Two more overnighting facilities withdrawn. (1 Viewer)

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I have read here http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/uk-motorhome-stopovers-news.shtml that the overnighting facilities at Swanage & Upton on Severn have been withdrawn.

Swanage bans overnight stays
The inconsiderate action of a few motorhome users has resulted in Swanage Council banning all motorhomes from staying overnight. The following email from the council explains:
We did allow campervans in Main Beach car park for an overnight stay. This allowed people the option of staying an extra night, for example, on a Saturday night if they had to vacate the campsite on Saturday morning etc. Unfortunately as very often happens, a minority of people were abusing this facility and using the car park as a campsite. We received complaints that people were using the public conveniences to empty their chemical toilets. The toilets (which very often, had just been cleaned) had to be redone due to spillages. Complaints were also made that the stream had been used for the same purpose and very often trees etc were used to hang washing on! At the Transport Committee Meeting held on 30th November 2010 the following recommendation was taken: It was RECOMMENDED TO: Withdraw the opportunity for overnight parking of campervans in Main Beach and North Beach car parks as a result of mis-use of the Council's facilities. Therefore, there are no car parks available for this purpose. There are a couple of lay-by's in Swanage that motorhomes do use, very often for a night before they can get into a campsite. These are found at the north end of Swanage in the vicinity of Ulwell Cottage Caravan Park and Northbrook Road.

Motorhomes banned from overnight stays at Upton on Severn
Malvern Hills District Council have informed us that, due to 'exessive use' of the Hanley Road car park by motorhomes, overnight stays will no longer be 'tolerated' there. To qoute their spokesman:
"Last summer for several days before the Western Motorhome show opened at the 3 Counties Showground we had 23 Motorhomes taking up nearly all of the rear end of the car park. Of the 23 vehicles, 19 were displaying Blue badges and did not buying a parking ticket.
This was not an isolated incident, when Upton hold their music festivals we have had Motorhomes parked up for a week displaying their Blue Badge, therefore we shall now be enforcing the Parking Orders."

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Having never use a French Aires is there a similar problem over there if so how do they sort it out or are they so out of the way that people really just use it for a nights sleep ??? Are the policed regularly is there a limit to the number of hours /days allowed in one aires, are there better facilities provided on French Aires OR is it that some UK motorhomers just could not care less when they are on home turf but take more care when abroad - it does annoy me when the few spoil something for the majority

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Can't say I am surprised as always the few kill it for the rest, give them a place to overnight and it gets turned into a camp site, for weeks on end.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
in France there are so many aires that people rarely stay more than one day, mostly they move on to the next one. As to parking with a blue badge, off street parking is not exempt charges so don't see the idea of putting it in the window. Whilst I can see the problem surely the real answer is for UK councils to provide proper dump facilities rather than turn trade away. mind you I have always said that where vans congregate the parking facility will be lost. I prefer to park alone and outside of built up areas.

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
The councils have every right to put rules enforcing there rules on parking. what i dont understand is why dont they put a nominal charge for motorhomes etc overnighting ALL TO PAY / BLUE BADGES NOT EXEMPT from the overnight charge.may i point out to all blue badge holders that i have a blue badge myself , the majority of car parks are all but deserted overnight , some allow overnight parking but ban sleeping in vehicles whats the difference in parking your vehicle and sleeping in it, your not taking up more space by staying in your van As to morhomes abusing the facilities, leaving litter emptying toilets etc. I realise that its in the minority but we all have to do our bit, if you see this sort of thing happening point it out to the perpatrater and say that their actions are affecting all motorhome users.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
pixxes me off. We have used Upton on Severn a few times when going down the South West.

controversial here but,, why is that Blue badge holders think they can take the Michael in this way? to me, if the council report is correct, they are responsible for the withdrawal of this facility along with the others that think its a week long camps site and not an overnight stop over. They are abusing the use of a blue badge, when was a blue badge given to get free parking in this way? My understanding is that hte badges were given for those that need to get parked closer to facilities...:Angry:

I hope some one writes and asks the council to re-consider along with some perhaps more strict rules enforced to prevent the abuse.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Aires in France

in France there are so many aires that people rarely stay more than one day, mostly they move on to the next one. .

The generally accepted rule is 48 hrs but it's not enforced and many ignore it, no one seems to bother, including the Police.
Many stay for a week, month or longer .. I know this because I have also used aires for longer than 48hrs.. although I hasten to add, this was during the low season when many are all but deserted.. so staying longer was not an issue. I have even met people who spend the whole winter on one aire .. and paid by the week to the local police !

French motorhomers are far less concerned and take less notice of rules than the Brits .. as Roger says, there are thousands of aires to chose from so staying longer than 48hrs is seldom an issue.

I was told by a Frenchman that the 48 hr rule was only in place to give the police the power to move the 'undesirable ' on .. Fact or not, it does seem to be the way they operate as I have seen 'less than desirables' moved on.. and they don't mess about with court orders.. or worry about 'human rights' .. who would argue with a 9mm .. That's the French way !

Last edited:

Jaygee32

Free Member
Oct 9, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 1976
couldn't there be a way of purchasing from a local shop or supermarket a parking card for a couple of pounds (dated) that could be used on any local car park say from 9pm until 9am?

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
"Last summer for several days before the Western Motorhome show opened at the 3 Counties Showground we had 23 Motorhomes taking up nearly all of the rear end of the car park. Of the 23 vehicles, 19 were displaying Blue badges and did not buying a parking ticket."

Those Funsters....you can't take them anywhere...

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
l have a blue badge, and l would not dream of misusing it. Non of my family would ever use
it for themselves. l struggled for over four years on crutches and appreciate how valuable diasabled parking is. l would rather leave them for genuine users, even now, as l am more mobile than a lot of others.
l know that Range Rovers automatically have the blue badges, so they don't count.
But, 19 out of 23 MHs! That is pathetic!
lt doesn't surprise me that these stopovers have been ended. Some people have the "l don't care" attitude, and will never change. They behave like animals.

Craig

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
The only Blue Bagde holders who may be exempt from parking charges are those who's vehicle is exempt from road tax

Incidentally I don't know what the overnight parking facilities are in & around Manchester but I do know that parking in any bay with a blue badge showing is unrestricted & not just for 3 hours as in many other towns

AS we plan to visit Manchester for 48 hours in our RV does anyone know of any overnight CP's we could use

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
They are abusing the use of a blue badge, when was a blue badge given to get free parking in this way? My understanding is that hte badges were given for those that need to get parked closer to facilities...:Angry:

I hope some one writes and asks the council to re-consider along with some perhaps more strict rules enforced to prevent the abuse.
Have to agree. Its almost a contradiction in terms. Parking way off anywhere - for free, courtesy of a Blue Badge - which is usually for the use of folk who cant walk very far for whatever reason.
Ill just get my tin hat on, and suggest blue Badges should be for smaller vehicles only ie CARS.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Have to agree. Its almost a contradiction in terms. Parking way off anywhere - for free, courtesy of a Blue Badge - which is usually for the use of folk who cant walk very far for whatever reason.
Ill just get my tin hat on, and suggest blue Badges should be for smaller vehicles only ie CARS.

Why? Does the fact its a MH/RV & not a car mean the disabled person can suddenly walk

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV

That is an unfair comment.
l have a 32 ft RV, and l have a Smart car, l also have one leg. Do l suddenly become mobile when l am in the RV?

Craig

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The reasons why overnighting facilities are sparse, and the reasons why there are no simple ways of making them available, are both legal and historical. All have been explored in previous threads so a search should find the information for anyone interested.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hang on a minute. So if 19 vans were dispalying Blue badges and not paying whos fault is that? Presumably the councils. If they have a sign up saying free for blue badge holders then they only have themselves to blame. The blue badge holders are not doing anything wrong unless the council put up a sign saying badge holders are not exempt.

It sounds to me like they just wanted an excuse to close it. They could have easily changed the rules so that max stay was 48 hours and blue badges had to pay.

Im sick if people making blue badge holders out to be criminals and parking charge dodgers and the suggestion that they should only be for cars beggers belief. A blond moment perhaps?

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
l have a 32 ft RV, and l have a Smart car, l also have one leg. Do l suddenly become mobile when l am in the RV?

Craig
Maybe the badge should be for the car only? I mean, how near can you get the RV to where you want to be? Im guessing you use the Smart for getting about, which is fair enough. But to want to use the badge for a whacking great 'removal wagon' of a vehicle is somewhat taking the pi$$ in my humble view.

Ill just throw in that im well up to speed with the abilities of folk with one leg. My uncle has just died, having had of one his missing for 64 years!

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp

Craig

Yes You own an RV you grow another leg, recover from cancer & heart problems of all kinds....... apparently:ROFLMAO:

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Hang on a minute. So if 19 vans were dispalying Blue badges and not paying whos fault is that? Presumably the councils. If they have a sign up saying free for blue badge holders then they only have themselves to blame. The blue badge holders are not doing anything wrong unless the council put up a sign saying badge holders are not exempt.

It sounds to me like they just wanted an excuse to close it. They could have easily changed the rules so that max stay was 48 hours and blue badges had to pay.

Im sick if people making blue badge holders out to be criminals and parking charge dodgers and the suggestion that they should only be for cars beggers belief. A blond moment perhaps?

Quite:thumb:

Tell you what I'll exchange my Blue Badge for anyones able pain free body:thumb:

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Maybe the badge should be for the car only? I mean, how near can you get the RV to where you want to be? Im guessing you use the Smart for getting about, which is fair enough. But to want to use the badge for a whacking great 'removal wagon' of a vehicle is somewhat taking the pi$$ in my humble view.

Ill just throw in that im well up to speed with the abilities of folk with one leg. My uncle has just died, having had of one his missing for 64 years!

Sorry mate your talking rubbish. I had an uncle who had a brother who had a cousin who knew a person who knew someone name unknown who managed perfectly OK with their disability

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

It seems to me that Malvern Hills Council was unwise to ever mention the subject of blue badges because that simply serves to mask the main point, which is that the order covering the car park in question has a ban on all parking between 4am and 5am. See Hanley Road Link Removed. The council has, for some time, not enforced that ruling on the grounds that the odd one or two motorhomes staying just for a night cause no problems for anybody.

What has happened, though, is that the number of motorhomes using the car park has grown and the length of stay by many has become excessive. In effect, people have been abusing the council's tolerance by using the car park as a camp site.

In those circumstances (and in the similar circumstances in Swanage) it is perfectly understandable that the council should react as it did. The vast majority of people would do the same if they tried to do somebody a favour and their generosity was abused.

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
oop`s looks like ive opened a can of worms about blue badge holders ,the actual thread was about the closure of overnight facilities and parking our motorhomes not about blue badge holders. they are perfectly in their rights to park free unless charges were not waved for them.As to saying that disabled people should only be allowed a badge in a smaller vehicle is nonesense it doesnt matter what you drive or are driven in if your disabled you are entiteld to have whatever vehicle suits you.Its called freedom of choice, most if not all people with a disability would gladly swap there blue badge to be able bodied and pain free.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
oop`s looks like ive opened a can of worms about blue badge holders ,the actual thread was about the closure of overnight facilities and parking our motorhomes not about blue badge holders. they are perfectly in their rights to park free unless charges were not waved for them.As to saying that disabled people should only be allowed a badge in a smaller vehicle is nonesense it doesnt matter what you drive or are driven in if your disabled you are entiteld to have whatever vehicle suits you.Its called freedom of choice,[HI] most if not all people with a disability would gladly swap there blue badge to be able bodied and pain free.[/HI]

Absolutely ..

I can understand preferential parking at supermarkets etc.. and wider marked bays to give easy wheelchair access .. but why

* Free parking,
* Zero VED,
* Free M6 and Dartford crossing tolls.

There are millions of pensioners and unemployed, who are no better off, and many worse. I don't understand the disparity.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV

Yes it is a humble view.

You're guessing l use the Smart for getting around, and by the looks of it, you're guessing l use my blue badge in my RV too! WRONG!

l don't need to park my RV near to anything. l can walk. Because l am disabled doesn't mean l have to park within inches of where l want to be, and slither along on my stomach to continue my journey. But, you would know that because you are up to speed with with the abilities of folk with one leg, aren't you?

l have NEVER EVER, used my blue badge in my RV, l only keep it in the Smartie, and use it in times of need. l would rather walk and leave space for someone who needs it more than me. l really know what it is like to need a disabled space and not find one.

And because my RV is larger than a lousy FIAT, why do you think it's, "Whacking, Great, and a removal van"? l think you missed out the word "dirty" also.

So, as l do not, and will not use my blue badge in my RV, l am not taking the pi$$, in "your" humble opinion.

But, 19 out of 23 MHs with blue badges, l wonder how many were genuine?

Craig

Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
But, 19 out of 23 MHs with blue badges, l wonder how many were genuine?

Craig

I think that's the crux of the matter. My mum had a blue badge after her stroke (paralised down her left hand side and wheelchhair bound) and it really peed me off when we couldn't park in the supermarket car park disabled areas when I took her shopping. Then you'd see peaple displayng blue badges virtually skipping into the store! :swear::swear:

Last edited:

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yes it is a humble view.

And because my RV is larger than a lousy FIAT, why do you think it's, "Whacking, Great, and a removal van"? l think you missed out the word "dirty" also.

Craig
Something to do with it being 32 foot long, maybe?

I cant comment on how often you wash your van, and care even less.

Ill apologise over the other 'assumption'. like i say, i dont mind being 'humble' sometimes.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Sorry if already dusted, not had chance to read through yet but I can never quite work out why disabled parking is free parking. Does disabled always equate to being poor.:Eeek:

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Absolutely ..

I can understand preferential parking at supermarkets etc.. and wider marked bays to give easy wheelchair access .. but why

* Free parking,
* Zero VED,
* Free M6 and Dartford crossing tolls.

There are millions of pensioners and unemployed, who are no better off, and many worse. I don't understand the disparity.

Because it costs us a great deal for the pleasure of being disabled & THAT fact is recognised by most agencies

For many disabled cheap public transport is not a choice they can make, they HAVE to have personal transport just to get out

The costs of having a disability are huge much more than th able bodied realize otherwise they wouldn't come up with such comments

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back