LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
On our latest trip, just home on Monday, we picked up a noisy turbo, does anyone know where I can get this repaired, preferably in Essex?

I was given the name of Aceturbo but on speaking to them today they don't have one this old in stock, 1991 2.5 TD 290 Panorama.

He says if I take the turbo to him he can repair it, I can twirl a spanner quite well but know nothing about turbos, I know it is somewhere near the manifold but does anyone know how to do this, is it a big job.

Ant help greatly appreciated.

Hymie.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It should be the first thing you find coming down the exhaust manifold from the head, as well as the exhaust connections (which could well have rusted bolts) there will be air in and air out together with oil connection and return, the only challenge should be the exhaust side bolts.

How easy the job will depend on access, when you get it off you might find that it is marked with manufacturers details and a fairly standard unit from the good old days.

You say the turbo is "noisy" but has the performance gone off at all.

Martin

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
You say noisy - describe noisy - is it a whistle or a grumble - whistle indicates an air leak - grumble indicates a bearing failing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
When you change or repair a turbo be sure to also renew the oil supply and return pipe work. Turbo problems are frequently caused by carbon build up in the oil system restricting the oil flow and a new turbo will soon fail with an old oil system.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
When you change or repair a turbo be sure to also renew the oil supply and return pipe work. Turbo problems are frequently caused by carbon build up in the oil system restricting the oil flow and a new turbo will soon fail with an old oil system.
I wouldn't have thought that was required, all the excess heat and any carbon build up will be within the turbo oil galleries and sorted by the repair rebuild.

Martin

OP
OP
Hymie

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Thanks for the replies, it's a loud grumbling whine, kicks in at about 15mph, had a sweet spot around 55mph but that has gone now, the noise Is louder the faster you go, horrific if you lift off around 60.

It stopped working for a while as we left Neufchâtel but kicked in around 5okph and has dipped in and out since then.

If it fails completely does the engine still work as a normally aspirated engine or is it kaput?

TIA.

Hymie.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well it certainly sounds like its poorly, Does the engine still work? I guess the answer is yes but not very well, it sounds like it could indeed be bearings, being a 91 motor it might not have too much in the way of electronics so will just struggle on, could be a bit smokey though.

As a quick check if you can get at it you could just pull off one of the air pipe that goes to the centre of the turbo and get your fingers inside and see how it spins, it should turn really easy and run on for a while if you can give it a flick NOT WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING THOUGH.

Martin

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Sounds like bearing failure ..
I believe it's a rare occurrence but if turbo failure cause's the oil seals to fail then it's possible for the engine to keep running.
Saw that happen once and at the time didn't know what was happening ,but was later told it was turbo failure.
Quite frightening to see..
Andy.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Sounds like bearing failure ..
I believe it's a rare occurrence but if turbo failure cause's the oil seals to fail then it's possible for the engine to keep running.
Saw that happen once and at the time didn't know what was happening ,but was later told it was turbo failure.
Quite frightening to see..
Andy.
Smokes a bit as well(y)

Friend of hours arrived at Peterborough show a couple of years ago and van was smoking, I said to him did you switch it off at the gate when you checked in? "Yes" he said so I asked did it stop straight a way? He thought for a while and then said "actually no it ran on for a while" as you say Andy they don't always stop quite so easily, somebody else I know his did the same in the Tyne Tunnel but he just got out the other side and then stalled it in gear to stop it going bang.

Martin

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Smokes a bit as well
Haha.. that's putting it mildly... the one I saw take off , I initially thought was on fire.. then heard the engine revving.
Turbos are fairly reliable I think but if I was getting noise from one I don't think I'd be running it for long broke getting it seen to...
Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back