LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
We have only ever used our TV on EHU. We haven't got a power lead to use it on 12v. What do we need to buy? On top of that out van is a Hymer and I believe it needs some sort of adapter to plug in because of having continental sockets. You will have guessed by now that I am extremely gormless when it comes to using 12v anything. Please help :confused::confused::confused:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Something like this.. You can use smaller but for the cost 150w is a handy size and can be used for other things if needed..
Broken Link Removed

Similar and other models are available from multiple suppliers :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
What's the make and model of your TV? You may be able to get a proper 12V lead/supply for it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks Tonka. Just a bit confused. Is this ok if we have a 12v tv?
Plug your mains plug into it.. Simple. If you can get a 12v lead that would be better but if not this is the next best thing.
An inverter changes 12v up to mains voltage.

OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
I am really really gormless on this. If we used Tonkas converter could we use an ordinary TV or do you have to have 12v? Can someone spell this out for me in really really simple language?

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I think, without going to the van, that ours is an Akura.
It is a 12v tv with DVD player which can be run straight from a 12v socket or off mains with an adapter, giving the best of both worlds.
Do you plug straight from the set to mains, or through an adapter?
If it's an adapter it's probably a 12v tv in the first place.

Reactions: DBK
Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Modern TV's often have a transformer/inverter somewhere in the lead or plug much like a laptop or tablet. That's what ours has so I just use a 12v lead even if on hook up saves carrying both.

OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
I know that the tv is 12v it has got the adapter, but I haven't got a lead to plug it straight into the 12v socket. Where can I get the lead from? Not sure exactly what I need. Does it need anything else? I've heard that you can get surges from 12v supply that can frazzle your tv. Is that right?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I know that the tv is 12v it has got the adapter, but I haven't got a lead to plug it straight into the 12v socket. Where can I get the lead from? Not sure exactly what I need. Does it need anything else? I've heard that you can get surges from 12v supply that can frazzle your tv. Is that right?

Never heard of a 12V surge, let along a TV killing one. We've only ever had 12v TVs running on 12V

I've had a look and there is more than one type of 12V connector available for Akura TVs depending on the model.

Can you post the model number of your TV?

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Never had a problem with 12v in over 30 years. Check your TV lead or TV skt it will tell you the input voltage required, probably 12v and if your lucky you may find you already have a lead, I found my torch charging lead fitted.

OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry can't find the model number. It may be on the back but it is attached to a mounting plate that fits into the cupboard. The only thing I know is that it is an Akura 12v 16 inch screen. I feel like I'm causing a lot of bother and confusion. I think I understand now that I could just plug it direct into the 12v socket. My problem is that I haven't got a power lead to do that. So I'm wondering where I can buy one?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
My problem is that I haven't got a power lead to do that. So I'm wondering where I can buy one?

That's why I wanted the model number. I looked at 3 random Akura TVs and they all had different connectors.

There isn't a universal one. You need to make sure you buy the right one.

If you can't get at the back of the TV another way to do it may be if you could unplug the mains lead from the TV, take a picture of the end of it and post that.

OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
It looks like this. end.jpg

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You probably cant buy a dedicated 12v lead for your Akura tv....but someone could easily make you one.

In response to volt surge nay sayers....
A mains tranformer will output a regulated 12v supply and is a safe voltage for the Tv.
Plug directly into a 12v socket and the voltage is variable ......with output up to 14.4v when the charger kicks in with a discharged battery, which could be too high for the tv's sensitive electronics.

Dedicated 12v tv's, Avtex etc, will have an inbuilt voltage stabilizer which is why they are dedicated 12v tv's.

Amperor sell a voltage stabiliser which does the job admirably well.

Amazon product ASIN B000ZLRXG8

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
That looks like the right one Nick Thank you very much. Thanks to everyone else who responded too. I think I've finally got it. It's no where near as complicated as I thought. Thanks too pappajohn. I thought there was something like that. Feeling much happier about this now. Still got lots of other stuff to sort before we head off for our first trip over the channel in April.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back