Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Given that most motorhomes do less than 5000m a year, the tyres can have plenty of tread even if they are 5 years old or more. Also they may have done plenty of standing. How old is too old when it comes to tyres on heavy motorhomes?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Good question Jim, one I have asked several commercial tyre dealers..

Tyres on heavy RVs are the same as fitted to coaches and heavy goods vehicles, the answer I received was that provided there was no signs of side wall cracking there was no need to replace and tyres of this type have three lives.

1. New.
2. Re cut
3. Re tread..

The carcass may do hundreds of thousands of miles before final scrapping.

However, I still worry that my rear four are original and ten years old but with absolutely no signs of cracking.. but at £300 each :whatthe:.. :Confused: do I change for peace of mind ?

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The hardshoulder seems full of those re treads. I must admit, that I keep my tyres covered when we are away in warmer climes, I don't bother in Wales they seem to always be in shade:RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Jims::bigsmile:

following my mot test and full tyre inspection I am in the market for 4 min poss all 6
there appears to be only one regular supplyers of RV tyres and a few month ago i was able to negosiate a trade price on these they worked out at around £215-£220ish delivered to my premmises I would be happy to supply at cost to anyone who wanted them, collection/delivery could be at a meet, fitting would be your responsability, due to the costs involed I dont want any changes of mind once an order has been placed,
Geo
ps mine are 6 years old and show cracks to sidewalls
if anyone out there has a better price /supplyer let me know

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Geo

Thanks mate, mine are 22.5 " rims and a regular coach size so I can shop around.

I picked up a part worn spare for £45 from G & S Tyres in London. They supply part worn imports from Japan, not re cut or retreads .. don't know why the Japs do this, perhaps they have very strict rules re tyre age/millage and or tread depth before scrapping.. ??

However, I would rather buy new for fitting on the road wheels, I'll get the correct size and let you know..

Cheers

Jim

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Mmmmmmmmmm I've got the odd ball 19.5 rocking horse do dah:Sad: