TV Mount through a shower wall (1 Viewer)

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Is it ok to mount a tv wall bracket, to an internal wall, the reverse of which would be a shower wall?? I have a swift sundance 630G

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
difficult to make it neat unless theres a cupboard in the shower room.

the bracket fixings will need to go right through the wall with large washers or a spreader plate in the shower room.

otherwiae, as long as the fixings are sealed, there is no reason why not.

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Bit dodgey that,, most internall walls are made of covered thin plywood set on a thin wood frame work and hollow,,and not the same as outer walls which are sandwich construction and can take a bit of weight "With Care"

If you intend to remove the tv from the bracket whilst travelling, it should be ok.. but with the tv in place there will be a certain amount of bounce which in turn will place a lot of stress on the wall even as Papajohn says with a back plate..

Once upon a time I wanted to do the same in a caravan,, same problem thin walls,, so what I did was drill a half inch hole where the bracket was to go and get some expanding foam from B&Q and squirt some in using the flexi tube to get as much in around and past the little hole as possible,, leave to cure for a day,, and you have a more or less solid wall.. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I too have a 630g and I would not do it on the ground that if the backing plate on the shower side leaks the damage could be serious and the cost eye watering.

On the other hand why do you want to fit it on in that position? Its puts the TV at the head of the bed, the other side of the entrance is a much better position and as you can mount it through the wardrobe its easier and more comfortable to watch.

I made my own mounting arm and the backing plates where of stainless steal 8" X 3" both sides of the bulkhead the arm is such that the TV can be viewed from the bed and swung around to be watched from the rest on the accommodation, I also made a small ledge for the TV to on and secured by a lip that the TV sits in to stop it moving during travel.

If you want some photo's let me know.

Doug...

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Bit dodgey that,, most internall walls are made of covered thin plywood set on a thin wood frame work and hollow,,and not the same as outer walls which are sandwich construction and can take a bit of weight "With Care"

If you intend to remove the tv from the bracket whilst travelling, it should be ok.. but with the tv in place there will be a certain amount of bounce which in turn will place a lot of stress on the wall even as Papajohn says with a back plate..

Once upon a time I wanted to do the same in a caravan,, same problem thin walls,, so what I did was drill a half inch hole where the bracket was to go and get some expanding foam from B&Q and squirt some in using the flexi tube to get as much in around and past the little hole as possible,, leave to cure for a day,, and you have a more or less solid wall.. :thumb:

the internal walls on swifts are around 3/8th's solid fibre board and as long as there is some sort of spreader they are strong enough.

my 15" lcd/dvd is permenently mounted on the wardrobe/cupboard wall in the same manner and doesnt move.
i have a 6" X 6" X 1/8th spreader plate in the cupboard.:thumb:

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
You live and learn,, did not realise that John,, mind i`m going back 20 years. :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Thanks for replies

Ill have a think, currently it lives in its box and i just unpack , stand up and plug in. true not the instant tv access I would like but the additional 3 mins setting up and packing away wont kill me... 19" Telly weighs in at 7kg so not sure to what extent the spreader plate will cope...An option would be to get a smaller tv but it already took some convincing of the misses that I couldnt run our 46" LCD from the leisure batteries so she could watch Coronation Street!!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back