Tunnel gas check on van with m/c on towbar? (1 Viewer)

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I intend to carry a small motorcycle on back of MH and am wondering how it will affect the checking of gas bottles being off by Tunnel staff as they are behind back door(the bottles -not staff).Only thing I can think of is to make access inside on top of bottles to save taking m/c off.Anyone come across this problem?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Tell that that the gas is turned off and if necessary show them that you cannot light the hob.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We just said ours was off and she waved us through !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If there is no passage for gas into the hab side don't go and cut a hole.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Normal EU rules apply:rolleyes:
At the British side they insist on having the locker opened and physically checking the gas is off.
At the French side they occasionally ask if its off, but normally gas isn't mentioned.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I must have an honest face ::bigsmile:

Must have, I obviously don't, can't imagine why can you.

images

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We cross using the tunnel twice a year.

In Britain we have always been asked to demonstrate that the gas is off. On one occasion the young lady checked for herself. Only problem being she checked the gas bottle that was not connected up.

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
Always use the tunnel, and we are always asked if the gas is off. Never had anyone ask to verify it's turned off. Maybe we have honest faces!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We always get asked and have to show it's turned off in our PVC when using the tunnel. When we came back a week ago they were being very strict with everything and the queues were long!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Normal EU rules apply:rolleyes:
At the British side they insist on having the locker opened and physically checking the gas is off.
At the French side they occasionally ask if its off, but normally gas isn't mentioned.
Have been asked at the British side but no one has ever checked. This time at Dover no one even asked. Never been asked on the French side.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I intend to carry a small motorcycle on back of MH and am wondering how it will affect the checking of gas bottles being off by Tunnel staff as they are behind back door(the bottles -not staff).Only thing I can think of is to make access inside on top of bottles to save taking m/c off.Anyone come across this problem?
Would you be able to open the door at all to get a hand onto the bottle knobs so they could physically feel that they are off, they don't need to actually see them to confirm they are off?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Always had to open the locker and show that it's off.

That's usually the point where I actually turn it off because I always forget :whistle:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Came back on the 19th this month,had Underslung tank control cover off , at Dover end,got pulled into one side and asked if gas was off,i said yes and showed him the cover i had put in the cab,he then asked where the tank was and got down on his knees and physically checked that the tap was indeed off. Cannot fault them,at least you know someone is careing enough to ensure we are safe .
There is bound to be CCTV cameras smothering all this area,so even if you are asked but not checked,they will have you on camera,how long to switch it off ? Seconds.
Tea Bag

OP
OP
Chris51
Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Would you be able to open the door at all to get a hand onto the bottle knobs so they could physically feel that they are off, they don't need to actually see them to confirm they are off?
Only way to gain access to bottles is by openning n/s back door-which means taking m/c off rack (quite a job)which is why only way as I see it is to make access to bottles from inside van by making another gaslocker access door.I have an inline tap from gas bottles I can get to from under mattress if they are happy with that? This must be a common problem with vans with a rack on back and bottles inside back door.Thanks for all replies-Chris.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Only way to gain access to bottles is by openning n/s back door-which means taking m/c off rack (quite a job)which is why only way as I see it is to make access to bottles from inside van by making another gaslocker access door.I have an inline tap from gas bottles I can get to from under mattress if they are happy with that? This must be a common problem with vans with a rack on back and bottles inside back door.Thanks for all replies-Chris.
I would imagine they'd want to see the actual bottles turned off, not just a 'tap' ... sorry ... :(

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I've made 6 return tunnel crossings and have never been asked.
Possibly because I drive a PVC?
It's a well known fact that PVC drivers always turn off their gas :)

Must be because they never check mine either

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
When we had the Autosleeper I couldn't be bothered to turn the underslung tank tap off because it meant removing the cover, so I showed them inside to where the distribution taps were and they were fine with that. The last trip over in our new van, I showed them the bottle in the locker, he looked at the bottle and didn't even check the tap was off
Some will scrabble about underneath if need be, others will just accept your word, especially if it's raining

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back