Turbo failing... Or Not... (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I was starting to hear a whistling from my Turbo and thought I was heading towards another expensive repair....

After my last shopping trip I started the engine and I was parked up against and along a tall wall that acted like an echo chamber and noticed with my window down that the engine sounded noisier than normal. As I pulled out of the car park onto the main road I put my foot down and it sounded like I was driving a tractor. Pulled over and looked underneath and I have blown a hold in my exhaust downpipe and I can hear the turbo whistle even louder.

Just got a quote today to replace the whole exhaust as I knew the back box needed replacing. ÂŁ180 including labour and VAT. Chances are my Turbo is fine and I was just hearing it through a hole small enough for the high frequency to escape but not big enough to sound really bad yet. Phew :D

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I used to drive an old transit, when I did recovery, with the same whistle.
I must have got used to it as I was recovering a family and the young boy asked if the van had a siren......the whistle pitch altered as I accelerated and decelerated and the young kid thought it was a siren.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
New exhaust front to back installed today. Jeez my van has never sounded so good :D

It feels like it is performing better up hill as well or is this my imagination? I know back pressure helps on some petrol engines but don't know if it makes any difference on a turbo diesel?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My Fiat Ducato 2.3 JTD has blown its turbo hose twice in the 11 years we've had it. The silly manufacturer's alien technology jubilee clip was replaced by a standard one the first time, but even that gradually worked loose. It's worth checking from time to time as a slightly loose one can cause the engine to underperform. Only takes 5 minutes and a screwdriver.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Huh! noisy Exhaust?

Turn the radio up;)

Problem sorted :hi5:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Phew bet you were glad :D
Like you wouldn't believe....

Still got the welding, brake pipes, brake cable and shock absorbers to replace/repair. Couldn't face a turbo bill on top of that lot.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back