Turbo lag

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Flyingscotsman2, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

Just got back from Spain I have a bit of turbo lag I have a 2.2 Peugeot boxer it's on a 12 plate 24500 miles any one else had this

2. lee52

lee52 Funster

when its on boost does it feel like its pulling as it should or is it down on power as well

3. ludo

ludo Funster Life Member

Is the engine management light on? Could have gone into limp mode.

4. lee52

lee52 Funster

could be a few things egr valve, boost leak, if it has a vnt turbo could be the vanes sticking etc.. list goes on first thing I would do is plug it in and see if theres any error codes nd read the boost pressures etc...

5. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

Turbo

Wen in 3rd gear there's nothing no pull

6. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Turbo lag is a term to describe the delay in torque production from an engine while the turbo "spools up" or gets up to speed, bigger turbos have more inertia so take longer to spool up giving more lag. The effect of turbo lag is you put your foot down and until the turbo has spooled up the performance is sluggish, once ithas spooled up you get a fairly sudden increase in torque. The majority of turbo diesels will spool up around 1800-2000rpm. What exactly are you rexperiencing?

D.

7. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

Turbo

No power wen I put foot down then I have to drop a gear

8. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Then "turbo lag" is not the problem, lack of boost is. Check all the pipes are in their proper places for starters, they have been known to come adrift. Other than that I'd suggest you take it to a garage.

D.

9. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I had a similar situation with ours (although it's based on a Merc 316 with 5 speed auto box). The problem had occurred a few times over a couple of years then corrected itself but finally, it failed and there was just no grunt. I went to the nearest truck dealership and they quickly diagnosed a failed control unit that activates the turbo bypass gate. When the foot went down, the control unit did not register the need for additional boost and left the gate open (at least I think that's how the technician described it).
    Just to warn you, he said "if it's not the control unit that's failed, then the rotor has gone and that's a lot more expensive".

10. geo glasgow

geo glasgow Read Only Funster

thats a good answer

check while the Engine is running any unusual air intake or outward air sounds all jubilee clips or similer are inplace, is there oil showing around the turbo area ? if all fails get a diagnostic of the engine management
    , if its the turbo i got mr turbo of shawlands glasgow to recon my 4x4 turbo incl vat was £180 now runs like new, but thats the future get it checked first, it may be the fuel or engine management good luck,

11. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

check all hoses for splits and check waste gate isnt stuck

• Like Like x 1
  12. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We've had problems on 2 different vans
    1. The first was what is commonly referred to as 'sleepy van syndrome' (ie when you haven't used it much, or not for a period of time), when the waste gate valve can stick shut and the engine then gets back pressure (or something like that) so when you try to accelerate to prevent engine damage it 'refuses' to increase the speed.
    2. The other problem was a turbo pipe which in our case came lose just as we were overtaking! :Eeek: We lost power but fortunately we were able to pull back in behind the car we were passing at the time and stopped, we found that the pipe was lose so once we'd fixed it, we had no further problems.