Two Leisure batteries

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bernardfeay, Oct 4, 2014.

1. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

My existing leisure battery will run the TV for about 6 hours and then it all shuts down.

Partially, I think it might be past its best because it has clearly completely discharged; and partially, I think maybe 6 hours is about normal.

The battery is 13 months old and bought in Germany so any warranty issue is going to be more trouble than it's worth.

So, my question - Might it be a good idea to put another leisure battery alongside it and if I do how complicated is it to couple them up. If it is anything more complicated than unclamping the connections and putting two extra cables across then I best leave it to the experts to fix.

All help very much appreciated.

One more point, I read somewhere that leisure batteries and engine batteries are different - Is that a big deal or a red herring?

2. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

More info on the TV will be usefull? Also what size battery?
    Is it CRT or flat screen? Mains via inverter or 12v? do you know how much power it draws?

Most modern 12v TV's draw around 2to3amps so with say a 100ah battery you should have used about 20 to 30% of the battery's useful life in 6 hours providing no lights etc are on.

3. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

I'll have to take a look next time I'm up at the storage yard. I know it is Avtex and it runs off 12 volt. It is 19 inch or pretty close. I think the battery is 85 AH.

4. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

Completely different animals.
    Without going into the (boring) topology of each type of battery. A leisure battery is designed to give a shallow discharge curve over a long period, whereas an engine battery is designed to give a high level of discharge over a very short period - i.e a few seconds to start the engine.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Baldeagle7470

Baldeagle7470 Funster

I have always thought that if you are running two leisure batteries they should be of the same age,or the old one will pull the other down.This is what I have done in the past.I am no expect but got two from I think called Tanya in the UK,good price and speedy delivery.

• Like Like x 1
  6. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

Correct.

• Like Like x 1
  7. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

A half decent battery should last a lot more than 13 months and should never be allowed to fully discharge. This may be why it is now us. Although, it may be recoverable with an intelligent charger. And, depending on your motorhome system (?) the tv shutdown may have been to protect your battery (was there an alarm (?).
    Anyhow, please find attached a couple of link's (Recently updated) which you may find helpful.
    http://www.campingandcaravanningclu...-insurance/preserving-your-motorhome-battery/
    http://www.campingandcaravanningclu...nicalhelp/power/a-guide-to-leisure-batteries/

This link is useful for connecting 2 batteries together.
    http://caravanchronicles.com/guides/how-to-connect-two-batteries-in-parallel/

Incidently, if your going to buy some new batteries, the top rated one is 'Banner'

Pound to pinch of dog shit, someone will challenge that !
    Happy trails,
    Philip

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

We have two Trojan batteries vented to the outside, solar panel, b2b and an inverter.
    Don't ask me how it all works as I havnt a clue. That's Ralph's domaine.
    I just know that we never have hook up, and I can just switch things on and they work. Be it the tv, hairdryer , straighteners, Hoover etc.
    We shall defiantly invest in another couple , when we get round to that bit in the new PVC Ralph's doing.

9. Wobby

Wobby Read Only Funster

It's true, both batteries should be the same age and capacity. As for linking them together, take care as you don't want to end up with a 24 volt system. Best you get some expert advice before you proceed, it's an easy job to do if you know how!

10. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Just backing up on what a lot have already said..
    No point in adding another battery to one that could be "knackered".. Better to invest in one or two new ones..
    The Avtex Tv's I think have a close down function to save wear on your battery, only seen it happen once on mine.