Tv with built in satellite

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by Gazza333, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Gazza333

Gazza333 Funster

Ok my tv in the motorhome has gone bang. I intend to fit a satellite dome soon so is it a good idea to buy a tv with built in satellite decoder ? Spend 50/50 time in uk and Europe .
    Anyone who has one give me a review of pros and cons?

Thinking it will save space from having to have a separate box

Gary

2. dpsuk999

dpsuk999 Funster

I have always had the Avtex TV's with built in Sat Decoder which are great, however I also have the 12v Sky decoders too so I can take my sky card with me. I can simply switch between either of them through a RF switch from maplins so I have best of both worlds but in answer to your question, I guess the pro's are not having to buy a seperate decoder and fitting it etc, but the only con would be if the inbuilt decoder failed but to be honest Avtex have a great customer service dept and their TV' are great quality, can't say about other cheaper makes though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gazza333

Gazza333 Funster

Many thanks. I'm thinking of getting the cello traveller tv. I see your point about the decoder failing , maybe ill carry a cheap decoder too as a just in case. Many years ago I used to own a 12 v pace decoder but foolishly sold it when I sold our first motorhome.

4. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

I've had my 19" Cello Sat TV for a couple of years and it continues to work well.

:cooler:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Larby

Larby Funster

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gazza333

Gazza333 Funster

Any experience of what film file types it accepts from the USB ?. Ie avi etc. my current tv only accepts mpeg2 I think it was and it was a right time consuming pain to convert everything

7. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

19" C19103F Traveller

This is the one I have which does have Free to Air Sat TV.

:cooler:

• Like Like x 1
  8. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

May be a bit late now BUT.. If you just change the file tag type ie from .avi to .mpeg it works !!!! Found out while messing and then got a free program on internet. Changed all my 500gb drive in about 3o seconds..

Gazza...
    Buying a TV with a built in satellite receiver and then carrying a spare seperate receiver "just in case" seems a bit pointless.. :)

Good point about Freesat vs Free to air...
    Either will do the job you need, just depends if you like a TV guide in a bit more sensible order for UK channels..

• Like Like x 2
  9. Chipster

Chipster Funster Life Member

We have an Alphatronics R19 with built in sat, DVB and DVD player runs 12v. IMO it works very well and relatively easy to use.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gazza333

Gazza333 Funster

Yes I thought that about 3 seconds after I posted it :)

11. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

We have a Cello 19" Traveller as well been pleased with like all small TV sound is poor I wired ours into the Motorhome sound system, the Traveller TV's have Freeview & FTA and a DVD player.

Freeview is for the terrestrial transmissions use receive via an aerial, nothing to do with Freesat.
    Freesat is the UK digital satellite system, which has a 7 day EPG.
    FTA Free to Air Satellite is the general sat system that can be tuned to most satellites does not have the 7 day EPG, only now & next program.

There are no TV's made with Freesat, all the TV's with a satellite tuner only have the FTA system, even the expensive Avtex ones only have FTA, if you want Freesat you will have to buy a separate digi box.

• Like Like x 1