Twin solar panels - different sizes/makes (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi guys

I've currently got an Alden 75W solar panel which I'm having moved to our new motorhome along with the cabling and regulator. Today I've just picked up a 50W Sunline Solarmodul MAP 50 panel (very reasonably priced at a car boot sale) and was wondering if I can use it alongside my existing panel/regulator etc?

Has anyone done this please?:Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Yes you can couple them up,I had 3 all different on my old Rockwood,bought them in Marroc,never had a problem with them.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Agreed ,

just check that the regulator is man enough to handle the extra current..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Swift 6 berth Coach built
Exp
Wish my local car booty had hidden loot like that:whatthe:
I will now watch the mrs every Sunday bringing back crap that we dont need. Ha

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
you ned to match the specs as best as you can,

most 12 volt panels have an open voltage of 21 volts, and a max load voltage of 17, current output isnt importiant,

if the voltages are too far out the higher voltage one will just be providing the power and the lower voltage one will drop out, cant remember if it drops out all together or reduces output,
when i got some more panels to add to my first one i matched the voltages exactly,

and of course as others have said, make sure the regulator can handle the combined current, i had to go from a 10 to 30 amp regulator when i added 2 more 125 watt panels.

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Bulgaria/Greece/Turkey/Wa
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
ON and off 10 years but trav 25
Solar panels

Just purchased a ' 100 w kit ' from Ebay for ÂŁ340 ....plus ÂŁ35 to post to Bulgaria,brill !!Now lets see if thats enough to let me 'wildcamp' for a couple of weeks at a time,here in sunny Bulgaria/greece.
Tried everywhere here to find some,they have a hot water type kit here and in Greece,but one for 12v electrics seems to be rare in these parts ??!!Can anyone tell me different,it seems nuts i have to have it posted 2000 miles (and glass too )so reading this post,i can add a 50w or another 100w ? if this is not enough....Any wise guy out there can give s a photo or a wiring type diagram to go along with saying,just YES ! It would be a great help for others contenplating trying and fitting Solar Panels to a van/motorhome.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Wish my local car booty had hidden loot like that:whatthe:
I will now watch the mrs every Sunday bringing back crap that we dont need. Ha

Finding 'goodies' at car boot sales is our hobby and can be quite a nice little earner, but you need to know what you're looking at and what it's worth. We pick up a variety of stuff including small dog travel cages/pet cages, mobility walkers (3 and 4 wheel variety), 12v cool boxes, portable washing machine for ÂŁ6 (sold for ÂŁ30), magnetic cat flap (for ÂŁ1 - sold on ebay for ÂŁ20:RollEyes:), broadband dongles, dehumidifiers, porta potties, gas cylinders, and last year a brand new Fiamma bike rack, still in it's box for ÂŁ25!!!! Charity shops can occasionally be a good source of goodies too.

I've just bought an exercise walker machine called 'Leg Magic' for ÂŁ3 which I intend to use to get myself a bit fitter, hubby had a look on ebay and found out it's worth at least ÂŁ40 so is trying to get me to sell it!!! No way ... it's mine, all mine!!! Thunder thighs no more!:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just purchased a ' 100 w kit ' from Ebay for ÂŁ340 ....plus ÂŁ35 to post to Bulgaria,brill !!Now lets see if thats enough to let me 'wildcamp' for a couple of weeks at a time,here in sunny Bulgaria/greece.
Tried everywhere here to find some,they have a hot water type kit here and in Greece,but one for 12v electrics seems to be rare in these parts ??!!Can anyone tell me different,it seems nuts i have to have it posted 2000 miles (and glass too )so reading this post,i can add a 50w or another 100w ? if this is not enough....Any wise guy out there can give s a photo or a wiring type diagram to go along with saying,just YES ! It would be a great help for others contenplating trying and fitting Solar Panels to a van/motorhome.
Simple basic instalation
The control panel will be clearly marked
Batt + - cables from these conect to the Battery

Load + - if it has these terminals (not all have) they can be used to charge small items like phone etc when main batts are full, spare power is transferd to these load terminals
Panel = - Cables from the panel go into these

Attachments

• solar_panel_circuit_diagram_with_regulator.jpg
    solar_panel_circuit_diagram_with_regulator.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 43

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Hi guys

I've currently got an Alden 75W solar panel which I'm having moved to our new motorhome along with the cabling and regulator. Today I've just picked up a 50W Sunline Solarmodul MAP 50 panel (very reasonably priced at a car boot sale) and was wondering if I can use it alongside my existing panel/regulator etc?

Has anyone done this please?:Smile:

:Cool: On my first RV I had fitted a 120 watt then added a 120 of the same type plus another of 50 watt. The later 120w + 50w were run from a different controller to the first one with no problems at all. :thumb:

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
that's one way to do it, you can paralell up as many controllers as you like, i still havre my 10 amp controller, so if i ever have a spare 300 quid i can get another panel and not need to upgrade my existing 30 amp controller,

btw i paid just under 300 each for my 2 x 125 watt panels from germany, found them on ebay but went to them as i was in the country a month later, so no shipping charges,
my first panel i got off a bloke who had a palet load of them shipped from america, that one cost me around 325, which was pretty cheap for a shar 123 wat panel, see the same ones at motorhome shows for 700 squids!!

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
How easy are Solar Panels to fit?

I have been looking at a Link Removed and I asked them if they would fit it. Its not something they normally do but they said it would cost about ÂŁ450 all in. I am wondering if it's easy enough to do myself and save the ÂŁ250 fitting plus fuel.

If not straight forwarded tempted to get one and not fit to roof and just have it free standing against the van.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If you can use a drill and a screw driver its very simple, take you about 1 hr or two at the most
Ive put a wiring diagram on here somewhere:thumb:
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just took a look at that kit
You will need a controler too:thumb:
Geo

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
You will also want a water proof box where you go through the roof.
Also better if you run the cable on the roof through a channel box, stops the cable thrashing about.

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Thanks Geo, found this Link Removed which I thought looked suitable.

Thanks robnchris, I've ordered Link Removed for where the cable enters the van, had thought I would use some trunking that have for cable across the roof.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Do you intend to charge two seperate batteries
ie hab battery and starter battery
If not I would go with the one sold from the panel supplier

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
No, I only plan to intend the habitation batteries.

I was just looking at higher max load:)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The 80W panels will only kick out about 4 amp max maybe 4.5 in the Sahara:Doh: