Turning off Fiat daytime running lights (1 Viewer)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laneside Link Removed
This is a long shot and no logically reason why it should work but with my Fiat I can go into menu and switch daylight running lights on and off. Pure illogic but I would try to see if it made a difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanders Link Removed
Thanks to you all.

Will look in the 'menu' tomorrow although I don't remember seeing that option on our MH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caller Link Removed
According to my manual, I should be able to do that too. But like meanders, I can't find it in the menu in the van. At the risk of pirating this thread, any hints on how to turn off the daylight running lights in an X250 would be gratefully received.

<snip>

Ref the daytime lights on/off switching... It is in the menu but it does not show if you have the engine running.. It confused me at first.. Try with ignition key in and turned but engine not started...
Something like that anyway....
Thanks for that tip. I'll have a go tomorrow. Now I think about it, I'm pretty sure the engine was running when I looked for it - that's why I wanted to turn them off, because the engine was running but I wasn't going anywhere.

Extracted from this thread so as not to hijack it any further.
Link Removed

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
I guess there are difference with many of the Fiats, mine is a 2012 130 multijet and there is a menu button at the right side of the steering wheel that has several functions one of which is turning off the day running lights If yours has this and you still have a problem shout up and I will go in to more detail.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
invariably LED's and current drain will be miniscule so why turn them off.

where does the law stand on turning them off as they are now a compulsory fitment on new vehicles.

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
invariably LED's and current drain will be miniscule so why turn them off.

where does the law stand on turning them off as they are now a compulsory fitment on new vehicles.

Some countries require daytime running lights outside of built up areas. I was pulled over in Italy and got off with a warning.

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
I guess there are difference with many of the Fiats, mine is a 2012 130 multijet and there is a menu button at the right side of the steering wheel that has several functions one of which is turning off the day running lights If yours has this and you still have a problem shout up and I will go in to more detail.
Thanks. That seems to be the method, but I still can't get it to come up. Mine's a 2013 150 multijet, so I would expect the same.

I've followed earlier advice & tried with the ignition on, but engine stopped. That does give more options than with the engine running, but nothing about daytime lights.

Where the manual talks about these lights, it does say they can be turned off in that menu. But where the manual describes the functions under that menu, there is no mention of that option. All very strange.

To those asking why I would want to turn them off - there are times when I need to run the engine, but I'm not actually driving anywhere. Not recommended practice, I know, but necessary on occasion. Further complicated by being parked under streetlights facing the wrong way on the road - don't ask, the answer's long-winded & boring. In that instance, having the daylight running lights on is counter-productive & sends all the wrong signals.

I don't want to turn them off permanently, only temporarily.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Too late now but I will try mine tomorrow and let you know what happens-----watch this space

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Daytime running is law in much of europe - which is why cars that have the technology are having them added on a standard equipment.

The UK does not have it as a law as yet - just relies on common sense in low light conditions. Surprised people don't use them in the day, as they need to use head lights, fogs and so on to driver, even on a clear night!

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
I assume you are a big lad and know if you want em on or off so assuming your Fiat is the same as mine here goes;

I have a MODE button and an up and down arrow

Switch ignition on (no need to start engine)

Press mode button possibly twice until read out says MENU

Press down arrow about 12 times until read out says DAYTIME LIGHTS

Change from on to off with either mode button or one of the arrows

When off switch ignition off as this is the easiest way to exit menu

Job done------I think

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Hmmm.

Well it looks as if between 2012 & 2013 someone has decided that none of us are big boys any more & it's been removed from the menu. Mine does exactly as you describe, except the DAYTIME LIGHTS option never appears.

Very annoying. I'm perfectly happy to have them on when I'm driving down the public highway & for 'on' to be the default setting, but it would be nice to be able to turn them off when that doesn't apply.

Thank you for your efforts. I'll do some more investigating & report back if I discover anything further.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
You certainly are a helpful bunch with plenty of advice.

My daytime lights are not on and I would like them to be on

My newly acquired second hand 2013 MH has the 'Mode' button but the 'Daytime Lights' prompt does not appear anywhere on the menu.

When I turn the lights switch both side and dip beam lights come on but I can't have just the sidelights on.

Any ideas on how I get them to work?

:france::france::france:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Sorry you will have to live with that as just sidelights has never been an option as far as I know

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
You certainly are a helpful bunch with plenty of advice.

My daytime lights are not on and I would like them to be on

My newly acquired second hand 2013 MH has the 'Mode' button but the 'Daytime Lights' prompt does not appear anywhere on the menu.

When I turn the lights switch both side and dip beam lights come on but I can't have just the sidelights on.

Any ideas on how I get them to work?

:france::france::france:
Two separate questions there.
1. This may sound a silly question, but are you sure you have daytime running lights fitted? They are an option on the 2013 model year. They are a separate string of 5 small LED lights well below the main light cluster - down at bumper level.

2. Sidelights. You will have what are now called Parking Lights, which are only intended to be used when stationary.
i) turn the lights off
ii) turn the engine off
iii) turn the lights back on

The Parking Lights now come on instead of the headlights. You can't drive with just the Parking Lights on. The upside of this is that Parking Lights these days are usually lower power than sidelights would have been, so you can park for longer with your lights on before getting a flat battery.

If you do have Daytime Running lights fitted & they don't come on, then it looks like you & I have the same problem with our 'Mode' button menu, it's just that yours is stuck with the opposite setting.

J50JWR

Free Member
Apr 4, 2014
Lowestoft
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 1999
Hi there, an interesting thread. I was surprised to find that DRLs were an option only on my recently ordered Pilote van. They were part of an option pack so I'm getting them. Having read the AA link, it explains the rational for their introduction, but doesn't seem to state that the use of them replaces the need in some European states to drive only on head lights. Has anyone seen anything that states this is or is not the case.

Regards John

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Hi. I've got a 2014 model year x250 (bought Oct 2013). My DRL's are reduced output dipped headlights as I didn't go for the option which has the led's. Control is as already mentioned on the right of the steering column under Daytime Lights in the menu.

Last edited:

J50JWR

Free Member
Apr 4, 2014
Lowestoft
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 1999
Thanks Ninovan. That explains the option query, you get the dim dip as standard, or the option LEDs if the convertor adds it to their convertion.
I appear to found an document about the legality of using LEDs instead of daytime headlights in some European States. It apparently depended on location of LEDs. If they're too low they are not a satisfactory fitting. I think mine will fall into this category. For reference a query (and a sort of answer) was in this months MMM

Regards John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back