Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Good morning all.

Can you advise. We have bought an Avtex and it works on 240 EHU but unfortunately we dont seem to be able to get it to work on 110. Maybe the connection??? We have a van that is 11 years old and it has fitted a flat two pin socket that we plug a two prong plug in which leads to a female cigarette lighter connection that leads to the male that then goes to the tv. It doesnt work on the cigarette lighter in the dash either. What do you all think?

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I presume you mean 12v not 110v as that is the voltage used in the US.

Could be there are too many connections on your leads.

Regarding the Gigarette lighter do you have to have the ignition switched on before it will operate.?

Also, is there a selector switch on the TV to switch between 230v and 12v?

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Thanks for your reply :thumb:. Other half is at work so I will ask the questions and will post as he replies.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Thanks for your reply :thumb:. Other half is at work so I will ask the questions and will post as he replies.

I agree with estcres... Maybe to many connections and distance.....
I pressume you do mean 12v....Do you have a 12v wire and plug connection coming from the TV......and a seperate 230v -240v transformer....when you are on mains electric.

have you checked other 12v items to see they work.... at each connection....to eliminate any break in the wire or plug

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
If you have a TV which works on both 12v and 240v why not just plug it into 12v system and leave it like that ? After all,when you are on EHU you are charging your 12v system any way,and if you're not on EHU you can only use 12v (unless you use an inverter)
Ours has been plugged into 12v system for 3 yrs now with no probs at all ::bigsmile:

Mike

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Did you buy the Avtex new? If so which model is it.
If it is new you could always go back to the supplier.

Our Avtex has a 12V lead with a cigarette lighter socket on one end and a small round plug which goes into the TV. This has 4 pins inside which connect to the TV, similar to this one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coiled-4-Pin-TV-LCD-Adaptor-12V-Power-Lead-Cigarette-Socket-Plug-Car-Caravan-NEW-/330636442130?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item4cfb77ba12#ht_1213wt_858

We run the TV off 12V at all times whether on hook up or not.

Additionally check that there is not a fuse in your 12v plug lead or connections which may have blown.

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Just a thought here, does it work on 240V when away from home or do you just use 12V when away. Does any power get to the set at all, any standby lights come on. You are retuning/ searching for a signal when you change locations arn't you.
so is it a power or a tuning problem. Is there any power at the socket at all, will it run anything. If there is power at the socket (dash cigar socket will probably only be live with ignition switched on) then do a continuity test between each connector back to the TV one of them is either faulty or there is a blown fuse in the cigar type plug. Do all checks with a multimeter.

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
There are a few questions I will have to check with the other half!!!!!! but I have attached a photo of the plug fitted to the van. On the other end of this isnt a normal connection it is a cigarette lighter attachment hence why we have the extra leads. The Avtex is a W103D.

Attachments

• connection.jpg
    connection.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 38

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi that is a 12v plug :Smile:Plug in in and turn on the 12v leccy in the van/on control panel and see if tv works :winky:
terry

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
It worked once on the 12v and it works on EHU all the time not a problem (apart from signal lol) so I guess from all your suggestions it could be fuse, faulty wire etc. We have tried the tv in the lighter on the dash but didnt turn ignition on. To test that is there an order on switching on?

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Thanks to everyone for your help. Tv is now working, it was the fuse in the cigarette lighter socket, we didnt even realise it had one!

Just need to source an aerial or suitcase jobby then at least we can watch it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back