Free Member
Aug 13, 2009
Notts/Derbys boarder
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
30 years off / on
Just got back from France, with my Silvermint....we stopped at one site in the middle of no where,( late evening) the site was empty not even a tent peg....the owners said they were open,so we started to give our details when this chap came in and said that we could not park up because we have twin axels, and that was against the law..there was a sign stating caravans were not allowed,to park up with twin axels, and I pointed out that ours was a camping car,a big motor home not a caravan...
So off we went not very happy But no to worry found a nice place a few Ks down the road, with about 30 other MHs FREE of charge !!!! Has anyone else had problems like this? I covered over 2000 miles and this was the only place we were refused. I knocked over and bust the water stack pipe at another site in the Med; flooding the site and they were very nice about it.!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I believe this is not uncommon in France. I know for instance, that the municipal site at Amboise will not allow twin-axle vans. I think it has something to do with preventing 'travellers' from using sites (and presumably out-staying their welcome in the town).

Twin-axle Hobby and Fendt caravans seem to be the home of choice for the 'traveller' / Roma community, usually towed by a white panel van. We noticed many more of them about this year in France, both in July and in the last couple of weeks. Often we saw quite large unofficial camps by the side of main roads.

I guess the twin-axle restriction on sites applies to any living vehicle. For French Camping Caristes this is not a problem as the majority of French motorhomes are smaller than we tend to use (mostly below 3.5 tonnes to avoid expensive licensing I believe). In fact, I cannot remember ever seeing a French-registered twin-axle motorhome on the roads although there must be some long Fiat-Alko based Pilote and Frankia 6-wheelers about I suppose.

Philip

davetthedon

Free Member
Mar 25, 2009
Malvern, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
GreatBig Bugger
Exp
We had a similar experience a few years ago when we stopped "on the fly", somewhere around the auvergne, the staff were playing boule, and were downright rude. Personally I don't have any grudge to bear with the french per se, I have quite a few french ami's, but these people were obnoxious. We turned around, with some difficulty, as they wouldn't even open the barrier, and trundled off down the road. Also after a few K we found another municipal site, i think it was Issoire, and the girl in charge there said its against the rules for a twin axel to stay on a muni site, but gave us a pitch in a corner and asked us to cover the wheels :ROFLMAO:
We proceeded up the road and had a very nice meal, and a couple of bottles.
Once again both sites were practically empty.
Takes all sorts don't it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think it has something to do with preventing 'travellers' from using sites (and presumably out-staying their welcome in the town).

This is correct,

We experienced this problem many years ago when we had a twin axle caravan, sites can't discriminate on race so they ban twin axle vehicles ... but you won't have any trouble on aires .. the Police watch out for travellers and move them on, whether they have twin axles or not.

jim

Last edited:

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have heard simular storys but we had no problem on a Municiple site in August this year with our Tag.

Municiple+site+at.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back