Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
Hi Guys,
Can any one tell me what tyre preasure I should use on my Auto-Trail Cheiftain tag axle alko its upgraded to 5,000 from the old 4,500 reg year 2005:Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
best bet is have it weighed in 'holiday' trim....front and rear axle weights....then email your tyre manufacturer with the weights stating its a rear tag/twin axle.
they should give you the exact pressures for all three axles. :thumb:

there is a chart in downloads but it doesnt account for tags...only twin wheels.

that shouldnt make a lot of difference though.:Doh:

Glynn

Free Member
May 2, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have an Autotrail tag axle & the local tyre place advised 70psi all round.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Depends upon axle weights and possible speed.

You should ask the tyre manufacturers. I wish you better luck then I have had. I have Hankook tyres which were original equipment on my VW. Hankook have never replied to my many emails.

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
my tyres have max 69psi on sidewall so i have 65psi in rear and 60psi in fronts but our autotrail is only a twin.....

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Good book says 5.5bar = 80psi :)

Lots if people have the idea to run them under PSI for whatever reason and advise accordingly, however you need to put in what you want.

I personally run my Auto-Trail at the psi the book states = 80 (5.5bar).

You have to remember that there's a lot of weight involved for these tyres, especially on the tyre walls. My belief is that if you run them under the manufacturers recommended pressure, then there's a real risk that the tyre walls will flex too much, especially cornering, and generate excessive heat etc :)

Take advice and then blow them up to what you want them to be :)

From http://www.auto-trail.co.uk/faqs - Frequently asked questions.

Please can you tell me what the tyre pressures are for my vehicle?
The tyre pressures for the Fiat chassis are listed on the left hand side door pillar just below the door latch. For Alko twin axle vehicles, please refer to your Alko handbook.

Hope it all helps :)

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Good book says 5.5bar = 80psi :)

Lots if people have the idea to run them under PSI for whatever reason and advise accordingly, however you need to put in what you want.

I personally run my Auto-Trail at the psi the book states = 80 (5.5bar).

You have to remember that there's a lot of weight involved for these tyres, especially on the tyre walls. My belief is that if you run them under the manufacturers recommended pressure, then there's a real risk that the tyre walls will flex too much, especially cornering, and generate excessive heat etc :)

Take advice and then blow them up to what you want them to be :)

From http://www.auto-trail.co.uk/faqs - Frequently asked questions.

Please can you tell me what the tyre pressures are for my vehicle?
The tyre pressures for the Fiat chassis are listed on the left hand side door pillar just below the door latch. For Alko twin axle vehicles, please refer to your Alko handbook.

Hope it all helps :)

my door pillar tells me for my tyres front and back,,,215/70/15 tyres same as what is on it,,,, 72psi front 79psi rear.....side wall on tyres say 69psi max......so what would you do ? i was a tyre fitter for goodyear tyres for quite a few years,,and i definitely would not put more pressure in a tyre than is stated max,,,as once a tyre gets hot when traveling it will go up quite a few psi ,,,so seems my label on the door pillar could be wrong....

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
my door pillar tells me for my tyres front and back,,,215/70/15 tyres same as what is on it,,,, 72psi front 79psi rear.....side wall on tyres say 69psi max......so what would you do ? i was a tyre fitter for goodyear tyres for quite a few years,,and i definitely would not put more pressure in a tyre than is stated max,,,as once a tyre gets hot when traveling it will go up quite a few psi ,,,so seems my label on the door pillar could be wrong....
i have been told the maximum pressure noted on the tyre is only relative to the usa market. as stated already, weigh the van fully loaded and contact the tyre manufacturer for recommended pressures. otherwise, use the table in the downloads area with the weights to calculate a generic pressure

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
i have been told the maximum pressure noted on the tyre is only relative to the usa market. as stated already, weigh the van fully loaded and contact the tyre manufacturer for recommended pressures. otherwise, use the table in the downloads area with the weights to calculate a generic pressure
where is downloads area table found ? please dont say in download area....

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
my tyres have max 69psi on sidewall so i have 65psi in rear and 60psi in fronts but our autotrail is only a twin.....

Sidewall figures really have little to do with what pressure you should be using, they are simply maximum pressures for those tyres and may be a lot higher than you should be using. That said, they may not be but you shouldn't rely om them being right for your van load/configuration.

Tim

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Continental's support team say
Front: 3.75 bar - 54 psi
Rear: 4.5 bar - 65 psi

so just have front a bit high.....i have them at 60psi....

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

I think you need to check that you have the right tyres fitted or at least check with the tyre manufacturer. Knowing insurance companies propensity for weaselling out of paying out if everything isn't "just so", i would imagine that they could use that as an excuse if anything happened that could in anyway be connected with the tyres.

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
I think you need to check that you have the right tyres fitted or at least check with the tyre manufacturer. Knowing insurance companies propensity for weaselling out of paying out if everything isn't "just so", i would imagine that they could use that as an excuse if anything happened that could in anyway be connected with the tyres.
Tyre Markings: 215/70 R 15 CP 109R checked and double checked,,,,they are the tyres,,,does also state on sidewall that if used on a motorhome max psi could go up by .5bar but on mt weights the info given is right,,,,,,,
Continental's support team say
Front: 3.75 bar - 54 psi
Rear: 4.5 bar - 65 psi

so just have front a bit high.....i have them at 60psi....

Sulli_Clan

Free Member
Aug 24, 2011
Ghost Town
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Granduco 2.5T
Exp
We run 80 psi all round, according to my research under inflated is more dangerous than over inflated. Also, ours weighs just under 3500kg, and we have weight rated tyres of 113/115, which is enough for the relative corner weights. Make sure your tyres are rated high enough on weight.
Most proper camper tyres are 8/9 ply and will go up to 6 bar, which is over 80 psi, safely.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I believe in the practice of weighing the two axles whilst in "holiday trim" and then getting the recommended tyre pressure from the manufacturer's of the tyres. They must know far more about their tyres than the base vehicle manufacturers or the tyre fitters in tyre shops.

The problem I see is how do you stand legally if the pressures do not conform with the base vehicle manufacturer's specified values.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
if thats the case then id change the tyres to ones with a higher maximum pressure so i could run them at the advised pressure

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
if thats the case then id change the tyres to ones with a higher maximum pressure so i could run them at the advised pressure
it does say on the side of the tyres they can go uo to 5.5bar but i got i touch with tyre company and they gave me the preasures to run on ,,,,,been to france and back and all ok.....

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I suppose time will be a good indicator as to how they wear and if there's signs of scuffing on the side walls

Mine suggests 64psi alround on the sticker and im sure the sidewalls have a 70psi max ....seem to be okay

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
I replaced tyres on my Benimar Europa (3500k) to Hancook three years ago and have run them at 5.4/5.5 since with no problem or much sign of wear. This all done on Spanish,French and Italian roads plus the heat.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I run mine at the pressures stated just inside the door which is 55psi front 65psi rear. The front tyres were 60psi when I got the MH but that made the ride very hard. Tyres are 235/65 R16C which unfortunately don't appear in the otherwise very good tyre pressure guide in downloads. I do feel the rears would benefit from a higher pressure though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back