.

Funky.

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
At least i gave you one good piece of advice Peter , as in join Fun (y)

It is a great forum you are right .

Another thing i would suggest is to check the age of your tyres. On motor homes its not good practice to run on old tyres.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you divide axle loading from weighbridge by maximum allowed from tyre load rating and then multiply this by the maximum tyre pressure you will get a very close approximation.

Martin

Upvote 0

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
If you divide axle loading from weighbridge by maximum allowed from tyre load rating and then multiply this by the maximum tyre pressure you will get a very close approximation.

Martin

Following all the previous posts on other threads this is what I have done.

Personally found the rears too soft so added 10% to the final calculation and feel much happier with the ride given. Just for info, my final pressure in the rears are currently 10psi less than the manufacturer prescribes. The fronts using the calculations mentioned by @funflair I find perfect and I'm not finding myself cringing after every pothole! I will continue to monitor them via tyrepal during journeys as well as visual inspection for wear.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back