Turbo kit for Fiat Ducato 1.3 2.5 Diesel swift kontiki (1 Viewer)

JAMESuk

Free Member
Oct 25, 2009
Surrey
Funster No
Exp
There used to be a company that used to fit turbo kits to motorhomes but I belive they have gone bust. Does anyone know if there is anyone else that offers these services?

Failing that does anyone know wether a 2nd generation 2.5tdi fiat ducato engine will fit in a 1991 fiat ducato?

I was also wondering wether the 640/6 swift kontiki habitation area can be removed off a fiat ducato and placed onto a newer van?

If anyone has any info on this I would be very gratefull.

James

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

Would not know how to go about transplanting a body to another base but years ago read an article on it being done. The chap worked in a coach works and got permission to use the works with a few mates while it was closed for annual holiday. Sorry can't be of any further help, but shows it can be done, if you have the money or facilities.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
fitting an aftermarket turbo can and possibly will damage your engine.

the crankshaft main and bigend bearings arent usually up to the extra power produced by a turbo and will probably fail earlier than they normally would.

as for fitting a later engine.....i would think the engine, gearbox and driveshafts would all need changing and a miriad of other componants as well......engine mounts, exhaust etc.

if you look underneath you will see the floor is simply coachbolted to the chassis and outriggers but when it was built it was only the floor attached then all the sides and roof etc were built onto the floor.

i reckon you would need some kind of lifting gear to lift the body true and square so as not to distort it and cause damage to joints etc.
then theres the problem of the overcab bulge.

in my mind it isnt worth it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JAMESuk

Free Member
Oct 25, 2009
Surrey
Funster No
Exp
If I was to purchase a 1998 ducato van, then i'd hope that I could use alot of the parts from that, but then I may aswell look at moving the habitation unit from the old van to the new.

For now i'll just have to look forward to downhills :thumb: Although getting up them is the pits :Sad:

I'm not used to people in mobility and golf buggys overtaking me though :cry:

If only subaru did a motorhome :Smile:

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
after market turbo

Hi I think the firm you are thinking about was T B TURBO`S of Lancaster ,it`s a shame because they used to do an excellant job . You could try getting in touch with a firm in Hartlepool i think they are called Turbo active, they may be able to help or advise you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back