TV IN SPAIN AGAIN SORRY! (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
I know there has been loads of talk about it, if or if not you can receive TV in Spain.

We have a 85cm Oyster sat set up. What is the up to date situation re receiving TV in Spain? If we are unable to receive TV via our Oyster is there any other way? We very rarely stay on sites so will not have wifi very often. Any suggestions please.

colyboy

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Most of the time when we 'run out' of Sky we simply use the antenna and the tv on digital.
There is an awful lot of english speaking programmes in the evenings but you have to go through them all to find them ( and do it lots of times every evening and make a note of what is on where (y)

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I know there has been loads of talk about it, if or if not you can receive TV in Spain.

We have a 85cm Oyster sat set up. What is the up to date situation re receiving TV in Spain? If we are unable to receive TV via our Oyster is there any other way? We very rarely stay on sites so will not have wifi very often. Any suggestions please.

colyboy
Whilst in Bennicasim (Spain) for 7 weeks we observed many Brits using Sky boxes with RENTED 1.5 mtr SAT' dishes, only two campers were able to get UK TV with 85cm dishes but both said the reception kept breaking up... so I think the point of this post is forget those expensive roof all singing and dancing Sat' Dishes just rent the right size and away you go:):):)

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
the way i do it is i have internet through my oyster that is unlimited between 11pm and 7 am . i have a sky subscription and get most of these channels through the dish normally. to get the other 5 main uk channels i use a sky "on demand " box and just download the programs overnight that i want to watch with catchup tv . it means i am a day behind but i am not worried about that. if you are on a campsite with wifi you can do the same and download at night instead of streaming and not hog all the bandwidth.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, don't think you will have much luck with your 85cm dish, you might get true movies and pick things like that.
We have a 1.4m dish on the Costa blanca, but I understand further north or south its not large enough.:eek:
But...............while on the site in Cabanas de Tavira Portugal, a Dutch man was selling an 80cm dish and a box or take you box away and fiddle with it and you get BBC 1 and 2. ITV and Channel 4 . :D Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
the way i do it is i have internet through my oyster that is unlimited between 11pm and 7 am .

Sorry.. what's an oyster...

And in my experience I can't get UK tv channels on the web when I'm abroad as they all say I'm not in the UK.. what's the trick...

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
An Oyster is an automated self seeking sat dish :)

there are ways around the not in the UK thing by using proxy servers.. just google it :)

However, just using a sites wifi to watch telly is pretty anti-social and if other around you find out you aint gonna be popular !!

Deleted User
Sorry.. what's an oyster...

And in my experience I can't get UK tv channels on the web when I'm abroad as they all say I'm not in the UK.. what's the trick...
Use a VPN such as Zenmate for Google chrome browser,free, lots of others about some free and others cost, some browser specific and some not.
Or use filmon, if you register,free, you can download lots of TV but on the usual site wifi can be slow but better than nothing.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Wow Satellite BB with an automatic dish sounds very cool... Just dialling up Santa...

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp

colyboy
If you subscribe to SKY there are still many channels receivable on an 85cm dish even in Spain as many are transmitted on the Pan European Beam has a far wider footprint

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
as said there isnt many channels from my sky package that i cant get here in spain. my internet via satelite has a uk ip address so doesn't need a vpn either so filmon is no problem but i use a sky box because i like to watch the programs on my tv not on my laptop.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
I have to go with Jaws on this one, if you are on a site and try to watch internet television then you are very anti-social as it stops anyone else from doing simple things like answering emails Please think before you do it

Deleted User
as said there isnt many channels from my sky package that i cant get here in spain. my internet via satelite has a uk ip address so doesn't need a vpn either so filmon is no problem but i use a sky box because i like to watch the programs on my tv not on my laptop.

HDMI cable?

Deleted User
I have to go with Jaws on this one, if you are on a site and try to watch internet television then you are very anti-social as it stops anyone else from doing simple things like answering emails Please think before you do it

Usually a waste of time on site wifi anyway. Now that I have found out how, I am using filmon to download the occasional programme that is worth watching and judging from the amount of time this takes I do not think that I am stealing anyone's bandwidth.

As far as Sky and most stuff on the TV, I think Pink Floyd had things weighed up 35 years ago with " I've got 13 channels of s**t on the TV to choose from" of course things have improved since then.............now got thousands of 'em!!:)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We stay on arena blanca in Benidorm occasionally. One thing I learnt first visit was that spanish tv broadcasts some UK TV on the analogue channel....so you need a digital/analogue tv?

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Wow Satellite BB with an automatic dish sounds very cool...Just dialling up Santa...

You will have had to be very very very good girl they cost around £5,000 plus monthly subsciptio, there is a cheaper set up version ie dish aand tripod seamed the better option. Pete

Ps I have looked at them and couldn,t let myself spend that much for a bit of TV

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
We have several Dutch friends and they pay 84 Euros a year for a card called "Digi NL" (I think thats it ) and that gives them all their home channels wherever they are in Europe..
Don't know how that works, but would like to know if we can buy into it.. I will ask..

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
In the Algarve, with an Oyster, I got Sky News and a few shopping channels.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We stay on arena blanca in Benidorm occasionally. One thing I learnt first visit was that spanish tv broadcasts some UK TV on the analogue channel....so you need a digital/analogue tv?

News to me ? When they changed to digital that was it. The Moroccans buy any old tv's as that's the only place with analogue now.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The week I was leaving I mentioned to reception that I couldn't get BBC1 (on pitch connection) they said have you tried analoge.....low and behold a good few UK stations on there.
you can still get digital TVs with analogue tuners?
Not been there since autumn 2013 so dont know if situation has changed

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
So - if I understand correctly - an 85cm roof mounted dish and sky box with sky subscription will still work down in spain (Beni) ???

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
So - if I understand correctly - an 85cm roof mounted dish and sky box with sky subscription will still work down in spain (Beni) ???
Yes it will get all of your subscription channels, but it will not get the normal BBC, ITV,CH5 etc you will loose them in the South of France.:( (C4 channels can be manually tuned on the Sky Box).
Cheers

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
You will have had to be very very very good girl they cost around £5,000 plus monthly subsciptio, there is a cheaper set up version ie dish aand tripod seamed the better option. Pete

Ps I have looked at them and couldn,t let myself spend that much for a bit of TV
i built my own internet setup onto my existing tv only oyster dish for only a few quid , and pay £24.99 a month for 5 gb data and 10 mb download speed. i have also made a floor standing dish on a tripod too that does internet and tv at the same time for when i'm on a campsite and its too windy to put the oyster up.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
i built my own internet setup onto my existing tv only oyster dish for only a few quid , and pay £24.99 a month for 5 gb data and 10 mb download speed. i have also made a floor standing dish on a tripod too that does internet and tv at the same time for when i'm on a campsite and its too windy to put the oyster up.
How did you convert the LNB,s etc ? very interested to know the details. :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The week I was leaving I mentioned to reception that I couldn't get BBC1 (on pitch connection) they said have you tried analoge.....low and behold a good few UK stations on there.
you can still get digital TVs with analogue tuners?
Not been there since autumn 2013 so dont know if situation has changed

We have certainly not got any analogue channels down here.
& with a 1,2m dish we haven't got any digital fta ones either ! (n):cry:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........

That would be interesting to know how if you don't mind explaining please.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We have certainly not got any analogue channels down here.
& with a 1,2m dish we haven't got any digital fta ones either ! (n):cry:

A lot of sites receive the digital signals and then convert them to analogue for site distribution via the pitch posts :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back