Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
We decided a few weeks back to replace the carpet in the MH as it was looking a bit shabby. Having never spilled anything on the old carpet in five years, we managed to deposit a carton of cream on the new carpet on the first outing! The 'van now smells like a dairy, and Jill is threatening another new carpet if we can't get rid of the smell.
I've looked online and we're currently trying the vinegar remedy, but I'm not hopeful. Anyone got any advice?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We decided a few weeks back to replace the carpet in the MH as it was looking a bit shabby. Having never spilled anything on the old carpet in five years, we managed to deposit a carton of cream on the new carpet on the first outing! The 'van now smells like a dairy, and Jill is threatening another new carpet if we can't get rid of the smell.
I've looked online and we're currently trying the vinegar remedy, but I'm not hopeful. Anyone got any advice?
Washing up liquid & water then a wet'n'dry vacuum cleaner. Repeat.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Remove carpet from motorhome, put down somewhere flat outside (concrete or gravel or decking) and use stardrops then a pressure washer. Leave flat until completely dry :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You won't get rid of it without using a proper carpet washer I'm afraid, or doing what Puddleduck has said and washing it outside, putting blobs of vinegar etc on it won't get rid of the cream that will have soaked right through, it's just covering it up so the smell will come back and possibly mould etc.

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Thanks to all. I'm reluctant to try anything too drastic just yet - the cream didn't penetrate the carpet, we were on it pretty quick with wet cloths so I'm hoping it's just surface contamination - we'll try some of the more serious suggestions and if all else fails remove and pressure wash.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
dr batemans carpet cleaner works wonders, even with biological based stains

Join us or log in to post a reply.