LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
We booked 2 tunnel crossings at the end of January, and were supposed to go to France and Spain in September. We decided to change our plans and spend the winter in southern Spain, but we cant change the second tunnel crossing as the tickets have to be used within a year!

We didn't read the small print, so now we are stuck! we cant change the date and they dont refund.

I dont know whether this applies to ferry crossings as well, but in the future we will be very careful before we book in advance!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am sorry to learn of your difficulties re your tunnel tickets... were they a special discount price or something? :Sad:

I am surprised too because I use the tunnel all the time and have done over many years (I am very seasick) and have consistently found them to be one of the very best companies at all levels that I have ever dealt with. All their staff have been friendly and helpful always... :thumb:

When Smudger with his huge RV and trailer came back with me via the tunnel they couldn't do enought to assist us... :thumb:

Our Portuguese company went through with twenty tons of illusions etc in January and found them the same... :thumb:

I know this doesn't help with the fact that they won't change your ticket dates (for free) but I have posted because I would hate Funsters to be put off Euro Tunnel because of this problem.

And "No" I am not a shareholder :winky: (thank goodness... my brother was and lost the lot!)

JJ :Cool:

PS. I never book (always online) more than a couple of days in advance as there are so many crossings I have rarely found any full... and if is it is only twenty minutes until the next one anyway.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Some years back when we lived in Kent EuroT did afternoon return trips for £9 for car & passengers............great till you loose the return ticket which I managed. After an hour or so searching pockets and the car without success they charged over £100 to get home......................we found it a year later down the car seat:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
somewhat surprised as well

Like JJ I am not a shareholder or involved with the tunnel other than as a passenger.

This summer..over East weekend my daughter had to return early due to a car issue.. in fact 24 hours early on a fixed date and price ticket.. They were expecting to have to pay more money.. they charged her £4.00 now that is good.

we take our RV and trailer over by train all the time, always helpful.

Bob:thumb:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
They were brilliant and very helpful to us when Susie's passport was incorrectly filled in and they didn't charge us a toll for late arrival at the given time, down to the fact we had to go to the vet in Calais and get it stamped again on proof of the correct date given.:thumb:

We are certainly going to use them again and have in fact changed our tesco vouchers ready for the trip back in September, they put a note on our records so that the delay wont happen again:thumb:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I think its down tom who you get on the day, ive always found the tunnel too expensive, whereas i tend to get deals on the ferries. Sometimes on the ferrry, ive returned early and no charge, the last time i got charged £60 (different day), i have found that if ive booked through the caravan club, its the kiss of death and i end up paying.
Norolk line (DFDS) can be the cheapest, but you probably increase the chance of paying if you change a date/time. Now we are motorhomers, it will be interesting to see how the game progresses::bigsmile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
We booked 2 tunnel crossings at the end of January, and were supposed to go to France and Spain in September. We decided to change our plans and spend the winter in southern Spain, but we cant change the second tunnel crossing as the tickets have to be used within a year!

We didn't read the small print, so now we are stuck! we cant change the date and they dont refund.

I dont know whether this applies to ferry crossings as well, but in the future we will be very careful before we book in advance!

It will cost you £100 for the return, you pull up and buy another ticket to get home.

Be prepared to be searched, as these are flagged as high risk by customs, as usually tickets are planned ahead, and smugglers predominantly buy terminal tickets on arrival....so if you are thinking of going over your quotas, be aware!!

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007

This is a suggestion that might or might not work. Rather than loosing out completely on a retrun ticket, would it be possible to advertise it on the MHF site in the hope someone who has not booked their retrun leg might be able to use it. You would not get back the whole value of the ticket but it might cut your losses.
If this idea is a non starter someone will tell us, but if it works it could save you some cash

Trying to be helpful

Norman

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
This is a suggestion that might or might not work. Rather than loosing out completely on a retrun ticket, would it be possible to advertise it on the MHF site in the hope someone who has not booked their retrun leg might be able to use it. You would not get back the whole value of the ticket but it might cut your losses.
If this idea is a non starter someone will tell us, but if it works it could save you some cash

Trying to be helpful

Norman

A great idea!

The question is, if it is not refundable, would it be transferable??

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

Trying to be helpful

Norman

I have just had an email from the Tunnel, non refundable, non transferable! looks as though we are just going to have to go!!!

After all a yorkshire doesn't like to waste money!!!

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
do they actually check?

I have just had an email from the Tunnel, non refundable, non transferable! looks as though we are just going to have to go!!!

After all a yorkshire doesn't like to waste money!!!

These days at both sides there automatic booths.. they just want the booking number put in to the machine....however there are number plate readers on all booths, so they made have them linked?

I am not suggesting you try it.. just an observation.

Bob:thumb:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I'd got some 4x face value Tesco rewards tokens that I exchanged for Euro Tunnel vouchers in December '10 and needed to make the booking by the end of this month (June '11), before they went out of date. I'd got enough for two return trips and wanted one for September this year and one for next June. Problem is June 2012 is not on sale yet, and my Tesco vouchers were about to expire.

The helpful Euro Tunnel staff explained that any tickets I booked now would be valid for 12 months, so even though I couldn't reserve the crossing for NEXT June, I could book any other dates and then when June '12 goes on sale just change the reservation! No charge, other than if there is a price difference in the required ticket for next June, which I reckon is fair enough - in fact very good.

I'm well pleased with their service and the system.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back