Two Go to France (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
swansea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
3 years
When we woke up this morning it was a bit cloudy and a might cold so we decided to move on and drove for about an hour eastwards through Lannion and stopped at Caping du Port at Landrellec, ACSI #1303. Our pitch could hardly be closer to the beach, there is about three feet of grass between us and the boulders above the sand.

After lunch, another bread-free salad with ham and cheese, low in carbs, high in fat but tasty, we went for a walk along the coastal footpath which literally started from the MH. We spent a couple of hours on a delightful walk in sunshine which was a contrast from the shower which was falling when we arrived.

The beaches here are stunning but it isn't sunbathing weather, which perhaps explains why they are deserted!

View attachment 74696

There are lots of boulders everywhere on the beaches and this got me wondering how they got here. There are no cliffs they have fallen off and I can only guess the underlying rock is itself shattered and as the sea has eroded away the soil the lumps of rock have been rounded by the action of waves. Or perhaps not, perhaps a glacier was involved. Any explanations gratefully received.

View attachment 74701

The usefulness of boulders has not been lost by the folk living in this region over the millennia. The dolmens we saw yesterday were made out of large flat rocks collected locally and there were signs everywhere of stone being collected from the beaches.

View attachment 74698

At the bottom of the picture above you might see a line of marks along the edge of a rock where wedges have been driven in to split off some stone. But the big boulder above it is interesting and it would be nice to think it shows evidence of some distant mason trying to make the flat stone for the roof of a dolmen, it is certainly big enough, but I suspect it may well be more recent. My attempts to find out more have so far been inconclusive.

We had a nice meal of moules and frittes in the campsite restaurant this evening - Mary's belated birthday thrash. €8.90 a plate plus wine and a very nice vanilla ice cream with real vanilla in it to follow at a table overlooking the sea. For a moment we both forgot all the suffering going on in other parts of Europe.

Tomorrow we will go on a longer walk and see if we can find more evidence of the early settlers here. :)
Love Camping du Port, it's one of the nicest sites we stayed on while in Brittany. Post Louis also has a very nice aire on the seafront!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back