LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin
Exp
since June 2014
We are getting our new MH mid June (excitement building daily) - we have already specified an Oyster 85 Sat system and the dealer is suggesting that we should also fit an aerial for normal digital signals (Status 330 being proposed).

Is this a sensible suggestion from the dealer or just an attempt to make more money?
:thanks2:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I have an oyster 85cm dish fitted and receive a brilliant picture from it as far away as Southern France. I don't understand why you would need an additional aerial fitted to be honest, although I don't know much about them. A more experienced Funster may be able to assist but I can't see the benefit :Smile:

ps enjoy yr first trip!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clewsy

Clewsy

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin
Exp
since June 2014
Thanks - the dealer is saying its for when we can't get a TV picture by satellite due to trees /buildings etc. but I'm not convinced that will often be an issue.

If it is we will have to open another bottle & entertain ourselves.:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Well I must admit that when I arrive at a new campsite I always try and find a pitch that has very few trees but that is because i have internet connectivity through my dish. I'm not that bothered about the TV to be honest but I know what the dealer is saying. I suppose it depends if you are going to be in the UK mainly or abroad, and also if you are going to be using campsites or wildcamping, where you can choose your spot! The trees do affect your signal, but I would hope that a more experienced Funster will be able to advise as I have not had a normal aerial fitted to the van therefore have no experience of reception etc.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
But the wine solution seems to be the best idea! :thumb:

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I have an Oyster 85 dish and a Necvox digital aerial. I chose to fit the digital aerial too so have the choice and also in severe weather it's always good to put the dish down.

The Necvox is a fantastic aerial and only small. If you search on eBay you will see them. It even works inside the MH but when I fitted my solar panels I also roof mounted the aerial. The base is magnetic but with the MH roof been aluminium I cut a jar lid the same diameter, sprayed in with Zinc paint and sikaflexed it to roof, so the aerial now sticks to that and I routed the cable through the same roof gland as my solar cables.

I can post pics if needed.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
We have a satilite dish but are also going to get a digital aerial fitted because if it's too windy we put the dish down anyway just incase of damage., or we may just change to a dome which we had before. :thumb:

Chris69

Free Member
Feb 5, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2006
Have you considered a sat dome instead of dish?
No problems with windy condition with dome.

I would also consider an aerial and an external aerial inlet.
If you use caravan club sites there is often a booster system on site which you can plug into.
I have a dome and also carry a very compact Avtex aerial which can be used inside or out. It can be fixed with suckers and removed when no required.
I don't have a fixed aerial.

Chris

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I had both .. belt and braces.

I used the Sat dish when abroad or in the UK when you have poor or no terrestrial signal.

Aerial for the UK for use in stormy/windy weather.. or when trees block the sat signal..

Aerial is no use abroad unless you want to watch foreign stations.

If it's stormy abroad you read a book or listen to music

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
hi what the dealers telling you makes sense but the 330 is next to useless and at aprox £80 to buy (not fitted) its also a waste of money --I have recently bought one of these Broken Link Removed
and they are very impressive :thumb:-less than 40 quid easy to wire the 12v supply or plug into cig thing and a long co ax means you can mount it anywhere on the van or simply throw it in a cupboard ::bigsmile:
terry

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Thanks - the dealer is saying its for when we can't get a TV picture by satellite due to trees /buildings etc. but I'm not convinced that will often be an issue.

If it is we will have to open another bottle & entertain ourselves.:Blush:

Line of site may well be an issue, it has at time been so for us, and we use a portable vucube (dome) we can place on the roof or around our pitch on a extension lead. whether or not this would be an issue for you on the odd occassion this happens is up to you.

I have both, but cant remember when I last used the arial.

best idea, your not glued to the tv

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
We have both, but bought our digital aerial from maplin - about £40 which sticks on inside or outside.
(Check your tv can take a 12 volt powered external aerial - ours is avtex)
Obviously only good for uk when as others have said trees obstruct / high winds a problem. Used it twice so far (bath and somewhere in North Norfolk)
In Europe no use at all, but again still the tree problem.
Note to all - campsite memling, bruges, Belgium - no satellite reception at all, (last week) not a single van had their dish up, too many trees, so don't just think far south as an issue.
We are not tv addicts but I do like the bbc news!
We also have all our dvd's backed up on a portable hard drive which plugs into the TV. For instant library should it be chucking it down

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have both, set up to different TV's.

Don't know why because we don't watch much tv:Doh:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I used a potable sat dish a few times, also a put up a on the ladder aerial---

We found we wanted to get away from all the soap c**p when off, the rest is just news and tripe which i can pick up on my phone if needed, so we don`t bother with it, we just go to a pub somewhere.

Unless WW3 has broken out even the news is boring--i sooner log on to Shifty`s latest offerings :thumb: not so pc.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I used a potable sat dish a few times, also a put up a on the ladder aerial---

We found we wanted to get away from all the soap c**p when off, the rest is just news and tripe which i can pick up on my phone if needed, so we don`t bother with it, we just go to a pub somewhere.

Unless WW3 has broken out even the news is boring--i sooner log on to Shifty`s latest offerings :thumb: not so pc.

I want one, how many bottles does that take? :ROFLMAO:

Sorry!

Back to the OP, I wouldn't bother with an aerial now but I would have had the dealer fit one before we collected the van if I'd thought about it. As said, very windy conditions would mean the sat dish going down, we don't always remember tree problems before we park up and often on a club site there's not too much choice of pitch. The dome may be more versatile weather wise but the 40cm Roadpro that we have does add height to the roof.

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
I can't give any recommendation for particular sat systems or aerials, but the other day, I saw a hired motorhome cruising down the A38 at about 65 with a sat dish spinning round and round on the roof. I remember thinking that that probably wasn't such a good idea :ROFLMAO:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
I used to have a £10.00 Aerial clamped to a brush handle and clamped to my bike rack never let me down in the UK, 85 Dish down in Spain no good, I have a 1.2 free standing Dish it wont work now it seems you need a 1.3 or above, it went off in Portugal also. Pete :Sad::Sad:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We are getting our new MH mid June (excitement building daily) - we have already specified an Oyster 85 Sat system and the dealer is suggesting that we should also fit an aerial for normal digital signals (Status 330 being proposed).

Is this a sensible suggestion from the dealer or just an attempt to make more money?
:thanks2:
Ours came with satellite and terrestrial. We use the terrestrial far more. It works when driving (for the kids, not the driver!). It doesn't require 10 minutes up a ladder adjusting. It doesn't blow over in high winds. I'm sure a dome is better than our rubbish dish, though. We only use the satellite when the terrestrial has no signal.

Kelso

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Whitchurch, Hants
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
10 years
Sat vs Ariel

Hi,

We have a motorhome fitted with a dome satelite system, but have found dead spots around the UK, so have had a terrestial ariel fitted as well.
I would say i is definitely worth having both.

Also you can fit a freeview box (£50) eBay, which will allow you to record 2 programs as well.

Hope this helps.
Margit & Kelso

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010