Twitter - Whats your name? - @mhfun

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by journeyman, Apr 29, 2013.

1. journeyman

journeyman Read Only Funster

This post is primarily aimed at members who are already using twitter and not about the pro's and con's of it.

We had a discussion about twitter and its relevance to MHFun a year or so ago. I use twitter all the time, mainly as a tool to keep abreast of local information, as an example during the recent poor weather our local police and road agencies used it heavily to advise about road closures etc. Surely this has a crossover possibility for us members of this site. We are based all over the UK and into Europe, the potential for a dedicated twitter network based on MHF, updating fellow members about weather, sites, crime, ferry crossings, MH related problems whilst on the move etc, seems like a no-brainer.

The advantage of twitter is because each user is linked into their own networks, they can quickly pick up info thats useful and retweet to MHF members. We all have a shared interest, so we know whats useful and what isn't.

Jim advises me that the site already has a dedicated twitter name - @mhfun So initially those who are interested should follow that name, which would be the hub. Then its really down to members to pass on info, probably using the #mhfun tag. Incidentally Jim already has 260 odd followers!

My own twitter is: @jimmykranke

If it fails miserably, no problem, better to have tried...blah blah blah :thumb:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Good Idea:thumb:

I used twitter once when the site was down so I could let people know about the progress. except i think it was only Siân following us then:Blush: We do have a lot more followers now, so if you are a tweeter it probably is a good idea to follow us. Twitter is a great way to let people quickly know what is going on. I find i'm using it more and more.

3. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I did open an account when this site went down as Jim says.

Not used it since though and cant recall the name I used:Doh:

Now a regular poster on the sister site tw@tter:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 4
  4. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

@emg46 I use twitter to keep in touch with friends and family, sports updates and chit chat. :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Detnor

Detnor Funster

I find twitter is good for getting information.
    My local council/police are always putting out updates.
    Last year going to the F1 GP at Silverstone, it was invaluable, in the bad weather and traffic chaos, they kept pushing out information so at least there was a quick way of knowing what was happening. The ferry companies also tweet if there are problems etc.

Much of the twitter feed is just marketing, I tend to stop following anyone that just keeps telling me how good they are!
    @detnor

• Like Like x 1
  6. journeyman

Agree about the marketing, I will follow companies as long as they provide non commercial advice within their tweets. Hopefully by using the #mhfun for retweets, we can keep it targeted. I've been looking through Jim's contacts and some others, picking up a few with similar interests.

7. JJ

JJ Funster

I now have two Twitter accounts... one connected to my life before retirement and one I just set up after reading this thread and I do not know how to use either of them...:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Help needed!

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 6
  8. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

My personal account is @steveclecy which I have but few followers (cannot blame them really - I rarely "tweet") but I am the main "tweeter" on our local Police account @EportNestonNPU and am pleased that with regular updates have managed to increase followers from a measly 72 when I was invited to start updating just on a year ago to a current 582 (and growing).

I do have to say that I visit this site a whole lot more than Twitter but that is because no-one is restricted to 140 characters per post!

Steve

9. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

They are Now:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

10. lorger

lorger Funster

I opened one a couple of years ago and never signed in since as couldn't see the point, might speak to Sophie and ask her to set me up a new one:Rofl1:

11. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Anyone who does use Twitter or who is considering doing so I urge you to follow @Cmdr_Hadfield who gives regular updates from the International Space Station and there are many wonderful pictures and Youtube video links from space.

Steve

• Like Like x 4
  12. journeyman

I will try JJ, but its not the easiest thing to initially get your head around.

Think of Twitter as a tickertape of news, comments and views constantly coming onto your web browser, each message is called a "Tweet". However you will only get that Tweet from individuals that your interested in. So its like having a newspaper, but only having stories that float your boat.

Each news item is restricted to 140 characters, which is actually a good thing, as Tweeters need to keep their messages, succinct and to the point. The tweet may also have images attached or a link to a website page or online link. You as a tweeter can also post your own views, comments,stories, again you are restricted to 140 characters.

If you like a tweet you receive and think it will be useful to like minded people you can pass it on to them. This is called "Retweeting".

If you wanted to aim the story at a particular group, such as MH fun, you use a # followed by the group name within the message....so #mhfun for this site. Or if about Man United as another example #mufc or about Portugal #portugal

So anyone entering #mhfun into the twitter search box would see your post.

Heres an example of a message I retweeted earlier:

“@TrafficWalesN: A55 : Eastbound : J31 Prestatyn/Caerwys to J33A Northop : Road closed : Diversion : 29/04/13-02/05/13 1830-0200 :” #mhfun

Basically I received the initial message from Traffic Wales (@trafficWalesN), a gov agency via twitter because I follow them. I then retweeted it, including the tag #mhfun, then anyone who is searching on #mhfun would also get to read it, whether they are following me or not.

You "Follow" people or groups you are interested in. You can also instantly "Unfollow" I would suggest you start off with some large groups first...perhaps a well known individual or news organisation....then add in a couple of members off here to get used to it.

Its a brilliant tool for keeping in touch with what is going on...If anyone can improve on this explanation...pse jump in and help.

Jmn

• Like Like x 2
  13. 656

656 Read Only Funster

@poshweb

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gaz

Gaz Read Only Funster

i use twitter for about a year mainly when i have updated my website and have been following @mhfun for about 9 months

i am @Gaz43couk

• Like Like x 1
  15. JJ

JJ Funster

Thank you Journey Man...

There is 1 thing I really don't understand though...

Who the hell are "Man U"?

Do they make fertiliser?

JJ. :Cool:

Ps. @jjwagon (I think...)

16. journeyman

At least It proves you read and understood. My work is done!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gromett

Gromett Funster

ok, quick question. If I join this twatter thing and follow #mhfun and some eejit keeps posting crap I have no interest in. Can I block the eejit and keep the rest of #mhfun?

I actually deal with internet stuff all the time by trade but I have managed steer clear of "social media" hype so far.

I was forced into facebook by my sister as keeping up to date with the family but it has since expanded to just over 100 people half of whom I have no recollection of ever meeting. I am on the verge of dumping it and telling my sister she has two choices. Text me or email me if it is important....

I don't want to end up with another HUGE waste of my time...

If I can join #mhfun and then block the eejits I may well do it though....

18. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Don't do it ! Stand yer ground!

19. BritStops

BritStops Trader BritStop Owner

Would it be worth adding a Twitter field to the contact section of members' profiles? Then if anyone wanted to follow another member on Twitter they'd just have to look up their profile.

Steve :Smile:
    (@BritStops)

• Like Like x 1
  20. journeyman

If it catches on #mhfun would hopefully become redundant as use of twitter becomes more popular amongst members. Its a search term, so I think you have to physically do the the search(i might be wrong).

I'm hoping that Jim or one of the other "sensible" members would retweet anything of interest. So if you were following Jim and a small number of other funsters you would get to see whats of interest.

Its not like Facebook, its a much more powerful tool, but very simple. Its all about the use of language and whats relevant to you. Plus you can choose instantly to stop following someone or even block them.

What i'm trying to do at the moment is build up a network of site members who are already using it. If newcomers hop on, great.