Type 2 Diabetes and The 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet

Discussion in 'Funsters on a diet' started by John Laidler, Jul 31, 2016.

1. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I don't have Type 2 diabetes but I am concerned my weight is a tad too much and in particular what fat I have is around my middle, which probably means I have too much visceral fat, that is fat around and in my liver etc.

Michael Mosely, he of the 5:2 diet fame, has written another book about a fairly extreme diet which on the evidence he presents can be very successful in reversing Type 2 diabetes in many diagnosed with the disease. It doesn't always work, those who have been recently diagnosed have the best chance (over 80%) while those who have had the disease for many years have a lower success rate, 50% or so.

I'm now girding my loins to give this diet a go, just need to finish the wine box I brought back from France first!

Anyone who has Type 2 should have a read of the book, which is a few pounds on Kindle, including those who don't think they are overweight as it does cover cases where people were described by friends as "thin" and therefore didn't need to diet but who still had the hidden visceral fat which seems to be the problem.

Of course this won't work for everyone and the trials to date have been limited, a much larger trial is underway, but why wait for that to finish? The diet won't do you any harm though you are advised to consult your doctor as those on blood pressure tablets may suffer from low blood pressure as the weight comes off. I have a blood pressure monitor so will monitor my own blood pressure.

This is the link to his website: https://thebloodsugardiet.com

You will find a link to the book under the Resources tab of the site.

As always, don't take medical advice from a forum, read the book and then make up your own mind. :)

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Debs

Debs Funster

Thanks for this DBK....I'll have a read, @Carol mentioned this over the weekend at the meet.

Not sure if tagging works on non group members but @Ashley F .....I understand the approach you took was very similar?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

You could also go on the liver shrinking diet (google it) I lost 1.5 stone in 6 weeks prior to last surgery,(Non-Bariatric ) by choice and under supervision from Dr.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

Interesting read. Thanks. Will study it more later as off to celebrate my grandsons 18th birthday. He celebrated it when we were away, so we are treating him to a meal at Reds. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Interesting you should mention bariatric surgery because this was what gave the first clue to reduced calories improving blood sugars. It was found in patients who had undergone this type of operation that in some cases there was a spectacular reversal in their type 2 diabetes within a very short time.

6. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

The first week was the hardest ,but then it came routine it worked for me ,cholesterol, sugar level,bp,all came good
    800cals but loads of water and multi vitimins
    As I said under supervision.
    I went to one or two "way forwards" sessions with people who were going to or had bariatric surgery of some kind ,very instructive.but you do grow wings .....:) if you have it .

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

Great diet, started on the 12th Feb. Its the only diet I have every managed to keep to.
    Both myself and Linda went on the diet together.
    WARNING!!!! BE READY TO ADJUST YOUR MEDICATION.
    At the start of the diet I was on 240mg of Gliclazide very quickly I had to cut it to 40mg, as I had some very low blood sugar readings, and I now take no Gliclazide at all.
    On the 9th Feb my hba1c was 62 on the 23rd May it was 45 and the nurse said if I can keep it below 48 for 12 months she will mark me as being "in remission".
    My weight has gone from 102kg to 83kg but the doc says I need to get to 72.5kg to be in the normal range!

We have relaxed the diet a bit but still keep to principles of NO CARBS. That is NO beard, cakes, biscuits, potatoes, parsnips, rice, pasta or sugar.
    There are complete sections of the supermarket we no longer visit.
    Today just had breakfast of 125g of plain yogurt a spoonful of stewed fruit (sweetener not sugar) and a dozen blueberries. Lunch will be salad with two slices of ham, our evening meal will be 8oz steak with vegetables, courgettes, carrots and runner beans from our garden with bought in broccoli. It is after the bigger evening meal I find most difficult, but with two of us on the diet we help each other to stay in line.

I have upped my exercise a bit, which is easier having lost weight, and I recently started as a volunteer navee one day a week on the Cotwolds canals. Here http://cotswoldcanals.com/weymoor-bridge-a-bridging-the-gap/

Good luck with the diet I recommend it everyone who comments on my loss of weight.

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. trophychap

trophychap Funster

Jenny said Yep!! @DBK . Diet was formulated by Prof Taylor's dept at Newcastle Uni Hospital and the original group were all in the 'next thing will be bariatric surgery' group so they had nothing to lose really.

Since then a very large number of 'ordinary' T2s have tried it using a DIY version, and it sometimes does send them into remission and sometimes not. However - they all 'gain' by losing weight and visceral fat and the latter is dangerous for a lot more reasons than just T2.

Anyone 'pre-diabetic' or even diagnosed might not have to go quite that far though. Anyone and everyone gains healthwise and usually weight wise - by cutting down on carbs. Simples as the meerkats said.

PS - your cholesterol level also improves and should enable people to ditch (the awful) statins or avoid them.

Just low carbing, you still must eat brekkie though - and a lot of people find they do far better with a protein brekkie.

Also don't get hooked on the LCHF mantra. Low Carb yes, but High Fat - No. Just normal amounts of fat!!

Finally - it's no good going back to eating what you did before when the 8 weeks has finished cos you will NOT just go bak where you started - you will be fatter and it will be much harder to shift. You need to change your eating habits for life - but 'treats' occasionally will not be banned in this phase!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

That's very impressive, well done!

10. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Yes, it will be eggs for breakfast from now on. A single egg is about 150 calories and one keeps me going until lunch.

11. Sas r us

Sas r us Funster

And with all those mountainous walks you do....! :whistle:

:)(y)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Exercise makes me hungry! But there is a description in the book how exercise helps blood sugars - too complicated to repeat here but exercise is certainly beneficial.

13. Sas r us

Sas r us Funster

Well I think you have enough exercise on hols, and yes that's a time for treats as well so looks like one of them has to take a cut......(y)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Dazzlin

Dazzlin Funster Life Member

I have been doing the low carb high fat diet a couple of years now and it works for me!
    Type 2 (but only in my 40's and 11 stone so not the normal type) with insulin dependant brothers, mother and grandparents.
    By cutting carbs as low as I can, I have dropped the insulin booster sitagliptin and halved gliclazide and metformin intake.
    Substituting cauli for mash or rice (well cooked or firm respectively) and courgette strips for pasta it's easy once you get used to avoiding carbs and root veg.
    It doesn't need to be high fat but full fat sauces with cheese and butter, cream or avocado etc, and in sensible portions, does fill you just as the carbs would.
    Not needing to lose weight I can snack on celery with pate or cheese, small portion of fruit with double cream, chorizo or pork scratchings, which are all filling. Also red wine and spirits are low carb if you are not watching the cals - suits me!

May not work for all but the low carb diet is now getting a lot more publicity. Diabetes uk is currently promoting it heavily.

As mentioned about statins - if all the fat intake is non processed ie butter, cheese, olive oil etc it is good for cholestrol.

I have just had my diabetic review and the nurse was very happy with my score of 46.

Good luck.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

Looking for more info on this, please. After the 8-week Blood Sugar Diet what do you do? Book doesn't make this clear. Obviously, you don't go back to your previous lifestyle or you'd be back to square one. Do you go on to the 5:2 diet? We eat fairly healthily but I've been Type 2 diabetic for 20 years and would love to be able to eventually stop taking insulin.

16. rich g

rich g Funster

I weigh my self every 2 days and if i have gained 2 or 3lbs then i have a fast day of 5-600 cals.
    At one time i was a stone over weight and went on the 5-2 diet its the only diet thats suits me as i know i can eat normal the next day,rather than think oh no same tomorrow.
    Another reason i when on the diet was my cholesterol was a little higher than it should have been,so i went on the diet and did a fair bit of exercise cycling interval training and tested for cholesterol 6mnths later and it had reduced so i felt fitter and healthier

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Please consult your Dr if you have an underlying health condition before you start a diet.

Extreme / fast weight loss is not good for everyone and may do a great deal of harm.

This is really important if you have endocrine issues (including diabetes but especially if you have a thyroid or adrenal problem). Please check with your medical team first.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1