Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
Catching the 7.20pm train tomorrow and the missus is getting a bit concerned about the increasing trouble with the migrants.
Was going to stay at Cite Europe but not to happy, so might go to St Omer, anyone seen any problems recently or have advice about the area. .
Thanks,
Keith..

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Catching the 7.20pm train tomorrow and the missus is getting a bit concerned about the increasing trouble with the migrants.
Was going to stay at Cite Europe but not to happy, so might go to St Omer, anyone seen any problems recently or have advice about the area. .
Thanks,
Keith..
7.20 at night or morning, if morning you will be well out of Calais if night you won't want to be going far.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
When we came out at beginning of this month late evening, Cite Europe was half filled with cars with people drinking from bottles. We just drove on to the aire at Wissett for the night.

fred flintstone

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
lincoln
Funster No
MH
Pilote P690
Exp
Since 2007 on and off
I used to stay in Calais but even though I never had any problems I never felt 100% safe.

I stay at a lovely little village with a free aire at Hondshoote. Approx 56 km East from Calais.

Satnav coordinates : Longitude : 2.59 Latitude : 50.98306

Address :
RUE DE BERGUES
59122 Hondschoote

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
We were at Cite Europe last week and there wasn't a migrant to be seen. Several people stayed there all night as they said it's very secure. We stayed at Gravelines as we often do but I would have happily stayed at Cite Europe.

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
We always get off the tunnel and drive to the Marina and stay there for 7 euro's.We arrived at 3.30 in the morning a few weeks ago and never saw any immigrants.We stayed the night peacefully with a several other campers.!On our return we arrived mid afternoon stayed on the aire on the sea front(no sign of immigrants)then went to the Marina to spend the night.We always have a meal in the restaurant Le Detroit.opp the marina.!19 euros.3 course although they normally give you a "chefs compliments" which makes it 4 courses.Highly recommend!!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
When we came out at beginning of this month late evening, Cite Europe was half filled with cars with people drinking from bottles. We just drove on to the aire at Wissett for the night.
To be fair in all the years we've been coming and going (we usually stay on our outward and homebound journey) we haven't even seen a car in the specified area for motorhomers. Occasionally seen a couple of taggers but other than that, not a single car let alone people drinking at them. We have seen loads of people sleeping in cars, vans etc at Calais docks though. It's definitely Cite Europe for us. Plus, never seen immigrants there either. Never.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Thanks,
Keith..
The security around the tunnel has been upgraded substantially, I was there in May and didn't see a single migrant. I haven't stopped at cite Europe but there are often vans parked there. I cross about three times a year, sometimes four. If your leaving the UK at 7.20pm you will be driving off the train about 8pm UK time so will still be daylight. I'd go to Gravelines (about 20-25 minute drive). Very nice aire, was 7 euros last time I stopped, might have gone up by now. was card payments, not sure if it accepted coins but someone else might be able to verify.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Thanks,
Keith..
We always use the tunnel at that time and have never had any problems.
We always drive to Neufchatel-en-Bray though.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We usually go to Bergues. Aire is free but gets full in the evenings so you may be a little late for that.
We have been twice this year and not seen an immigrant, I think the tunnel is a non-starter for them now.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The security around the tunnel has been upgraded substantially, I was there in May and didn't see a single migrant. I haven't stopped at cite Europe but there are often vans parked there. I cross about three times a year, sometimes four. If your leaving the UK at 7.20pm you will be driving off the train about 8pm UK time so will still be daylight. I'd go to Gravelines (about 20-25 minute drive). Very nice aire, was 7 euros last time I stopped, might have gone up by now. was card payments, not sure if it accepted coins but someone else might be able to verify.
Just seen the 7.20 PM so agree yes gravelines for me, but no problem with cite europe

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
CITE EUROPE,

WE HAVE STAYED HERE FOUR TIMES THIS YEAR

VERY SAFE, NO SITE OF MIGRANTS, THREE CARS PARK IN THE PARKING AREA ALLOCATED FOR MH'S AND NO ONE DRINKING OUT BOTTLES !!!! (meanders did you stay in the correct car park?)

SAFE AS HOUSES.

colyboy

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Last time we came through the "Chunnel" We had hundreds of screaming migrants brandishing Bricks, shovels, and knives coming for us so I just drove at them and killed a few, the others soon ran away.
Just kidding. No trouble at all at the tunnel, or Cite Europe.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for the info folks.
We are going midday on 6th Sept on route to Croatia.
Good news about no migrants, but I think we will be getting straight onto the 25/16 autoroute and get some miles done.
Mitch.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Last time we came through the "Chunnel" We had hundreds of screaming migrants brandishing Bricks, shovels, and knives coming for us so I just drove at them and killed a few, the others soon ran away.
... perhaps they were wanting to eat a bit of English 'roast beef'! :D

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks for the info folks.
We are going midday on 6th Sept on route to Croatia.
Good news about no migrants, but I think we will be getting straight onto the 25/16 autoroute and get some miles done.
Mitch.
Probably see you there then if we don't get held up, we are booked on 15.50 but hope to be there earlier.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Probably see you there then if we don't get held up, we are booked on 15.50 but hope to be there earlier.

We're also booked on the 15:50 on the 6th and planning to overnight at Gravel inescapable.

Pete

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
I used to stay in Calais but even though I never had any problems I never felt 100% safe.

I stay at a lovely little village with a free aire at Hondshoote. Approx 56 km East from Calais.

Satnav coordinates : Longitude : 2.59 Latitude : 50.98306

Address :
RUE DE BERGUES
59122 Hondschoote

Yes -We've used this one a number of times and it's a great spot off the beaten track. Also Used Gravelines and the Aire at Tardinghen.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Stayed Friday night at Baie de Somme then parked up Saturday morning at Cite d'Europe then onto the Calais harbour aire. After an afternoon walking the beach we had a meal at the Cote d'argent before catching the Chunnel at 0800hr on the Sunday morning. No sign of immigrants or any issues.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We have probably stayed the night at Cite Europe half a dozen times in the last year.
Never had any problems or seen anything dodgy.
Five minutes from the tunnel and free.

Richard.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
CITE EUROPE,

WE HAVE STAYED HERE FOUR TIMES THIS YEAR

VERY SAFE, NO SITE OF MIGRANTS, THREE CARS PARK IN THE PARKING AREA ALLOCATED FOR MH'S AND NO ONE DRINKING OUT BOTTLES !!!! (meanders did you stay in the correct car park?)

SAFE AS HOUSES.

colyboy
Absolutely the right car park. Used it many many times before. Only two other Mh there.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Stayed there several times but never seen anything like that.

Joe

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If the gates open near Lidl's near city Europe there's a gate there that takes you straight into the tunnel approach just before the French customs.

Joe

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Question for all you seasoned travellers.
Why does it sometimes take longer to go North through the Dartford Tunnels than to get to France through the Channel Tunnel.?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back