TV IN SPAIN AGAIN SORRY!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by colyboy, Nov 15, 2014.

1. colyboy

colyboy Funster

I know there has been loads of talk about it, if or if not you can receive TV in Spain.

We have a 85cm Oyster sat set up. What is the up to date situation re receiving TV in Spain? If we are unable to receive TV via our Oyster is there any other way? We very rarely stay on sites so will not have wifi very often. Any suggestions please.

colyboy

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Most of the time when we 'run out' of Sky we simply use the antenna and the tv on digital.
    There is an awful lot of english speaking programmes in the evenings but you have to go through them all to find them ( and do it lots of times every evening and make a note of what is on where (y)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

You might be able to get the Irish channel. "Pick TV"

4. mentaliss

mentaliss

Whilst in Bennicasim (Spain) for 7 weeks we observed many Brits using Sky boxes with RENTED 1.5 mtr SAT' dishes, only two campers were able to get UK TV with 85cm dishes but both said the reception kept breaking up... so I think the point of this post is forget those expensive roof all singing and dancing Sat' Dishes just rent the right size and away you go:):):)

• Like Like x 1
  5. seanoo

seanoo Funster

the way i do it is i have internet through my oyster that is unlimited between 11pm and 7 am . i have a sky subscription and get most of these channels through the dish normally. to get the other 5 main uk channels i use a sky "on demand " box and just download the programs overnight that i want to watch with catchup tv . it means i am a day behind but i am not worried about that. if you are on a campsite with wifi you can do the same and download at night instead of streaming and not hog all the bandwidth.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi, don't think you will have much luck with your 85cm dish, you might get true movies and pick things like that.
    We have a 1.4m dish on the Costa blanca, but I understand further north or south its not large enough.:eek:
    But...............while on the site in Cabanas de Tavira Portugal, a Dutch man was selling an 80cm dish and a box or take you box away and fiddle with it and you get BBC 1 and 2. ITV and Channel 4 . :D Bob.

7. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Sorry.. what's an oyster...

And in my experience I can't get UK tv channels on the web when I'm abroad as they all say I'm not in the UK.. what's the trick...

8. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

An Oyster is an automated self seeking sat dish :)

there are ways around the not in the UK thing by using proxy servers.. just google it :)

However, just using a sites wifi to watch telly is pretty anti-social and if other around you find out you aint gonna be popular !!

• Like Like x 2
  9. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Use a VPN such as Zenmate for Google chrome browser,free, lots of others about some free and others cost, some browser specific and some not.
    Or use filmon, if you register,free, you can download lots of TV but on the usual site wifi can be slow but better than nothing.

10. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Wow Satellite BB with an automatic dish sounds very cool... Just dialling up Santa...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn Funster

If you subscribe to SKY there are still many channels receivable on an 85cm dish even in Spain as many are transmitted on the Pan European Beam has a far wider footprint

12. seanoo

seanoo Funster

as said there isnt many channels from my sky package that i cant get here in spain. my internet via satelite has a uk ip address so doesn't need a vpn either so filmon is no problem but i use a sky box because i like to watch the programs on my tv not on my laptop.

• Like Like x 1
  13. laneside

laneside Funster

I have to go with Jaws on this one, if you are on a site and try to watch internet television then you are very anti-social as it stops anyone else from doing simple things like answering emails Please think before you do it

• Like Like x 1
  14. matamoros

matamoros Funster

HDMI cable?

15. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Usually a waste of time on site wifi anyway. Now that I have found out how, I am using filmon to download the occasional programme that is worth watching and judging from the amount of time this takes I do not think that I am stealing anyone's bandwidth.

As far as Sky and most stuff on the TV, I think Pink Floyd had things weighed up 35 years ago with " I've got 13 channels of s**t on the TV to choose from" of course things have improved since then.............now got thousands of 'em!!:)

16. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

We stay on arena blanca in Benidorm occasionally. One thing I learnt first visit was that spanish tv broadcasts some UK TV on the analogue channel....so you need a digital/analogue tv?

17. peter marshall

peter marshall

You will have had to be very very very good girl they cost around £5,000 plus monthly subsciptio, there is a cheaper set up version ie dish aand tripod seamed the better option. Pete

Ps I have looked at them and couldn,t let myself spend that much for a bit of TV

18. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

We have several Dutch friends and they pay 84 Euros a year for a card called "Digi NL" (I think thats it ) and that gives them all their home channels wherever they are in Europe..
    Don't know how that works, but would like to know if we can buy into it.. I will ask..

19. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

In the Algarve, with an Oyster, I got Sky News and a few shopping channels.

20. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

News to me ? When they changed to digital that was it. The Moroccans buy any old tv's as that's the only place with analogue now.