Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
Tunnel every time for me, done the last five years with the caravan. This is my first year with a motorhome.

Does anyone know about the gas regulations, I've always disconnected the caravan gas pipe before, but motorhome is fitted with gas low. Can it just be turned off at the tanks instead of disconnecting the pipes from the bottles.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Got to be ferry.
My reasoning....

Tunnel:
Consider the time waiting / queuing, then 35 minutes in a tunnel, the only scenery is the dashboard.
Refreshments....Cuppa from your flask.
Quicker than ferry.

Ferry:
1.5 hours on a ship.
Scenery is seascape, room to move around.
Refreshments...Full English on board.
Slower than tunnel but more leisurely mode of crossing.

All a matter of choice.

In support of the tunnel here
Turn up early (often) leave early
Punctual
35 mins in tunnel.. Watch a film.. Relax and listen to music.. Have a snack..

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Ferry, mostly.

Find the tunnel too expensive and we hate to give Mr Tesco any of our money. If we wanted to get there quickly we'd fly. Having the time is key. If you've only got 2 weeks you obviously need the train.

However, the tunnel is good in the winter. Apart from 'the wrong kind of snow' the train rarely stops. Discovered a useful tip last time on the train. We arrived early for our booking, the night before in fact, so we asked about travelling immediately. First train to go was £90 extra and second train £25. We transferred to the cheaper crossing but, because you can change to the crossing before (or after) yours for free, we got on the first one without further cost.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Tunnel every time for me, done the last five years with the caravan. This is my first year with a motorhome.

Does anyone know about the gas regulations, I've always disconnected the caravan gas pipe before, but motorhome is fitted with gas low. Can it just be turned off at the tanks instead of disconnecting the pipes from the bottles.

As long as the bottles are turned off it's fine, no need to disconnect.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
In a word, cheapest.
Just looked up prices, Sunday evening ferry £26 (up to 7 metres)
Tunnel £90.
So I pay £64 for an hour of MY TIME ?
I'm off on holiday in a MOTORHOME. What's the hurry?
you could leave home an hour earlier and save £64 and get to France at the same time? ? ?
For day-trips Tunnel was favourite if price right, but best of all was the Hovercraft, whoosh, 24 minutes on one occasion!
Hated the Sick-Cat (SEA- CAT) though. Also known as the Vomit Comet

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We are converted to the tunnel, not because we shop at Tesco or because we have a dog----------Even in the worst of weather the train only goes up and down once

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
In our case, I do as I am told.

I love the ferries (family were all Merchant seamen) Mrs ShiftZZ gets seasick and before you suggest that the boats are stable etc, she is an absolute Jonah, get her on a boat on a lake and within a nanosecond the heavens will open and gales of biblical proportions will appear.

So for us, it’s the tunnel, its quick, clean and you can sit in your van and it allows you o get off a lot quicker.

Mind you they did do a mean breakfast on the Ferry , yum yum and what’s better as far as I know, there was no evidence that Buttons was onboard.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I can understand the seasick thing. I've only been seasick once (when I was pregnant) and I thought I was dying! Normally a good traveller and haven't experienced a really bad crossing yet anyway.

[HI]By the way - noticed you're a frog catcher. Our pond is full of frogspawn. Come along in a few weeks and there will be plenty of frogs to catch.

Nosy question - what do you do with the frogs when you catch them? Oh no! Not eat them? Keep away from our pond[/HI].

I am so sorry... I missed your question... how rude you must think I am...:Blush:

My Frog Catching refers jokingly to me managing to snare one special "Frog" from Toulouse (aka Yodeli).

Better not post what I do with her...:ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Tunnel for me everytime, although an avid sailor, larger vessels do make me seasick so no blue wobbly stuff for me thanks. Plus the tesco vouchers of course. Beside that is is so quick, automated and generally so easy and restfull.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
TUNNEL!

Frequent travellers for me means £43 per journey plus £11 with a camper of any size.

Last journey out (June) it took 13 minutes to get from the M20 turn off to the inside of the carriage.

You'd spend the extra few pounds in the cafeteria on the ferry. But if you like queues for a cup of tea, and going up and down stairs this may suit you better.

Also having five return journeys pre-paid means I have the incentive to use my MH more often. It's no fun sat on the driveway! :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back