Free Member
Mar 22, 2010
Forest of Dean, Glos
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
New end of March 2010
Hi everyone, Just discovered some information that I was given regarding my TV aerial but just put right by the manufacturers.

I have a dish like aerial that is smaller at the front and gradually gets bigger towards the back. I was told that when travelling I must fully retract the aerial, which is correct. I was also told that i must ensure the smaller front of the aerial must be facing forward. This is incorrect the large back of the aerial must be facing forward as apparemently it works similar to a cycle helmet. Marquis gave me this incorrect information and just in case they have done the same to all you good motorhomers out there I thought I should correct their error.

Keep Smiling ::bigsmile:

Nannyjan

IrasciBill

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 500
Exp
Since 2009 (after many years camping)
TV Aerial

Our MH has one of these aerials and there is a sticker beside the retractable mast which says the front must face the direction of travel (as you were initially told). Since the MH is not a commercially built vehicle, I assume the sticker was supplied with the aerial and was put there by the installer. Maybe the makers have changed their minds. In any case, I dont think that aerodynamic turbulence is going to be a problem for us at the speed which we travel - even downhill with a tail-wind! :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DiscoDave

Free Member
Apr 25, 2010
The north
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
properly 4 years, playing at it for ages
A few weeks back I went with some friends to collect their their first motorhome, durin the handover the importance of stowing the aerial in the correct fashion was brought up by the hand over man.

poor fella couldn't understand why we fell about the place with laughter when he told us that if the aerial was not stowed properly then the van would not be aero dynamic!:ROFLMAO:

This is a 5 berth with overcab we are talking about here not a performance sports car::bigsmile:

OP
OP
N

nannyjan

Free Member
Mar 22, 2010
Forest of Dean, Glos
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
New end of March 2010
TV Aeial

A few weeks back I went with some friends to collect their their first motorhome, durin the handover the importance of stowing the aerial in the correct fashion was brought up by the hand over man.

poor fella couldn't understand why we fell about the place with laughter when he told us that if the aerial was not stowed properly then the van would not be aero dynamic!:ROFLMAO:

This is a 5 berth with overcab we are talking about here not a performance sports car::bigsmile:

My point is is that they are misinforming motorhomers, I have just spoken to Marquis and they just laughed and said they did not believe me. The manufacturers are now telephoning them as several aerials have been returned with hairline cracks and they assume that is from being in the wrong position when driving along and are most concerned. I did not think that it would affect the petrol consumption just didnt want you to have damage to your aerials from being misinformed. Nannyjan

4b2

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
3 Years
By the description, I presume you mean one like the Status 530.

My thinking is that the aeriel should be stowed with the wider leading edge facing forward. The narrower "end" is further away from the mounting point (pole) than the wider "end" so, if the narrow end was pointing forward whilst the vehicle was travelling (forward), there would be a larger surface area for the wind to get under causing a lifting effect, which could, in theory damage the aeriel/mounting.

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
Hi as i am a ex-Caravan fitter i will try and explain as simple as poss. LOL!

Its the same as a flag, if the pole section is on the large end then the small end must face the rear. Or as the wind hits it the arieal will swing around.

Always have the end that is most floating about with no support face to the rear.

Doddy999

Free Member
May 3, 2010
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8/5/2010
Or you'll take off like Webber yesterday, will we see GP cars racing in reverse:RollEyes:

Thanks for the info though:thumb:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
why is it that you are told to face the red spot on the pole to the front .
been caping for the past 30 years just think of all the money i would have saved if i had known this :Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as 4b2 said, the mounting pole is at the wide end.......and the longest end (narrow) will always try to act in a weather-vane fashion.

point the narrow end to the front and there will be wind forces trying to spin it round even when its secured.

law of physics :thumb:

IrasciBill

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 500
Exp
Since 2009 (after many years camping)
I Stand Corrected !!!

I was told that when travelling I must fully retract the aerial, which is correct. I was also told that i must ensure the smaller front of the aerial must be facing forward. This is incorrect the large back of the aerial must be facing forward

Keep Smiling ::bigsmile:

Nannyjan

there is a sticker beside the retractable mast which says the front must face the direction of travel :roflmto:

why is it that you are told to face the red spot on the pole to the front .
:Doh:

It's not often that I'm wrong :ROFLMAO: but I would appear to be slightly off mark this time !!! :Angry::Angry::Angry:
Have just gone out and looked at the sticker in the van and what it actually says is "When travelling the antenna must be set to the horizontal position, fully retracted and locked in position. -- Red spot denotes front of antenna."
What it doesn't say (and what I and many others had assumed) is that the front of the antenna should point to the front of the van.
The instructions for the Status 530 clearly state that "When travelling, adjust the antenna so that it points to the rear of the vehicle to reduce the possibility of damage when travelling"
So there you have it - mark the calendar - I WAS WRONG.
Thank you all for pointing that out to me (and the rest of this forum).
Seriously though, nannyjan, thank you for taking the time to bring this to everyone's attention.
Can I sit down now, please?

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nannyjan

Free Member
Mar 22, 2010
Forest of Dean, Glos
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
New end of March 2010
It's not often that I'm wrong :ROFLMAO: but I would appear to be slightly off mark this time !!! :Angry::Angry::Angry:
Have just gone out and looked at the sticker in the van and what it actually says is "When travelling the antenna must be set to the horizontal position, fully retracted and locked in position. -- Red spot denotes front of antenna."
What it doesn't say (and what I and many others had assumed) is that the front of the antenna should point to the front of the van.
The instructions for the Status 530 clearly state that "When travelling, adjust the antenna so that it points to the rear of the vehicle to reduce the possibility of damage when travelling"
So there you have it - mark the calendar - I WAS WRONG.
Thank you all for pointing that out to me (and the rest of this forum).
Seriously though, nannyjan, thank you for taking the time to bring this to everyone's attention.
Can I sit down now, please?

Yes my tv aerial is a Status 530 and I Just wanted to help everyone and even now Marquis motorhomes will not accept what the instructions tell them and have spoken to the manufacturers who confirm what I have said yet they will not accept and will continue to tell all new customers the wrong information. So annoying but because they have thought the small part of the aerial should point forward for so many years I suppose they feel that they will look stupid if they now change their tune in my opinion they look more stupid for not admitting their error and failing to put it right. Keep smiling ::bigsmile: Nannyjan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back