Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
Quite fancy trying out the channel tunnel to Calais this summer. Would appreciate hearing pros and cons of tunnel v ferry,. Price seems to be double by train and less than an hour quicker. Only want one way as not sure when coming back. Must admit we've never had any problem with the ferry - but if tunnel comes highly recommended would give it a try one way.

Just know I'll get some opinions from you all.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Tunnel every time for me.. cheapest one way us about £50 I think.. takes about 35 mins. If you're early you can often get an earlier one.. same if you're late I think (never been late).
You can get tickets with tescos clubcard points. You will find posts on here explaining that.
I like the speed and convenience.. but if you're not in a rush.. ...

peter125

Free Member
Nov 26, 2012
cardiff south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1982
tunnel

Hello we use the tunnel, as my wife suffers with virtigo and sea travel,if you get an late night or early am crossing you tend to get a better deal, also try booking thro the caravan club or others, as they get better discounts, the tunnel is realy good about 35 mins,but they do have delays, and are very busy around those peak dates so pick a quieter time if poss, on the times we have used the ferries they have been good, but its the tunnel for us first choice. have a great time which ever you choose, regards peter:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ferry. It gets the brain into Holiday Mode.

Used ferry once, whooooosh and you are there without the joy of seeing France approaching.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Ferry. Cheapest. Got a return crossing in June for £49.

Rgds
Bill

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
When we lived in Liverpool we always used the ferries as it was a break to stretch our legs and get a meal. But now we live near Dover so certainly don't want a 1.5 hour break 15 mins after setting off!!

We always use Tesco vouchers to pay for the tunnel which makes it next to nothing cost wise.

All down to personal choice though - I prefer the tunnel but you get better booze bargains on P & O (use them for shopping trips) ::bigsmile:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Ferry. It gets the brain into Holiday Mode.

Used ferry once, whooooosh and you are there without the joy of seeing France approaching.

Or rather Tunnel perhaps?? :winky::winky:

----------------------------------------------------
We're fans of the tunnel. Trains run as frequently as every 15 minutes at peak times, and at off-peak every 20 or 30 minutes - so never wait too long to load.

Have a snack in the van during 35 min journey - use flask of hot water for drinks (can't use gas).

As others have said, can arrive at departure up to 2 hours early and usually catch next train.

And perhaps more importantly, you can arrive up to 24 hours LATE, and still board the train without a problem - I believe.

Very easy to change bookings on the phone - extremely flexible - no admin charges - only pay more if crossing is more expensive.

Free if have sufficient Tesco vouchers. ::bigsmile:

All in all, very convenient. :thumb:

Mike

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Tunnel every time. We travel with our dogs and do not want to have to leave them below deck for the ferry journey. Tunnel only 35 mins and they are in the car/motorhome with us.
Also I suffer from seasickness so it's a no brainer for me.

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
ferry or tunnel

4 - 2 to the tunnel so far. Looks as if we'll have to give it a try. Thanks everyone

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Please note every vote for the tunnel will involve either;

1 A Tesco shopper, hence points
2 They have a dog / animal
3 Dislike of boats / seasick
4 They live very close to the port

:winky:
:ROFLMAO:o:ROFLMAO:

It is an experience if you have never done it but as you say time saving is not that great compared to maybe double the price on a ferry.
We also use the Ferry crossing as a good break from the travelling down from the Midlands..

If prices were the same then Tunnel would win..

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
I must admit I keep thinking tunnel but can never find the 50 quid each way everybody talks about,, two weeks ago travelled DFDS from Dover and my first experience was good I know people make comments about them.

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Tunnel every time for us. Five hours from leaving home we can be nearly 100 miles (well 75 or so) into France. The holiday begins for us once we are over the channel.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Spot on Tonka

1 A Tesco shopper, hence points------We only have a little Tesco so few points
2 They have a dog / animal-------------Leave the dog at home
3 Dislike of boats / seasick--------------I was in the Merchant Navy for over 20 years
4 They live very close to the port-------It's a 500 mile drive for us

Soooo, we use the ferry cos it's cheaper!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
weve never tried the tunnel as we dont shop at tescos so its always more expensive ive never got a quote of less than 70 quid one way
we do a late ferry and wild camp the night in calais ready for an early start next day

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We're fans of the tunnel. Trains run as frequently as every 15 minutes at peak times, and at off-peak every 20 or 30 minutes - so never wait too long to load.

Have a snack in the van during 35 min journey - use flask of hot water for drinks (can't use gas).

As others have said, can arrive at departure up to 2 hours early and usually catch next train.

And perhaps more importantly, you can arrive up to 24 hours LATE, and still board the train without a problem - I believe.

Very easy to change bookings on the phone - extremely flexible - no admin charges - only pay more if crossing is more expensive.

Free if have sufficient Tesco vouchers. ::bigsmile:

All in all, very convenient. :thumb:

Mike
Not sure about the 24hour 'travel' option there Mike, whilst you can amend your ticket up to 24 hours AFTER you were DUE to travel, I'm not aware that you can still actually TRAVEL on the original ticket more than 2 hours later than your original slot without the possibility of an extra charge.

We use the tunnel (Tesco R Us! :roflmto: ). We used to go on the ferry, even with us having dogs, but unfortunately one of them was extremely badly frightened a few years ago so now is petrified of them, so for us it has to be the tunnel ... not that I'm complaining you understand!::bigsmile:

We can usually get a crossing for around £66 each way, so £132 return, and using our Tesco vouchers exchanged to travel deals, we use £45 worth = £135 and lose the £3, or use £40 = £120 and pay the extra £12 ourselves, unfortunately, though, as with the ferries we have to pay for the dogs' crossings separately as we can't use travel vouchers for them - they alone cost us £90 return! :shout:
One thing to consider too, is it isn't just the crossing time for the ferry or tunnel but the loading/unloading too - on ferries it can take ages but on the tunnel it is really quick and you don't end up playing 'dodgems' when you drive off as you do with a ferry, especially if 2 dock at the same time!!!! :Eeek:

You won't beat some of the deals on the ferries though, so if you have no real reason to use the tunnel, then the ferry makes more sense. :Smile:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, this trip we came out early December so cold sometimes rough seas and short days and using Tesco points :winky: so a good move, come back May.

When we go in August we go on the ferry, long days warm and a cheap crossing.

We have a Dog and she is not bothered how she travels, but I prefer it on the train with her. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I don’t really mind, as has been previously written pros and cons.
In our case, Tesco a big issue (cheap) and Mrs ShiftZZ get sea sick.
Tunnel, easy, drive down there, stay in the van, get on get off, enjoy a cup of coffee in the tunnel, other side, drive off, job done.
Second benefit of tunnel, its closer to Cite de Europe and the Marina Aire.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Tunnel is really easy, drive on and within 35 mins you are in France, This year we are using the ferry as good deal £48 return dover to Dunkirk, let's hope our dog is going to be ok in the motorhome whilst we are on deck, i'm sure he'll be fine

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
Tunnel v ferry verdict

Thanks everyone

Well it ended up surprisingly even. Reading your replies as they came in I was thinking definitely tunnel but now I'm not so sure as it ended up 50:50. A rest on the boat after a longish drive down from Staffs can be useful but then we could rest on the other side! It will come down to price I think which may mean tunnel as £35 of Tesco vouchers will give us a one way ticket. Not likely to find a ferry ticket any cheaper although I shall look.

Will come back ferry as we park overnight on the dock and catch an early boat the next morning. An overpriced breakfast uses up a lot of the time and then we're heading home.

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
tunnel v ferry

I can understand the seasick thing. I've only been seasick once (when I was pregnant) and I thought I was dying! Normally a good traveller and haven't experienced a really bad crossing yet anyway.

By the way - noticed you're a frog catcher. Our pond is full of frogspawn. Come along in a few weeks and there will be plenty of frogs to catch.

Nosy question - what do you do with the frogs when you catch them? Oh no! Not eat them? Keep away from our pond.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Some years ago we left home to get on a pre-booked Ferry, 230 miles to Dover, on a perfect Spring day – birds singing, blue sky and sunny.

Four hours later as we approached Dover the clouds rolled in, the rain came down and the wind had built up.

There was a force ten gale blowing in the Channel and nothing was leaving Port in the near, or even far, future.

We were only going for a weekend break and the thought of a day or two stuck in Dover watching the inclement weather wasn't very pleasant.

We phoned Eurotunnel and they gave us a ticket on the first train possible if we drove the ten miles to the Tunnel Terminal.

They saved our short break holiday and we've used them ever since.

Our journey from home takes between four and eight hours to get to Folkestone and the flexibility Eurotunnel give allows us to not worry if we are delayed for any reason.

Ferries for those with limited budget and/or time to spare and the Tunnel for the rest!

:france::france::france:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I can understand the seasick thing. I've only been seasick once (when I was pregnant) and[HI] I thought I was dying! [/HI] Normally a good traveller and haven't experienced a really bad crossing yet anyway.

By the way - noticed you're a frog catcher. Our pond is full of frogspawn. Come along in a few weeks and there will be plenty of frogs to catch.

Nosy question - what do you do with the frogs when you catch them? Oh no! Not eat them? Keep away from our pond.

There are 2 stages of seasickness....The first is when you think you are dying ! The second is when you hope you are !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The only cure for it is to sit under an oak tree !!

Re. the Frog catcher......she is called Frankie and resides in Toulouse !!:Blush:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks everyone

It will come down to price I think which may mean tunnel as £35 of Tesco vouchers will give us a one way ticket. Not likely to find a ferry ticket any cheaper although I shall look.

Why does it cost you £35 for a one-way ticket on Eurotunnel? Each crossing for us normally costs between £62-£66 so that's approx £20 of Tesco vouchers ... unless of course you're travelling at peak times.:whatthe:

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
Ferry for me tomorrow morning - sat on the front at Dover only 6 vans here tonight - went for a walk round Dover tonight - its definitely gone down hill since I last visited.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Not sure about the 24hour 'travel' option there Mike, whilst you can amend your ticket up to 24 hours AFTER you were DUE to travel, I'm not aware that you can still actually TRAVEL on the original ticket more than 2 hours later than your original slot without the possibility of an extra charge.

Thanks Mel - you may well be correct about the 'possibility' of an extra charge.

http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/ticket-terms/

We haven't had to use the facility of amending AFTER scheduled departure. But with one ticket last year we had to change our departure date no less than 3 times. And on each occasion I was really impressed by how helpful the Eurotunnel reservation staff were and how easy it was.

According to the T&Cs on the website it says there may be an extra charge for any changes - but in our case there were none. One of the changed dates was made months in advance and the final date change was only 24 hours before the scheduled crossing.

However, what I did do was to check the current prices / times available each time, immediately prior to speaking to the company. I mostly managed to find fares that were the same or less than originally booked. I think with the last-minute date change, the only crossing that suited us cost an extra fiver, and I happily paid that. But there were no admin supplements or anything, just that in the event the available fare was slightly dearer.

At the end of the day I guess it's in their hands, but can only describe what we experienced.

Mike :thumb:

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
ferry v tunnel

Why does it cost you £35 for a one-way ticket on Eurotunnel? Each crossing for us normally costs between £62-£66 so that's approx £20 of Tesco vouchers ... unless of course you're travelling at peak times.:whatthe:

I haven't studied the tunnel fares - just thought it looked as if was around £94. May have looked at it wrongly. Travelling mid May into June probably around 2pm. Would be delighted with £60. Must look again.
Thank you

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I have never used the tunnel before ,
If when over in France I decide --I`m liking this too much` :thumb:
Can I just turn up for the return trip ,days after my booked slot and get a ride?

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Got to be ferry.
My reasoning....

Tunnel:
Consider the time waiting / queuing, then 35 minutes in a tunnel, the only scenery is the dashboard.
Refreshments....Cuppa from your flask.
Quicker than ferry.

Ferry:
1.5 hours on a ship.
Scenery is seascape, room to move around.
Refreshments...Full English on board.
Slower than tunnel but more leisurely mode of crossing.

All a matter of choice.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Most tickets are transferable but I would advise ringing to make any changes. We have in the past and it was completely painless :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back