TVs

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Lord Mac, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Lord Mac

Lord Mac Funster

I know that a lot of you hsve televisions so will be able to give advice. Avatex or Kogan?
    What are the pros and cons for each.

Sorry if this wuestion has been asked before.

2. Terry

Terry Funster

Avtex are expensive and kogan are cheap :BigGrin: but out of stock at the moment :Doh: There are lots of different 12v tvs Cello are another that spring to mind - have a good look around in currys, tesco asda etc, you pays your money's etc, if you find one that takes your fancy then check to see if John Lewis sells the same because they give a 5 yr warranty free
    terry

3. laneside

laneside Funster

Our Cello Traveller does all it is supposed to do at far less than an Avtec the only problem is it takes so long to tune I have invariably nodded off before it gets there

• Like Like x 1
  4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

5. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

We've just bought an 21" Avtex this morning from towsure ( sorry peter ) 5% off if your a member of CCC too so that saved us £20.
    Ralph did a lot of research between cello and avtex , avtex is twice as expensive but has excellent reviews. Not so the cello. So he says.
    I just like the fact I'll be able to switch on a digital tv and have all the Chanel's where ever we are , without having to spend ages tuning in. Watch all the DVD's through it , plus it's got a built in satellite decoder. :thumb:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Melian

Melian Funster

TV

We have a Avtex that we bought in 2006 which still works as like new, we bought a Kogan and had to send in back twice, then i asked for my money back which i got :BigGrin: We fond the kogan sound very tinney.

We have still got the Avetex which we use in the bedroom and bought another 12v/240v from sainsburys for the lounge, touch wood no issues in 2 years,:thumb:

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

you could be missing out......

not all tv stations transmit on the same frequency on all transmitter masts

some channels arent transmitted at all in one area but are in another.

always retune at a new location....it only takes a few minutes while you open a bottle or put the kettle on.

the only way to truly turn on and watch is via satellite tv...the channel numbers/frequencies are the same all over the uk.

• Like Like x 2
  8. daisy mae

daisy mae Read Only Funster

Avtex everytime, for us, cheaper ones, the sound is awful, tinny. if you don`t like the sound, more expense to change, John Lewis recommended, we have bought two Avtecs, a 22" for the caravan which we also use in the kitchen at home, and a 16" for my mh.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  9. REKERLY

REKERLY Funster

Avtex for us. Our previous van tv had a very narrow viewing angle and poor contrast. It was not cheap and when it broke we were not unhappy. As we were at a show we went immediately and bought a 21" Avtex with built in satellite decoder and DVD player. So far delighted with it.

10. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

We realise that pappa , but the avtex has a 1 button tuning system , aqt. Press that and it sorts it all out. Instead of going into menu settings and faffing. We tend to use the satellite as well most of the time.:thumb:

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

apologies....i thought you meant you dont retune at all.

i only use satellite so dont know if its a still a requirement to retune with digital tv as it was with analogue tv. !.

12. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Oh dear, you get 10% Funster discount from me !

Peter

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

I know Peter , Ralph did look and does buy a lot from you online , but we got the bigger 2013 , 21.5 inch wide screen super slim HD free view and satellite receiver version :Rofl1: :Wink:for £380.
    I know it's not cheap , but we do watch a lot of TV and DVDs in the Motorhome through the dark wet and cold winter months when were away.
    Plus we've had the old tv since we had a caravan , so it was due replacing. We know they are good , not just from the reviews , but from recommendations from friends too.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  14. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

Cheap £80 Tesco special for us. We don't watch much TV and just wanted something small and 12V with HDMI input.

• Like Like x 1
  15. B-well

B-well Funster

Avtex have had no prolems, simple to tune.:thumb:

16. Cyclewalkbob

Cyclewalkbob Funster

Do not forget the after sales service, I had a problem with the DVD on my Avtex.

They replaced it for the newer model!

This is the second Avtex we have had the 15" and the newer 16", it's the old adage " you get what you pay for"

Thumbs up for Avtex!

17. SmartIE

SmartIE Read Only Funster

We just bought the 18.5" Avtex, with Sat tuner, at the NEC show and now with a change of plans find it surplus to our needs so if anyone is interested in a brand new TV (with the case) my email is I.emery1 at sky.com. It cost us £350, sensible offers?

Cheers, Ian

18. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Avtex for us! There "after sales" is excellent too:thumb:

Margaret & Bill

19. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

had an aalternative and sold it along with the last van.
    Just bought a 24inch Kogan with pvr for the new one..
    It fine.. For what I paid I am more than happy.
    I found the after quite clunky.. Worked OK though. I can have 2 of these Kogans for the price of an after.. The sounds not too bad to be honest

20. Terry

Terry Funster

Who said you get what you pay for ? My mate mends tvs and he says that the Cello has cheapo insides, but then so do many of the others.Big brand names are marginally better on there cheap models, but a lot better on there top range.Avtex fall in the cheap range but they charge premium price :Wink:He cannot coment on the after sales but he gets quite a few that he repairs and he loves them, simply because he gets almost double the price for them :BigGrin:from nutters with caravans /MHs :BigGrin: Again he cannot coment on the Kogans as he's never had one but he says simply on the prices they will have cheapo insides :Doh:--rather than you get what you pay for he says you pay your money and makes your choice :thumb: Me I have a old Bush with built in DVD (free off mate) and a 13 quid decoder from Asda both about 6 or 7 yrs old :Smile: it does the job :thumb:
    terry