tv in france

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by gromit, Apr 6, 2014.

1. gromit

gromit Read Only Funster

hello can someone help me what do I need to do /buy to get I tv picture in france I have a status 530 Ariel on motorhome which gives excellent picture in uk but cant get one at all in france ?

2. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

The hardware you have should work ok to pick up local TV stations - have you retuned your TV?

3. gromit

gromit Read Only Funster

hello yes we tried retuning but still nothing my signal finder says we have a good signal

4. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Assuming that it is actually a digital tv, you may need to set your re-tuning options to "France" if that is part of your tuning menu.

5. gromit

gromit Read Only Funster

I will try that to see if that works if that fails any other ideas ?

6. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Ours picked up local stations OK but, being in French, we didn't find it helped much. Also travelling from place to place in UK would occasionally benefit from retuning the TV for local recption.

Wyn

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  7. Phill D

Phill D

you wont get any UK TV with that ariel anywhere other than in UK. you should be able to tune to local TV stations.

if you want UK TV it will be via internet or Satellite dish.

8. gromit

gromit Read Only Funster

ok thank you whats my cheapest option ?

9. Phill D

Phill D

a stand alone tripod and sat dish, plus your sky box from home ( assuming 1. you have one! 2. you are on Elec hook up, but 12 v boxes are available )

the further south you go the bigger the dish you will need.

so something like this is prob the cheapest option, http://www.systemsat.co.uk/caravan-satellite/Maxview54cmKit.html?gclid=CLWU8NGSzL0CFdShtAodg2kAuQ

but the larger dish would be better if you have space to carry it.

10. Phill D

Phill D

PS; there are many many more options available dependant on what you want, how far south you are going and HOW MUCH CASH you are willing to part with.

11. B-well

B-well Funster

[HI]ok thank you whats my cheapest option ?[/HI]

Scrabble set:Rofl1:

12. gromit

gromit Read Only Funster

???

13. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

watching english language tv abroad recently got far more difficult when the satellites used to broadcast it were changed. now it has become difficult anywhere from mid france southwards. a dish and tripod with a sky box is still a good option, but the further south you go the bigger the dish needed to pull in what is basically a weaker signal. it is more complicated really but this basic explanation works for most to understand

if you can get internet access there are a few web based options that will allow you to watch the basic soaps etc and a few films. however without a pretty reliable and fast connection they are unreliable. plus if youre on a campsite using their broadband then you are sharing bandwidth with other campers trying to do the same. get 2 or 3 people streaming tv over the same connection and it crawls to a halt

it really is a no 1 answer suits all situation, as it depends on where you want to pick up tv and what you want to watch. its certainly not worth buying a satellite dome for the roof of a van if you want to pick up uk tv in southern france, spain or other similar places

the cheapest way is to get hold of a decent sized dish and tripod and use a sky box and card (you dont need a contract as freesat cards can be used)

14. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Something like this will get you UK TV stations as far south as central France - possibly a bit further south than that, and east into the start of Germany. Additionally, you will need either a TV with a built-in satellite decoder (such as an Avtex for about £300 or a bit less) or a separate decoder box (£75 - £150 ish) to work with your existing TV. I assume your present TV does not have a satellite decoder built in - if it does, your part way there.
    http://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/products/view/satellite-tv/manual-satellite-dishes/maxb2566-kit

15. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member