turky brest up or down

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by Wildbill, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

ok we are having moor for diner than we thought so we are changing the menu were having slow grown free range turkey
    should I cook it Brest down or up
    bill

• Like Like x 1
  2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Up, never seen them cooked any other way. x:-)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren Funster

I cook mine breast up but I steam it the Phil Vickery from this morning way rather than roast to keep it moist. I've done it this way for the last three years and it's the best taste.

• Like Like x 1
  4. parknride

parknride Funster

Down, all juices run onto the breast keeping it moist. Then up for last 20 mins or so. Sauagemeat stuffing (add chopped chestnuts or whever if you wish) pushed under the skin at neck end also helps keeps it moist. Merry Xmas & enjoy :xThumb:

• Like Like x 8
  5. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Best way is to cook for half the time breast down, then turn over and cook breast up. Seems to cook more evenly that way
    We cook ours on sliced onion, then use a hand blender to mix them into the juices, for extra tasty gravy

• Like Like x 5
  6. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

• Like Like x 1
  7. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Another vote for turning the Turkey over, used this method for years. :xThumb:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

We always cook ours breast down , keeps it moist.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  10. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Try this, from a man who knows! (Cook the stuffing separately to ensure thorough cooking by allowing threat to penetrate the bird)

THE PERFECT CHRISTMAS ROAST TURKEY

My traditional Christmas Turkey recipe will impress friends and family this year. Try to buy the best organic / free range bird you can get hold of. Visit your trusted butcher well in advance to place your order. The quality of your bird will determine the success of this experience! If however you are unable to use a fresh turkey, ensure that your frozen turkey is thoroughly defrosted.

The total cooking time for this dish is 3hrs, this is split between 1.5hrs cooking in the oven and the remaining 1.5hrs resting! Do not be fooled into thinking that the Turkey only cooks in the oven; by leaving the Turkey to rest, you allow the residual heat to penetrate right to the core. Believe me, it has been tried, tested and tried again.

Cooking time: 3hrs (1.5hrs in the oven, 1.5hrs resting).

Great accompaniment: Cranberry sauce.

Special equipment: Roaster and rack.

Ingredients Required

5kgBronze turkey, free range / organic, wishbone remove, thawed to 16’c (*1)

1Turkey neck, chopped into 3cm pieces

200gTurkey wings, chopped into 3cm pieces

20mlRapeseed oil

40gButter, unsalted, room temperature

2 pinchesSea salt

2 pinchesWhite pepper, freshly ground

200mlWater

1 tspArrowroot, diluted in 15ml cold water

Cooking Method

Planning ahead

Ask the butcher to prepare it for you, to remove and chop up the wings and neck into 2cm pieces and to remove the wish bone (this makes the turkey easier to carve).

Cooking the turkey

Preheat the oven to 220°C.

Place a large roasting tray on the stove over a medium heat. Add the rapeseed oil followed by the wings and chopped neck and roast for 10 minutes, turning them every 2 minutes to ensure an even colour. Meanwhile, in a small bowl with the back of a dessert spoon, soften the butter with the salt and pepper. Using a pastry brush, cover the turkey with half of the soft seasoned butter. In the last 2 minutes of roasting the wings and neck, add the remaining butter to the tray. Place the turkey on top of the roasted bones and place into the preheated oven for 30 mins.

After this initial roasting time, baste the turkey all over, reduce the oven temperature to 150°C, add the water and continue to cook for an hour basting every 20 minutes with the cooking juices to impart maximum flavor and even caramelisation to your Turkey. At the end of the cooking time, test by inserting a skewer or roasting fork into the thickest part of the thigh of the turkey; if the liquid that runs out is transparent and not bloody, the turkey is cooked (*2). You can alternatively use a temperature probe the thigh meat should reach just above 70°C and the breast meat will be around 63°C.

Remove the turkey from the oven, place onto a large tray or carving board to rest for a minimum of 30 minutes and up to 1.5 hours (*3). Reserve in a warm place until needed. This should give you ample time to cook your roast potatoes and other accompanying vegetables as you now have a free oven space

Finishing the roasting juices

Place the baking tray on the hob on a medium heat, bring to the boil and stir the bottom of the tray to dissolve the caramelised roasting juices. Taste and adjust the seasoning if required. Remember to save and add the resting juices from the turkey.

Stir the diluted arrowroot to slightly thicken the jus as it is simmering.

Strain through a fine sieve into a warm sauce boat.

Cooking chart (the resting period was done uncovered)

Probed intervals

Breast Temp

Thigh temp

Straight from the oven

63°C

77°C

After 20mins resting

67°C

80°C

After 40 mins resting

64°C

67°C

After 1 hour resting

60°C

63°C

* As all domestic ovens vary, please ensure you use a probe to check the temperature of your Turkey before serving. This is to make sure that your Turkey is fully cooked through.

- See more at: http://www.raymondblanc.com/recipes/the-perfect-christmas-roast-turkey/#.dpuf

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

right I have managed to catch the little bugger hope the ovens big enough
    bill

• Like Like x 4
  12. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Having a few dwinks with Nigella tonight..... will be sure to ask on your behalf:giggle:

• Like Like x 3
  13. Fenman

Fenman Funster

As iandsm has posted Raymond Blanc's method which is just how I do mine but he emphasises how important the resting time is.
    Some years I have cooked the bird and taken it to the house we are eating in and covered it thoroughly with foil and transported in one of those large white polystyrene boxes that fishmongers and butchers use.
    Done the same with large rib of beef too and he's spot on.
    The moisture creeps back to the whole bird.
    The other tip he gives which makes carving a whole lot easier is removing the wishbone before cooking.

• Like Like x 4
  14. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Bill, I cook mine breast down, pre heat the oven to 230c, wrap the turkey in foil, cook for about 30 mins, then turn down to 190c for 3 hours ( my bird is about 5k ) about 30 mins from the end turn bird over remove foil to brown the turkey then remove and let rest for an hour then enjoy. Hope your Christmas goes well. :xsurprised:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wombles

Wombles Funster

We always cook poultry breast down then turn over to brown - duck for us this year. Agree that resting any meat seems to improve the texture. Stuffing with fat like sausage meat really helps make lean meat more moist but our duck stuffing won't need it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

stuffing and breasts ... in one thread.. :xsurprised:

must be Christmas time :xsmile:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

I do ours on rack covered in foil in water bath....breast nice and juicy. Lemon, onion, herbs in water

18. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

the bird is now plucked ready for the oven breast down I think so looking forward to having this Christmas day and then duck boxing day bill

• Like Like x 1
  19. Neckender

Neckender Funster

Why what's flying over Bill.
    John.

20. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

well there is one thing we will have another one of them the best turkey we have ever had just a tad big for just six folks well for actually as we had one wont eat it and a vegetarian
    but it was lovely
    bill